YODA - (Empire) Strikes Back

Luke Skywalker

This is from the review of the DVD EP II from ain't coll news!

There?s a really cool section, though, where Rob Coleman presents an animation test reel to George to illustrate the possibilities of an all-digital Yoda. This was before George had made up his mind to go this path with the character. The test Coleman and his team put together was a collection of scenes from THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK in which they replaced the Oz puppet with a CG version of the Jedi Master. It?s frightening how close to perfect they got it on such an early test. George watched closely and nodded as he admitted, ?Very good. Fantastic.?

Good news, for me of Course. :biglaugh:

PS: I'm sorry Joe-Neil-Rogue :cry:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was just a test to show how good Yoda would look in CGI. It's not like they're replacing the puppet in ESB with the CGI Yoda.

Romao, who hopes they do that in TPM.

But George's reaction makes me think he's considering it.

It's like watching the CGI ET in the 2002 re-release. Sure, it's only jarring for a second, but it really takes a while to get back into the film-watching mode.

If he changes Yoda in ESB to CGI, the movie will be DOA ASAP. At least on my TV.

How about changing the TPM Yoda muppett to an AOTC/ESB CGI version?

Dole- who can't stand the way Yoda looks in Phantom Menace.

How about changing the TPM Yoda muppett to an AOTC/ESB CGI version?

Dole- who can't stand the way Yoda looks in Phantom Menace.

I'm beginning to realize that we agree with everything as far as the prequels go...

I'm beginning to realize that we agree with everything as far as the prequels go...

It's nice to know at least someone else out there shares my views. You must have good taste. ROTFLMAO

Good news, for me of Course.  :biglaugh:

Good news that your film making hero can't make good movies anymore and can only live in the past by tinkering with 20+ year old films?

PS: I'm sorry Joe-Neil-Rogue  :cry:

No need to apologize. I'm pretty much done with Star Wars stuff.

Neil

No need to apologize.  I'm pretty much done with Star Wars stuff.

Neil

Your signature suggests otherwise.

Stefancos- who wonder if pre- 1997 copies of the original trilogie are being preserved in the Smithsonian Institute.

Your signature suggests otherwise.

My signature is about the original 1977 film, probably my second favorite film of all time. I've gotten to a point where I really don't care for the rest, except maaaaaaaybe The Empire Strikes Back.

Neil

Stefancos- who wonder if pre- 1997 copies of the original trilogie are being kept by the Smithsonian.

I have the crappy barely-stereo version on VHS, which I will keep because the covers are incredible. Then I have the newer ones in THX. Won't bother with the "Special" editions.

I'll only get rid of them when someone pries them from my cold, dead hands.

Jeff -- who's expecting death threats any day now :shakehead:

The TPM Yoda should be replaced. While it looks better than the puppet in many to most shots, the Episode II Yoda is convincing virtually all the time. I remain unconvinced by the Puppet. I've expressed this a few times before, and there are some who agree with me (presumeably because they agree with me that the motion is more realistic) and some who disagree (because they feel that either the puppet motion is fine on its own, or at least that the better texture in the puppet outweighs the better motion in the CGI). Replacing the TPM Yoda would be easy (uh, as SW effects go...) because Yoda was originally CG, so they can just replace it with the better model and voila, new Yoda.

I have mixed feelings about replacing Yoda in ESB. I suspect if they can pull it off in all of Yoda's shots I would like it. I think it would be very distracting to flop between a CG and puppet Yoda. (Before you jump on me and say that CG in the early episodes and puppet in the latter is just as bad, I say no, it isn't, because there is an entire 2 1/2 hour movie separating them.) I'm wary about two things. First, the prequels have a much cleaner look (due to the setting) that makes a CG Yoda fit right in. I'm not sure how a CG Yoda in the OT would blend. Second, I'd be worried about shots that were not taken to be composited with Yoda later. I think many of them would be difficult to put together in such a way as it looks good.

i have the Lazerdisk version of the original Star Wars,which I probably will never be able to play in a few years,and the VHS copies as well,which will crumble to dust soon.

K.M.

The problem with the original trilogy is that he just looks ugly and dull, the TPM one looks far better.

The problem with the original trilogy is that he just looks ugly and dull, the TPM one looks far better.

In TPM,he's a better working puppet than ESB,but ugly as hell.

K.M.

In TPM,he's a better working puppet than ESB,but ugly as hell.

K.M.

I hope you have realised that the TPM puppet saw from one side is the same as the original Yoda (see when he is speaking with obi-wan in the end). He is ugly viewed from ooopsite him.

I prefer anyway the look of th OT Yoda OR the CGI Yoda, and i expect CGI yoda in all 5 movies :)

THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!

Sorry about the caps, Ricard.

You vey lucky he didn't kill you first.

Yep, Parents always fell in the old trick. You cry a little and they do all you want. LOL

BTW, I know how your father looked when he was 18.

No you dont.

He WAS ( :cry: * ) 19 in AOC :angry:

* :)

Leave the original trilogy alone.

Leave Yoda alone.

He looks wonderful in the Empire Strikes Back. NO ONE laughed at him in ESB. Everyone laughed at him in AOTC. He looked fake and phoney in this latest Star Wars film. In Empire his eyes looked alive. Now his eyes look flat and dead. I have no problem with Ep III using the CGI. I know it will be better and he will look more real, but anyone who thinks that they should change him in ESB is STUPID(Joe being brutally honest in his feeling here). There is little wrong with Empire Strikes Back. Nothing needs to be changed except for the scream.

