The Hobbit (1977 animated film)

diskobolus

A friend of mine just ordered this DVD off amazon and we're super stoked to watch it. We both remember seeing it like fifteen years ago. Has anyone else watched this? The animation is so much more compelling than all the cartoons you see on TV these days.

The score is also fantastic. Lots of original songs, lots of great cues. Does anyone have this?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hobbit was done by Rankin/Bass so it should have been standard hand drawn animation.

I see.

Hmm...

How well does it translate the book to the screen? diskobolus? (good to see you again, btw)

Everyone must see the Rankin/Bass Hobbit, as well as their Return of the King. It is very entertaining. The song "Where there's a whip, there's a way" from ROTK is hilarious, and the song "It's so easy not to try" is completely depressing, to the point you will want to kill yourself. If you watch Return of the King, please pay special attention to Casey Casem's immortal reading of the line "Will he never cut the cake?"

I think Smeagol in these cartoons is much better designed and creepier voiced than the movie Smeagol.

The Hobbit was done by Rankin/Bass so it should have been standard hand drawn animation.

I see.

Hmm...

How well does it translate the book to the screen? diskobolus? (good to see you again, btw)

It translates really well, and I remember loving fantasy novels as a result of watching it when I was a kid. Of course there are certain sections of the book missing in the film, most notably the character of Beorn and that segment of the journey. But on the whole the spirit of the novel comes through. My favorite parts include Elrond and his revealing of the moon letters on the map (by the way this prop from Fellowship and the accompanying two seconds of cue from Howard Shore are my favorite two seconds in the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy) and also when Bilbo finds the keyhole on Lonely Mountain. And Smaug is pretty awesome.

Good to see you again, too.

Everyone must see the Rankin/Bass Hobbit, as well as their Return of the King. It is very entertaining. The song "Where there's a whip, there's a way" from ROTK is hilarious, and the song "It's so easy not to try" is completely depressing, to the point you will want to kill yourself. If you watch Return of the King, please pay special attention to Casey Casem's immortal reading of the line "Will he never cut the cake?"

I think Smeagol in these cartoons is much better designed and creepier voiced than the movie Smeagol.

Good God, I'd forgotten all about that silly song until I read this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Good God, I'd forgotten all about that silly song until I read this thread.

WEll don't have too much fun./

But if you get bored of that... There's always this.