Alternative arrangement of Schindler's List Theme?

Sandor

It starts as we know it, and ends with something I've never heard before....

Can anyone tell me what that last part is?

I sort of like it...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wtf...

Is that "Via Dolorosa" tacked on the end...

That's...a Christian Song... about Jesus's walk to be crucified?? if I remember right

wtf!?

I love how the soloist becomes far more moved during that part of the arrangement than during the Schindler's List music... that's bullcrap..

ANTISEMITISM AT ITS WORST

This is a nice arrangement. Maybe it gets a little too "Hollywood," but hey, the theme was already pure Hollywood to begin with.

I'm totally NOT joking!

Sandi Patti (no not from Spongebob) apparently did it. You can listen to a snipit of it here with someone singing the lyrics... I swear!

Go to a vocal demonstration snippit:

http://www.worshipmusic.com/1418771172.html

So whoever arranged this... for some reason felt it would be appropriate and ok to add that to it... sick... just sick

??

If you're talking about how I don't believe it should be attached, I say that it shouldn't be attached for two reasons:

1) These people died because of their faith. Because they were jewish. To then take something meant to memorialize that and add a Christian song at the end talking about the suffering of Jesus, in a way, is like being a Nazi. It may not intentionally be saying it, but to me, it's like saying had they accepted Jesus, they wouldn't have been killed.

Or

2) They're trying to draw a connection between the suffering of a fictional character from another faith with the factual genocide of an entire people.

Either way, it's just simply inappropriate.

The other thing I hate is how when people perform songs from films, they don't ever seem to try to understand them. The soloist here really didn't try to understand or add or embellish or really make the schindlers list portion his/her own performance. Just did it cut and dry. Then you get to the second half, and they performed the heck out of it!

I've performed stuff from movies a lot and it seems no one ever really ever "gets" it.

And that kinda annoys me but that's something else entirely...

??

If you're talking about how I don't believe it should be attached, I say that it shouldn't be attached for two reasons:

1) These people died because of their faith. Because they were jewish. To then take something meant to memorialize that and add a Christian song at the end talking about the suffering of Jesus, in a way, is like being a Nazi. It may not intentionally be saying it, but to me, it's like saying had they accepted Jesus, they wouldn't have been killed.

Or

2) They're trying to draw a connection between the suffering of a fictional character from another faith with the factual genocide of an entire people.

Either way, it's just simply inappropriate.

Via dolorosa is more or less about the persecution and/or sacrifice of the innocent. I believe this was the foundation of this connection and the faith itself didn't have anything to do with it. Nor the idea of accepting Jesus, especially because it wasn't just Jewish faith what made Nazis attempt to exterminate them (as far as i know it has more to do with race issues, not the actual believes of the Jewish nation). Whether using this song was appropriate or not, I'm not sure. I personally don't like tampering with an original material, especially if the result is juxtaposing two pieces rooted in very different tradition (even if both reffer to persecution of Jews).

About your second assumption, Jesus - no matter if one believes he was a preachy loony or a son of God and a Savior - was a person that really lived in his times (and is mentioned in Roman chronicles). This is of course not an argument for using the piece, but a comment on a side.

- Chris

I'm glad I've been given an answer to the question raised in the topic opener.

If I had known however that the piece might result in a religious "dispute" I may not have posted it.

I sincerely hope therefore that this thread will not result in a debate that challenges the rules of this board.

lol... what dispute?

The only dispute has been the how apropos the arrangement was, and we've all kinda decided it was... in the least, unnecessary.

I still stand by what I said. It seems ridiculous that you'd include a Christian song in a theme meant to commemorate those massacred under the hand of a Nazi regime who's leader quoted the Bible as his reason for exterminating many peoples.

I get the idea of the "suffering" connection, but one could argue that you could mix in "No Body Knows the Trouble I've Seen" on those grounds LOL

As has been stated, they should have stuck to the material...

I for one am glad you posted this.

I'm glad I've been given an answer to the question raised in the topic opener.

If I had known however that the piece might result in a religious "dispute" I may not have posted it.

I sincerely hope therefore that this thread will not result in a debate that challenges the rules of this board.

You seem quite terrified at the prospect of discussing serious issues.

I've always thought the board's anti-debate rules severely limit the range of ideas and interaction between members. Oh well.

As a co-webmaster of a forum, I can understand the need to limit certain conversations. Religion is one, graphic sexuality is another, even as much as politics.

They can all be handled if well maintained and in a secure environment.

But again, I'm not trying to really debate anything here. I'm simply stating my interpretation of that arrangement which I do believe is allowed heh

This is tasteless, and in so many ways.

And not a very good arrangement. Sounds like it was orchestrated by a teenager enamoured with the worst clichés of Hollywood, and yet incapable of executing them properly. It is unrefined, and formally badly judged.

A hack job.

This is tasteless, and in so many ways.

And not a very good arrangement. Sounds like it was orchestrated by a teenager enamoured with the worst clichés of Hollywood, and yet incapable of executing them properly. It is unrefined, and formally badly judged.

A hack job.

I also think it's tasteless, although the orchestration is ok. I've heard worse.

Christ was a Jew himself, so his suffering is as Holocaust like as you can get.

LOL... lets not get too much into that.

He may have been a "jew" but he was as much a jew as the Yahad, the Pharisees and the Sagisees were.

Just as Christian as the Mormon, 7Th Day Adventists, Baptists, or the Catholics are to eachother.

One could then even argue, he was just as "human" as they were... and that the injustice against the jews was like that against any oppressed person...

But again, it all comes down to intent.

Intent of the film is to almost do an homage to Spielberg's Heritage in his artistic way... similar to how Williams did it in his (even though he's quoted as saying that he didn't want to do it at first, that he wasn't worthy of such a project).

So to then take something like that as lightly as this person did, arrange it for something completely different (the arranger may as well have put a Christmas carol in there) and do this is what bothers me...

Also, I can hear what you all mean by overly smultsy juvenile arrangement.

What's worse I think is the soloist who performs the second half with so much power, and the first half with almost none... and that's the other thing... it's almost as if the first half is not nearly as important as the second.

The way it's arranged and performed, it makes it feel like the arranger/soloist is saying "This is where we start, and this is where we end. We may have started here with this piece, but we're moving into something greater, more powerful, and more important." and that's what irks me most about it... as if they are saying the suffering of one supposed "man" against the genocide of entire peoples is more important and worthy of more connection and THAT to me is sick.

Given the recent topic about the music from "Schindler's List" trailer, everyone should take notice that Kilar's Exodus was amongs others inspired by the 1st visit of John Paul II to his homeland. In that case, using a piece reffering to Christian Pope for a movie about Holocaust may be found controversial too :)

Seriously, I just think some of you misinterpret the meaning and intent of that arrangement. :D However, I am looking forward to hearing from its author to learn his POV.

You seem quite terrified at the prospect of discussing serious issues.

No, I'm not at all actually.

But I've been involved in the lock-down of so many threads here, that seeing another suffer the same fate would seriously damage my ego...! :D