Leave Yoda alone, he is a noble looking character filled with life. Frank Oz's work is the bench mark in puppetering. Don't change that. Don't fix something that ain't broke.

Lucas, write a real story, give your characters some real life, some real nuances. Use the effects to complement the picture not to overwhelm the picture. Finalize a print and let John score it. No more lets wow the audience with another stupid cgi character just to sell a product. Finish Ep III, release it on DVD, release the OT as they were originally released, and release your bastardized versions as well so people like Luke can be happy. Close the book, put it down and move on to something else.

His birthday was 2 days after the wedding. You weren't even born back then. I was there, in the arena, fighting all those monsters.

My avatar is a photo Master Windu took when I had just sliced a super battle droid. It was moving, really.

Leave Yoda alone.

He looks wonderful in the Empire Strikes Back.  NO ONE laughed at him in ESB.  Everyone laughed at him in AOTC.  He looked fake and phoney in this latest Star Wars film.  In Empire his eyes looked alive.  Now his eyes look flat and dead.   I have no problem with Ep III using the CGI.  I know it will be better and he will look more real, but anyone who thinks that they should change him in ESB is STUPID(Joe being brutally honest in his feeling here).  There is little wrong with Empire Strikes Back.  Nothing needs to be changed except for the scream.

Leave Yoda alone, he is a noble looking character filled with life.  Frank Oz's work is the bench mark in puppetering.  Don't change that.  Don't fix something that ain't broke.

Lucas, write a real story, give your characters some real life, some real nuances.  Use the effects to complement the picture not to overwhelm the picture.  Finalize a print and let John score it.  No more lets wow the audience with another stupid cgi character just to sell a product.  Finish Ep III, release it on DVD, release the OT as they were originally released, and release your bastardized versions as well so people like Luke can be happy.  Close the book, put it down and move on to something else.

BRAVO JOE! :angry: beerchug

i agree completely with just about everything you said, especially all those comments about Yoda. his performance in Empire was simply amazing and was probably the best performance in the movie. it was full of... well everything you said.

Ted

Leave Yoda alone.

He looks wonderful in the Empire Strikes Back.  NO ONE laughed at him in ESB.  Everyone laughed at him in AOTC.  He looked fake and phoney in this latest Star Wars film.  In Empire his eyes looked alive.  Now his eyes look flat and dead.   I have no problem with Ep III using the CGI.  I know it will be better and he will look more real, but anyone who thinks that they should change him in ESB is STUPID(Joe being brutally honest in his feeling here).  There is little wrong with Empire Strikes Back.  Nothing needs to be changed except for the scream.

Leave Yoda alone, he is a noble looking character filled with life.  Frank Oz's work is the bench mark in puppetering.  Don't change that.  Don't fix something that ain't broke.

Lucas, write a real story, give your characters some real life, some real nuances.  Use the effects to complement the picture not to overwhelm the picture.  Finalize a print and let John score it.  No more lets wow the audience with another stupid cgi character just to sell a product.  Finish Ep III, release it on DVD, release the OT as they were originally released, and release your bastardized versions as well so people like Luke can be happy.  Close the book, put it down and move on to something else.

Joe, though your post is borderline flaming, I agree 100% with it. It's not about effects or dazzling the audience, its about story telling. Well done! beerchug

Neil - who has said some un-kind things in private about those who like Attack of the Clones

In an outburst the other night while talking to my girlfriend, I said that anyone that says Attack of the Clones is the best Star Wars film and or score is a "f**king idiot". True story.

Neil

Compare this liveless dull picture

yoda-2.jpg

With the new yoda. :)

yoda.jpg

And Joe, there is always room for improvement with anything. :) As long as all the DVD's have a copy of the original version, I don't care what they do with the film.

Thank you Morn, your picture proves my point.

The picture you call liveless is anything but lifeless.

Somehow that puppet is as alive as any human character in the film.

It is a mastework of craft, and filmmaking, and allowing the innocense of the filmgoer to be caught up in make believe.

Huh? That pale green looks dead, the vibrant green with the glossy texture of the new yoda makes him look much more real.

Morn, might I suggest that if you are trying to prove a point with 2 pictures, you preview your work so that 2 pictures show up.

Like I said your picture of Yoda from the Empire Strikes Back proves my point. That is a picture of a noble, aged jedi master, who looks pretty damned good for 800 years.

Well. OK It seems there is not any respect for others left here. And Ricard does not do a thing (to say it politely :mrgreen: ) because he agrees.

OK, look. NOBODY Laughed Yoda in AOC. They laughed THE SCENE, not the perfect CGI. And i can assure you 80% was amazed laugh.

ESB YODA SUCKS. I would accept you would have said that ROJ Yoda is better. I THINK ROJ Yoda surpases a lot ESB one and its more real (and moves really too)

And using you mood, 'anyone who gets stuck in the past, is stupid'.

Luke, who was insulted by a piece (well in fact there were two) of shit today <- Joe teached me this sentence.

ESB Yoda does not suck. It did its job perfectly. And the CGI Yoda in AOTC did its job perfectly as well. Leave it that.

Yes it does. NOW

Luke who doesn't care about movies he could not see at the cinema when released. But cares about ones that are going to be in 2006.