YODA - (Empire) Strikes Back

Luke Skywalker

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You get mad because I defend Yoda from the ESB, and tell the truth that people laughed when Yoda started fightiing. :mrgreen:

They laughed because it was totally rediculous, that this frail old creature was suddenly Jackie Channing it up on the screen. No one believed it for a minute. Reminded me of Ms Piggy and her karate moves. LOL

And as for baiting, your the one who joked about an exorcism, exorcising me an Neil from Merkel. AS a Catholic, I find that offensive. Those kinds of remarks are an insult to my religious upbring. :sigh:

Joe, who knew Luke would be insulted but didn't care because he purposely baited Neil and I from the beginning on this post. If Luke wants Ricard to protect him, then he needs to not bait us old timers stuck in the past because we like a movie the way it was, rather than bastardized so that a younger generation might enjoy it better, and to pad the wallet. And people forget that Neil is a young guy, who has wisdom far beyond his age. Of all the people at this board, I think he cherished the ideas of a finished movie and movies in general better than all of us. I am also sad that Luke has no respect whatsoever for films of the past.

That would be so, films already made should not be touched, but they are his films and he made them, I think he should be able to do what he wants with them as long as he keeps a copy of the old version on the shelves.

And people forget that Neil is a young guy, who has wisdom far beyond his age.  Of all the people at this board, I think he cherished the ideas of a finished movie and movies in general better than all of us.

Joe you are far to kind. I better stop before this turns into the mutual admiration society. :mrgreen:

Neil - who sometimes doesn't feel too young

And as for baiting, your the one who joked about an exorcism, exorcising me an Neil from Merkel.  AS a Catholic, I find that offensive.  Those kinds of remarks are an insult to my religious upbring. ;)

:cry: I'm so sorry.... COME ON!

I am also sad that Luke has no respect whatsoever for films of the past.

I have. Just i say that i dont want to own the old SW movies. I want the new.

Luke, who is also Catholic AMEN :mrgreen:

PS: and OF COURSE you insulted me because i did it before.... how kind.

(well what about Merkel, did he too? ;) )

(and Joe as stuck in the past as you are, reathr than Catholic you act like a quaker (is this religion the one that does not like development?) <- take this as a joke. :sigh:

Luke, I was joking about the religious thing too. I figured you being from Spain that you would be Catholic too, thats why I put the :mrgreen: .

by the way my priest says that what George Lucas is doing is a mortal unforgivable sin. :wow: LOL

As far as respecting past films, let me put it this way Luke,

once a film is finished, it should remain finished. Movie technologies change. But a finished product shouldn't. Otherwise people will change King Kong, add new cgi effects to it. Lets colorize all the black and white films. Including Schindler's List which has no reason being in B&W. Lets make more Pink Panter films using a digital Peter Sellers. Take all the films made in WWII that use racial slurs when refering to the Germans and the Japanese and digitally alter the language, for a more kinder, gentler, more PC balance. Lets take all the old Star Trek episodes and replace the special effects and modernize Kirk's Enterprise so it looks like it did in the DS9 episode. the orignal Planet of the Apes would be improved if they replace the human actors and insert realistic cgi apes.

One last thing. On all the old shows go back and digitally remove the cigarettes, so they don't smoke anymore. Its offensive.

ESB Yoda does not suck. It did its job perfectly. And the CGI Yoda in AOTC did its job perfectly as well. Leave it that.

Yes it does. NOW

Sorry Luke, but your argument is self-defeating. The ESB puppet Yoda was and continues to be amazing. While watching the film, the character is so well written and beautifully executed that you buy him completely. He completely steals the picture.

By analizing its look after 22 years of technological progress and saying it sucks, then the same could be said about Citizen Kane's Dinner scene or Psycho's shower scenes. But both are exceptional examples of craftsmanship and no matter how much enhancement the new technologies could give them, they would add nothing at all to already-perfect scenes. Simply put, no one today can surpass those achievements, and the same holds true with ESB's Yoda.

