Zimmer and Spielberg part company, Williams may do Indy 4 afterall!

JoeinAR

In a surprising announcement yesterday, spokespersons for Amblin announced that Spielberg and long time friend Hans Zimmer had parted ways over Spielberg's newest film Indiana Jones #4.

Spielberg had been excited that Zimmer would be giving his fourth installment of the Indiana Jones series a new voice. Speculation is that Spielberg will turn back to long time friend and collaborator John Williams to reprise his role as composer on the film, though there is a possibility that Spielberg might bring in Quincy Jones, or James Horner. He's still in shock, one person was heard to say. Apparently Spielberg was very excited to finally have a Zimmer on board after the success of Zimmer's work on recent blockbuster films. "He was dishearted," one person said to learn of Zimmer's conflict which resulted in his dropping off the picture. Spielberg himself said: "He had begun reworking John's basic Indiana Jones theme and the results were exciting." Indiana Jones 4 which began filming this summer and expects to wrap up filming in October is to be released Memorial Day 2008.

All I can say is thank goodness. Indiana Jones with an electronic sound, no thanks.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a surprising announcement yesterday, spokespersons for Amblin announced that Spielberg and long time friend Hans Zimmer had parted ways over Spielberg's newest film Indiana Jones #4.

Spielberg had been excited that Zimmer would be giving his fourth installment of the Indiana Jones series a new voice. Speculation is that Spielberg will turn back to long time friend and collaborator John Williams to reprise his role as composer on the film, though there is a possibility that Spielberg might bring in Quincy Jones, or James Horner. He's still in shock, one person was heard to say. Apparently Spielberg was very excited to finally have a Zimmer on board after the success of Zimmer's work on recent blockbuster films. "He was dishearted," one person said to learn of Zimmer's conflict which resulted in his dropping off the picture. Spielberg himself said: "He had begun reworking John's basic Indiana Jones theme and the results were exciting." Indiana Jones 4 which began filming this summer and expects to wrap up filming in October is to be released Memorial Day 2008.

All I can say is thank goodness. Indiana Jones with an electronic sound, no thanks.

Huh? Didn't catch up on that. Why the hell is there any doubt whether Williams should do it or not. Is something wrong with Spielberg or what?

Pity, Zimmer could have really brought something interesting to the table.

With Williams it will just be the usual Boom- tzzzzz!

Yeah,

Like all the other Indiana Jones soundtracks. Totally uninspiring with complete thematic void and full of boom-tzzzs.

Stefan.......what tha....? :huh:

The first 3 Indy scores were very good, but that was so long ago, Williams is such a hack now, or just merely a shadow of his former self.

If the prequels have taught us anything it's that Williams should not be allowed to revisit his old music, let him score a prequel to The Terminal or something.

Haha.

Sad part is, joking or not, Steef has a point.

Oh joy! Belly of the Steel Beast version 17! At least this time it's right at home in the Indy universe.

But who knows, maybe the ol' man still has a couple of tricks in his sleeve and WOWS us all to hell and back and over again.

Yes I think I've hinted at that in other threads, but a little more politely. The score for IJ IV will be Williams of 2008, not 1981, 1984, or 1989.

The first 3 Indy scores were very good, but that was so long ago, Williams is such a hack now, or just merely a shadow of his former self.

If the prequels have taught us anything it's that Williams should not be allowed to revisit his old music, let him score a prequel to The Terminal or something.

Ohhhhh harsh man!

Yeah OK I agree. The SW prequels are nowhere near as good as the original trilogy but he is still an amazing composer.

I mean what about the HP scores?

Weren’t they incredible? They were only done a few years ago. I personally absolutely loved the first score and I consider it to be a classic Williams.

I still think he is the man for the job. Who knows. maybe he gathered some strength with the long break he had.

Since 2000 he's only written two great film scores.

Prisoner of Azkaban and Memoirs of Geisha. The latter I can't even stand on album, I hate it, but I cannot argue that in the context of the movie it works wonders and lifts many scenes.

Prisoner of Azkaban alone, in my opinion can fit right in with the best of his works from 1975-1985.

The rest of his scores have struck me too much as "it's necessary, so I shall have music present" music. Certainly competent and acceptable, but nothing stellar. Same pretty much for the albums.

