Your Favorite Trilogy Of Scores

Koray Savas

Nothing wrong with fun, though.

In fact, it's why I like The Empire Strikes Back so much (and Star Wars also - for some reason Return of the Jedi is always overlooked by me; I should listen to it more often).

Empire might have had some inappropriate scoring - most of the dropped music was dropped for good reason - but the music itself is just so damn good and so much fun to listen to.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That it is.

I pefer listening to entire scores though, meaning I have to go through a lot of underscore that isn't bad on its own, but pales after ESB's great underscoring.

Sound quality of the third act isn't that great either.

I pefer listening to entire scores though, meaning I have to go through a lot of underscore that isn't bad on its own, but pales after ESB's great underscoring.

Sound quality of the third act isn't that great either.

Oh so do I, but it's all listenable. My attention might drift a bit during some of the duller Jabba moments or the Ewok bits at the end of disc 1, but that's about it.

And yes, the sound quality, *shudder*.

Yes, it's all listenable.

it's just that my attention hardly ever wanders during ESB. It's superb music from start to finish and it simultaniously possesses both a density in writing and a clearity in melody that I enjoy immensely.

I wish I still had the time to listen to entire scores.

I agree that 80-90% of JEDI is great, but ESB is just on such a level-up from both ROTJ and ANH. It's just breathtaking, and that's become a cliche, but the pure quality of the score really gives it a meaning again. "Hyperspace" always sums it up for me, the way that track is written that away from the film I can still find myself biting my nails while listening to it due to the tension. I find that so rare.

I overlooked this, and well i think i'll give my opinon. But i hope the discussion doesnt repeat itself since most of you have already stated your arguments.

The Star wars saga, is comprised of six movies. George Lucas says its a saga, continuous story line where Anakin Skywalker-Darth Vader has a downfall and redeption story arc. That is the oficial word and that is what it is. G-canon.

This does not mean that George Lucas or other official sources cannot differenciate them as two trilogies when it suits the matter, for example in chronology: Prequel trilogy era (there is not Original trilogy era but Galactic civir war era). Or when they did the Lego games (Prequel trilogy -tough this was not the official title- and Original trilogy) but in the end when they put all 6 movies together, its was called 'The complete Saga'.

So, its legit to say that there is two Star Wars trilogies in the series, as well as a 6 movie saga.

IMO the best term should be 'The Star Wars saga is comprised of 6 movies arranged in two trilogies' due to the 18/16 year gap between them both in chronology and filming schedule.

I think saga is a term for a series of works that tell the story of a family. It suits the Star Wars series pretty well.

Nevertheless everyone is entitled to their opinion, and neglect the existence or the connection between the two trilogies, or saying that the SW films are not a series. But that this is not official reality, its just making their own reality. Arguments like 'most people think this way so live with it' sound much like 'million of flies cannot be wrong, eat garbage' joke. This also applies to the quality of the prequels for example (many people like them but it does not mean they are masterpieces) I mean, saying that is not a very solid argument.

That said, i think all sides took it too seriously. Koray took it by heart, and its wrong, since well I know how pointless it can to change opinions in Star Wars. But insulting is never asked for. People who said they liked the OT scores as the best or second or whatever trilogy did nothing wrong. In the other hand the people who implied that George Lucas was wrong in arraging his own movies, is like i said creating their own reality and it cannot ve used as an argument.

:(Pirates of the Caribbean

No, no - Just joking

I like The Godfather Trilogy (by Nino Rota and Carmine Coppola)

Star Wars - The Original Trilogy

Back to the Future Trilogy (but second score is really just functional and not very good as an album)

:(