Composers like John Williams..

Hey guys..

I'm very new here, but absolutley what John has done in the movie, Crimson Tide. I love that kind of music. I only know of one other composer like that. He is Hans Zimmer. I know his work from Gladiator and I believe Black Hawk Down.

I love that kind of music. I don't know how to describe it. It is slow and then has real fast, high climactic points in the piece.

If you guys know any other composers of this sort, please show me the light.

Dan H.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I wasn't.

I figure you are saying that no composer is alike?

If not, then I don't know what I'm joking about.

I'm not a audiophile. I don't listen to John's music all the time. When I do listen, I really like some of what he does.

It was a question from someone who knows little about the topic.

Thanks though,

Dan

well, I guess I'd go on to amazon.com and start looking at some soundtracks for some movies. Look around the board and see some composers' names and check them out.

Ren :)

Crimson Tide was composed by Hans zimmer, not John Williams.

Of course Gladiator and Black Hawk Down are similar, they're composed by the same person.

I have no problem with it, but some people on this board get really offended if you mistake Zimmer with Williams.

Sorry man.

I have only just started looking into and gather some information on this music. I guess somewhere along the way I got Williams and Crimson Tide mixed up. That is my bad.

Again sorry.

Thanks for the help Ren!

Later guys,

Dan H.

These composers are the most like JW to certain extents:

Richard Wagner

Richard Strauss

Igor Stravinsky (pre-serial works)

Arnold Schoenberg (Verklärte Nacht only)

Dmitri Shostakovich

Peter Illych Tchaikovsky

Sergei Prokofiev

Gustav Holst

Jean Sibelius

And if you want, you could include me in that list LOL

Besides John Williams, some of my favorite film composers are:

Alan Silvestri

Jerry Goldsmith

James Horner

John Barry

Elmer Bernstein

Danny Elfman

Howard Shore

Ray Barnsbury

I'm not a fan of Zimmer (that's why I'm posting at a Williams board, and not a Zimmer board :) ), but since the poster asked for music that sounds like Crimson Tide, Black Hawk Down and Gladiator, I'd obviously recommend checking out the other works of Media Ventures composers like Mark Mancina and Nick Glennie-Smith. I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of any. That's the route I'd go for.

Neil

Prokofiev and Walton, principally.

Williams owes an awful lot to Liszt, Wagner and Strauss, but mostly on a technical level (use and development of leitmotif). None of those composers "sound" like Williams, at least not enough to guarantee you will instantly love them.

Herrmann is more like Holst than Williams is. That comparison is getting awfully tiresome. A couple of bars in Star Wars, and everyone thinks everything Williams has ever written sounds like Holst. Not a very penetrating analysis.

David Arnold's score to "Stargate" sounds a lot like something Williams would have written.

Crimson Tide still is a great score though.

Contrairy to what these losers will say. :oops:  :)  

Justin - :)

Loser's

Take that back John Zimmer, err I mean Justin.

You must have a duality issue. :(

You are obviously hooked on the distinctly BIG Zimmeresque sound that is ultimately more accessible to the masses, due to the pop/rock style complexities. Have to admit 'Backdraft' is one of my favourites from long ago!

Welcome Dan!

If Hans Zimmer (& co.) can entice you(and the masses) to discover more film music and its composers then I say BRAVO! The more, the merrier!

(still can't persuade my fiance to like the genre though, ah well!)

Check out www.musicfromthemovies.co.uk or www.filmtracks.com for a pretty comprehensive list of recommended soundtracks. Happy hunting!