Prisoner of Azkaban and Memoirs of Geisha. The latter I can't even stand on album, I hate it, but I cannot argue that in the context of the movie it works wonders and lifts many scenes.

Prisoner of Azkaban alone, in my opinion can fit right in with the best of his works from 1975-1985.

The rest of his scores have struck me too much as "it's necessary, so I shall have music present" music. Certainly competent and acceptable, but nothing stellar. Same pretty much for the albums.

yeah I see what you mean, not to the full extend of "it's necessary, so I shall have music present" but I kindda feel the same

on the other hand I loved the first two Harry Potter scores and found POA boring.

I totally agree with MOAG

Sorcerer's Stone was actually pretty good too here and there, I just have something against it as I have something against Home Alone and Hook, and all those light fluffy scores. It all just comes across to me as generic twinkly music with no meaning.

Listen to something like Edward Scissorhands by comparison...I dare you not to be moved by it.

But then, I'm the guy who likes the opening tracks of ET 10x more than the escape music.

Williams and Spielberg had a fallout after Geisha.

Yes, quite nasty that. Indy 4 filming delayed again while Spielberg's in the hospital with multiple stabbing wounds from a conductor's baton.... :huh:

John- excited by this news and quite happy with Williams of 2008

Sorcerer's Stone was actually pretty good too here and there, I just have something against it as I have something against Home Alone and Hook, and all those light fluffy scores. It all just comes across to me as generic twinkly music with no meaning. Listen to something like Edward Scissorhands by comparison...I dare you not to be moved by it.But then, I'm the guy who likes the opening tracks of ET 10x more than the escape music.
Oh yeah, Edward Scissorhands is very moving indeed. I love it. Harry Potter is meant to be more magical than moving though. ET? I would take any track at any time. It's my most faiv score of all time!
He wasn't. Just Joe's idea of a funny way to while away the time....
:huh:

Yes I think I've hinted at that in other threads, but a little more politely. The score for IJ IV will be Williams of 2008, not 1981, 1984, or 1989.

You're right. Morlock is wrong.

Neil

The reason William's scores aren't as iconic anymore is because big brass fanfares like Superman wouldn't fit in something like Minority Report, or Home Alone. He's simply becoming able to adapt better to different types of film, which is something many composers (such as Danny Elfman and Hans Zimmer) lack.

And since when was Hans Zimmer going to score Indiana Jones 4?? I had no clue! Does this mean all future projects of Spielberg will be scored by Zimmer? He's a great composer, but no where near as good as Williams!!

I'm lost, is this a joke? When was Spielberg considering Hans Zimmer or Quincey Jones?

Do we know what the fallout was about? Was it big? Speilberg can't stop 32 years of tradition and excellent film scores just because they had one small creative argument! And he confirmed several months ago that he's using Williams for Lincoln and Interstellar, right? And he used Williams for Munich, which came out after Geisha, right?? I can't belive he's actually considering different composers!

Catch Me If You Can, A.I., the other Harry Potter scores, The Terminal, and the Star Wars prequels were excellent works as well. While the rest may not be as great for purley listening to by themselves, they still fit their movies perfectly.

Isn't this article parody? Because I has thought that Williams had been signed onto this project for a good few months already...

EDIT: Yes...I guess it was just a joke. Well I feel dumb now. :huh:

I'm lost, is this a joke? When was Spielberg considering Hans Zimmer or Quincey Jones?

Do we know what the fallout was about? Was it big? Speilberg can't stop 32 years of tradition and excellent film scores just because they had one small creative argument! And he confirmed several months ago that he's using Williams for Lincoln and Interstellar, right? And he used Williams for Munich, which came out after Geisha, right?? I can't belive he's actually considering different composers!

Quoth Spielberg: "I can never make a movie without John Williams". (Uttered years after "The Color Purple")

Quoth Spielberg: "I can never make a movie without John Williams". (Uttered years after "The Color Purple")

Well, maybe Steven Spielberg's half brother Quoth said that, but that says nothing of Steven's commitment to JW. I may be wrong, but didn't Spielberg also say he could no longer work with Williams because of the 'Old man stink' eminating from Williams?

Was that before or after Williams kicked his ass for pushing Munich's score to be nominated, thus robbing him of the oscar he so desperately wanted for Geisha?