Luke who doesn't care about movies he could not see at the cinema when released. But cares about ones that are going to be in 2006.

I'm really sorry to hear this, because you're missing out in some wonderful storytelling. I was never there for the original release of Fritz Lang's Metropolis, but have enjoyed it thoroughly nevertheless; it is visionary, intelligent and all the current sci-fi movies and series owe a lot to it. Seeing C-3PO's inspirational great, great grandmother first-hand only heightens my enjoyment of both visions.

Incidentally, I also love the AotC CGI Yoda. Yes, his fighting style does cause some intended laughs (many of them of excitement, not ridicule) and perhaps this happened too close to a dramatic climax, but I don't think it took away from the picture at all. Besides, let's admit it, everyone of us wanted to see Yoda fighting. :mrgreen:

I agree! But I think it's different when it is the creator that is changing the film. It's his property and if he wants to change it... I also trust the creator's judgement when changing his own film. Can't trust Lucas :cry: But, I don't mind the idea of him trying to change it, unless the changes damage the movies.

There are some exceptions though, I don't mind the idea of them trying to improve the special effects of the original trek series with CGI. But I am unsure. :mrgreen: Still, I'd rather like to see fx of the quality of tribble DS9 episode. :sigh:

I agree with you, Morn, the creator should be able to go back and revisit his/her work, but the original should still be made available; I think that the upcoming release of E.T. should be the norm.

I don't agree with saying that we can't trust Lucas; he hasn't disappointend me yet. I love both versions of Star Wars and have heard a lot of nitpicking over details that really don't matter. However, even though I have the original untouched trilogy in LD, I'd sure like them available in DVD. The only change I'd let him make in the original is that Mos Eisley pan which always looked awful. :wow:

The problems with the special editions aren't merely nitpickings. Some of the changes change the qualities of characters and cause great damage to the pacing which really hurts the film.

1- by the way my priest says that what George Lucas is doing is a mortal unforgivable sin. :wow:  LOL  

2- As far as respecting past films, let me put it this way Luke,  

once a film is finished, it should remain finished.  Movie technologies change.  But a finished product shouldn't.  Otherwise people will change King Kong, add new cgi effects to it.  Lets colorize all the black and  white films.  Including Schindler's List which has no reason being in B&W.  Lets make more Pink Panter films using a digital Peter Sellers.  Take all the films made in WWII that use racial slurs when refering to the Germans and the Japanese and digitally alter the language, for a more kinder, gentler, more PC balance.  Lets take all the old Star Trek episodes and replace the special effects and modernize Kirk's Enterprise so it looks like it did in the DS9 episode.  the orignal Planet of the Apes would be improved if they replace the human actors and insert realistic cgi apes.

One last thing.  On all the old shows go back and digitally remove the cigarettes, so they don't smoke anymore.  Its offensive.

1- In the other hand, i think he should be canonized :sigh: LOL

2- King-Kong has been remade.

Pink Panter think is stupid, i wouldnt like a CGI Alec Guiness.

Planet of the Apes has been remade too.

Half the movies you mentioned are not part of a series-saga so they dont make sense to remade them to mach a nowadays done sequel.

About star Trek... some fans might want to have all movies improved.. But it is different since those movies have been done without interruption. so the jump between one and the following is not noticeable (it is 1st and the last, but if you see it chronologically...)

Look if george had made the 6 movies in the 70-80s they should be left alone, but since the prequels are being done now, many fans want techinical continuity.

I just hope Lucas releases the original movies unaltered for all of you (and if they are included as in the ET DVD i would be glad in fact, i would like to compare them , to see how they have changed and it's always good to laugh :) )

Yes to Luke screaming, but not as much. And a big yes to the shuttle at the end of TESB. That almost destroyed the film for me.

I don't mind the idea of them trying to improve the special effects of the original trek series with CGI.

Morn, don't you get it? It's not about the effects, it's about the stories. That's what makes the original Trek so great. The stories are fabulous. As much as I enjoy TNG, Star Trek will always be my favorite (I don't even waste my time with the other series). But classic Trek doesn't need fancy effects to make it good. If you need top quality effects to make or break the deal than that is just sad.

I just hope Lucas releases the original movies unaltered for all of you (and if they are included as in the ET DVD i would be glad in fact, i would like to compare them , to see how they have changed and it's always good to laugh  :sigh: )

So you've never seen the original versions, just the SE's? So every argument we've ever had and you've never seen what came first? And then you make a lame joke about the original Star Wars being good for a laugh??? Luke, what I'm thinking about you right now is against the rules to post.

Neil

Morn, don't you get it? It's not about the effects, it's about the stories. That's what makes the original Trek so great. The stories are fabulous. As much as I enjoy TNG, Star Trek will always be my favorite (I don't even waste my time with the other series). But classic Trek doesn't need fancy effects to make it good. If you need top quality effects to make or break the deal thatn that is just sad.

I know that, but better effects would be nice.

I just hope Lucas releases the original movies unaltered for all of you (and if they are included as in the ET DVD i would be glad in fact, i would like to compare them , to see how they have changed and it's always good to laugh  :sigh: )

So you've never seen the original versions, just the SE's? So every argument we've ever had and you've never seen what came first? And then you make a lame joke about the original Star Wars being good for a laugh??? Luke, what I'm thinking about you right now is against the rules to post.

Neil

Please dont be so Naive. OF COURSE I HAVE SEEN THEM. I DO NOT own them. And i have not been able to see them and then the SE, yet. And i dont want to buy them (like if i could find them :) )

About the laugh, i m speaking of the special effects AND compared to the SE. The movies are good.

Your post made it sound like you had not seen the original versions. I apologize if I went a little too far. However, not owning the original versions is unforgivable, particularly for someone who is as big a fan of Star Wars as you.

And the original effects are nothing to laugh at. Your attitude towards them is.

Neil

Luke, I was joking about the religious thing too.  I figured you being from Spain that you would be Catholic too, thats why I put the :) .

Joe don't get mad at me, it's a passionate impulse. But I can't help but say that that is the most ridiculous and ignorant thing I've ever heard. It's nothing personal, don't get offended. I just REALLY HATE IT when people confuse Spain with South America. TWO VERY DIFFERENT THINGS!!! :sigh:

(disregard this passionate impulse, there's no point arguing. I just needed to get it out of my system)

And to get back on topic. . . . .

That would be so, films already made should not be touched, but they are his films and he made them, I think he should be able to do what he wants with them.

Morn? Is that you? That sounds too conformist for the Morn we're used to.

-ROSS, wondering about the necessity of this post.

Luke, don't keep this going. I know you love the originals and we both are prequel "gushers", I just don't think we have to underestimate the OT to find arguments for quality in the prequels...there is really no reason to do that. The OT, both the original versions and the SE deserve my upmost respect.

I know you don't feel that way, i really do, but sometiems you make it sound like the OT is nothing special and it is, as are the prequels IMHO 8and I know you agree with me).

Cheers, mate beerchug

I love ANH (SW) ESB and ROJ. I'm sorry for my comments. The dark side beckoned me. I would like to own the original trilogy. But i cannot find them and most important i'm not allowed to buy them. (and really idont want to spend 40 E that i would use to buy scores :) ) I hope that i am with the DVDs.

I praise the OT as the marvel they were when released. And it sads me not having the opportunity of seeing them on cinema. (although if that made me hate the prequels, well i'm fine as i am :| )

I started to like SW with the SE. I have seen them before and they didn't grip me. I don't know why, really.