Was that before or after Williams kicked his ass for pushing Munich's score to be nominated, thus robbing him of the oscar he so desperately wanted for Geisha?

Huh?

I'm thinking after.

The Last Crusade used a fake choir, and I did not hear anyone complaing about that.Also Zimmer's excotic music would have fitted well with the locations this film is gonna be set in.
Devil's advocate?
In a surprising announcement yesterday, spokespersons for Amblin announced that Spielberg and long time friend Hans Zimmer had parted ways over Spielberg's newest film Indiana Jones #4.Spielberg had been excited that Zimmer would be giving his fourth installment of the Indiana Jones series a new voice. Speculation is that Spielberg will turn back to long time friend and collaborator John Williams to reprise his role as composer on the film, though there is a possibility that Spielberg might bring in Quincy Jones, or James Horner. He's still in shock, one person was heard to say. Apparently Spielberg was very excited to finally have a Zimmer on board after the success of Zimmer's work on recent blockbuster films. "He was dishearted," one person said to learn of Zimmer's conflict which resulted in his dropping off the picture. Spielberg himself said: "He had begun reworking John's basic Indiana Jones theme and the results were exciting." Indiana Jones 4 which began filming this summer and expects to wrap up filming in October is to be released Memorial Day 2008.All I can say is thank goodness. Indiana Jones with an electronic sound, no thanks.
Hoax/joke

I'm thinking after.

For a 75 year old he packs quite a punch.

The Last Crusade used a fake choir, and I did not hear anyone complaing about that.Also Zimmer's excotic music would have fitted well with the locations this film is gonna be set in.
Devil's advocate?
In a surprising announcement yesterday, spokespersons for Amblin announced that Spielberg and long time friend Hans Zimmer had parted ways over Spielberg's newest film Indiana Jones #4.Spielberg had been excited that Zimmer would be giving his fourth installment of the Indiana Jones series a new voice. Speculation is that Spielberg will turn back to long time friend and collaborator John Williams to reprise his role as composer on the film, though there is a possibility that Spielberg might bring in Quincy Jones, or James Horner. He's still in shock, one person was heard to say. Apparently Spielberg was very excited to finally have a Zimmer on board after the success of Zimmer's work on recent blockbuster films. "He was dishearted," one person said to learn of Zimmer's conflict which resulted in his dropping off the picture. Spielberg himself said: "He had begun reworking John's basic Indiana Jones theme and the results were exciting." Indiana Jones 4 which began filming this summer and expects to wrap up filming in October is to be released Memorial Day 2008.All I can say is thank goodness. Indiana Jones with an electronic sound, no thanks.
Hoax/joke

its quite obviously real

Yes, Joe would never post false information nor would he play it off as a joke.

It's a 100% true.

thanks Mark, at least someone here knows I have integrity.

ok, even I laughed at that.

I think you overstate it.

Zimmer seems like he is intimidated. I like him much better now. He knows he's out of Williams league.

He was being fanciful and telling a story. I wouldn't take what he said as being an anouncement. I'm sure he'd love to work with Spielberg (Billy Goldenberg and Jerry Goldsmith, the other two composer Spielberg has worked with, did), and I think it very likely that Spielberg might turn to Zimmer if JW were to leave the picture.

He certainly knows his place. I wouldn't mind if he scored a Spielberg, as long as it wasn't instead of Williams (in other words, wait until Williams retires)

Personally I'm hoping when the time comes for Spielberg to choose a new composer, he either goes with Bruce Broughton or Giacchino.

Spielberg likes working with people he knows. And though he does have some kind of relationship with Giacchino and Broughton (I'd love for him to work with Giacchino), he seems to be far more friendly with Zimmer(and, let's not forget- people LOVE working with Zimmer).

Personally I'm hoping when the time comes for Spielberg to choose a new composer, he either goes with Bruce Broughton or Giacchino.

I would want Zimmer. I would say Elfman, but he can't change his type of score with the frequently changing styles of Spielberg. Giachinno wouldn't be bad either, and I also wouldn't mind Alan Silvestri, and (from what I've heard) Nicholas Hooper. The only Shore score I've heard is LotR, so I guess he'd be fine, assuming he could adapt to different styles of music.

Why do people love working w/ Zimmer??