But i want continuity and i would like to see them technologically updated (i'm not using enhaced or improved ;) ). I would like also that Lucas releases the OT in DVD too to make you happy. And they will we welcomed if they come together. And i will not laugh at them, i'll only compare them and get amazed about how the technology has evolved :angry:

PS: Joe, you don't think there is desert all over here, DO YOU? :angry:

Luke, who 'loves' Mission: Impossible 2 and cartoons regarding Spain. ( the best one is when Pamplona appears and there are cactus and desert and mexicans everywhere )

Strange customs, right? Praising their Saints and then burning them. - Sir Anthony Hopkins playing somekind of Bastard-Moron.

No, Luke I don't think your country is a desert, I figure it is a varied land with beautiful Med. beachs, mountainous regions, some arid, and some lush. I didn't mean to offend Ross, but I didn't confuse your country with South America, I just know alot about Catholosism, and that Spain is still or was about 90% Catholic. I know that since '78 it hasn't been the official religion. I watched the Barcelona games, and Spain was shown as a beautiful country. When the day comes that I can visit Europe, I plan to visit Spain.

I appreciated your comments about the original trilogy. As I have said before for those of you who have seen them out of order, or were not around the first time, you cannot imagine how wonderful the first Star Wars was. There had never been anything like it before. No film had ever had such exciting special effects. But it was the characters in the story that everyone loved. We did want more. I can never discount the special effects because they were cool. Every kid wanted to be an X-wing pilot. It was all so fresh, and original. It was truely a wonderful time to be a kid.

Luke, who 'loves' Mission: Impossible 2 and cartoons regarding Spain. ( the best one is when Pamplona appears and there are cactus and desert and mexicans everywhere )  

LOL!! You mean you get that same cliched treatment from Hollywood too!?! :P

-Alejandro, a Mexican who's never worn a sombrero or ridden a donkey and who had never seen a real cactus (nopal variety excluded, of course) until he visited Arizona a couple of months ago.

Hey, why don't we go back and redo in CGI all the puppets from The Muppet Show? Or the Gremlims? Let's do Alien in CGI.

I think that the remaking stuff is sheer sickness, perfection mania of an obsessive mind, that is more interested in form than content. Lucas' ego has spoiled one of the best stories ever told.

The CGI in EPII was excessive. Even Spielberg, who's also a perfectionist and did his own share of retouches and CGI, thinks that having actors perfom in blue screens and not real sets makes them unconnected with the character and story. As an amateur actor, I can tell he's right.

The things that helped me accept the CGI yoda are precisely those introduced by Frank Oz, the original puppetter, the trembling of the ears and some expressions that the CG guys succeded in replicating.

But he stills looks 'isolated' or from a 'diferent world' in shots with live actors, just like any other CGI, just like any Jar-Jar. CGI has to first achieve the imperfection of life.

Lucas: leave the old Yoda as it was and use the money to produce us Indy 4, directed by Spielberg.

Hey, why don't we go back and redo in CGI all the puppets from The Muppet Show? Or the Gremlims? Let's do Alien in CGI.

Yet you say below that it's content and not form that matters.

I think that the remaking stuff is sheer sickness, perfection mania of an obsessive mind, that is more interested in form than content. Lucas' ego has spoiled one of the best stories ever told.

:roll: No one is remaking anything. There is nothing wrong with changing form if it doesn't damage content. And form is not unimportant.

The CGI in EPII was excessive. Even Spielberg, who's also a perfectionist and did his own share of retouches and CGI, thinks that having actors perfom in blue screens and not real sets makes them unconnected with the character and story. As an amateur actor, I can tell he's right.

He is right, however that's not quite the same as something being excessive, that's something being impractical.

But he stills looks 'isolated' or from a 'diferent world' in shots with live actors, just like any other CGI, just like any Jar-Jar. CGI has to first achieve the imperfection of life.

And the puppet Yoda looks like a puppet, different but still just as fake. And Jar Jar in ep2 almost looks real.