Meeting John Williams

vmw331

After meeting JW in Detroit for the first time at a rehearsal/luncheon the day before the actual concert, I initially wanted to get another CD autographed after or before the concert if JW announced that there would be a "meet and greet" kind of thing.

Actually, I did not bring anything to the concert because I had a feeling that I would just be wasting his time if he did set aside some time to sign stuff.

I feel that meeting the maestro one time is enough because I don't want to feel like I'm becoming bothersome for him.

Of course, if I ever accidentally passed by him, I would acknowledge him, but I don't think I will ever go out of my way to have him sign more things just because of his nice personality and character. I would love it if all of my CDs were signed by him, but I chose my favorite soundtrack and got that signed so I really have no need for more signatures. And yes, it would be nice to talk to him again, but really, we are strangers to him and it would just seem like I'm wasting the man's time and I would not be giving him the respect that he deserves.

What have you guys done in this situation? How many times have you met JW and did you feel odd going up to him again?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he looks like he was open to it, or even comes towards you, then go right ahead.

If he's busy and whanot, don't bother

Edit: In my situation, it was my second day of trying and I was with a group of people and he came over to me, so there was no problem there. I didn't want to take too much of his time though, so I just got a picture.

After meeting JW in Detroit for the first time at a rehearsal/luncheon the day before the actual concert, I initially wanted to get another CD autographed after or before the concert if JW announced that there would be a "meet and greet" kind of thing.

Actually, I did not bring anything to the concert because I had a feeling that I would just be wasting his time if he did set aside some time to sign stuff.

I feel that meeting the maestro one time is enough because I don't want to feel like I'm becoming bothersome for him.

Of course, if I ever accidentally passed by him, I would acknowledge him, but I don't think I will ever go out of my way to have him sign more things just because of his nice personality and character. I would love it if all of my CDs were signed by him, but I chose my favorite soundtrack and got that signed so I really have no need for more signatures. And yes, it would be nice to talk to him again, but really, we are strangers to him and it would just seem like I'm wasting the man's time and I would not be giving him the respect that he deserves.

What have you guys done in this situation? How many times have you met JW and did you feel odd going up to him again?

While I never meet Williams, I did meet a few importat persons, mostly writers.

Most of the times, I just complimented them and asked to have my book signed.

The last ocasion were I had such a meeting was just last week, as a famous young writer came to our school. I did had the chance to chat with him for quite a bit, about writting and about teaching and students, and was quite fun. I was even invited to join him for lunch, but had a previous engagemet, and wasn't able to do it.

I also asked him to sign me his last book, and he was surprised when I asked him to dedicate it to a friend of mine to whom I was going to offer the book. "That doens't happens all that much... so nice of you", he told me.

If I could meet JW just once and have just one CD autographed by him, it'd last me a lifetime ... But I doubt it's ever going to happen. :P

Well I thought the same as you Maglorfin, that i would never meet him, living in Britain. But last year on my travels across america, my arrival in LA coincided with his concert at USC and i managed to get tickets (they were surprisingly cheap, but i guess i got in there early).

Out of sheer hope i took three cd's with me - Jaws, Close Encounters and Star Wars, and prayed that we might be able to meet him afterwards. We saw a small crowd gathered around a trailer behind the auditorium and stuck around. He appeared and posed for photos with the orchestra, and then began signing autographs. No one spoke to him, so when i got to i said something pathetic about travelling all the way from england. Still, it was possibly the greatest moments of my life.

I'd love to meet him again, but i still wouldn't know what to say. And i think it wouldn't compare to that first meeting.

I only had one opportunity to meet him and he ended up sneaking out before I could do so. I was planning on just saying something to him but, in retrospect, its just as well it didn't work out as I really didn't know what to say beyond the obvious that he hears all the time. Autographs and such aren't my thing. If I somehow had the opportunity to really talk to him and pick his brain, that would probably be the only context for wanting to meet him. But that's just me and that's not an opportunity that is likely to happen.

- Adam

I highly doubt John Williams would remember you the second time around. Just get another CD signed. He's not gonna be like "Not this kid again, get outta here, I already signed your damn CD!"

:lol: I know, but still........

Anyway, when I met JW, I found it funny that after I gave him one CD cover to sign, he asked if I had anything else, so I gave him a JW piano book, and he still asked if I had anything more (and I did) but I just asked him if I could take a picture with him and he accepted! At that time, I was just stunned that he signed 1 CD!! :)

I highly doubt John Williams would remember you the second time around. Just get another CD signed. He's not gonna be like "Not this kid again, get outta here, I already signed your damn CD!"

Probably true, as all three times I've seen in him concert, I've had the extremely good fortune to have gotten an autograph and picture. There was definitely no recollection on his part, obviously - he must meet hundreds of fans every year.

Well I thought the same as you Maglorfin, that i would never meet him, living in Britain. But last year on my travels across america, my arrival in LA coincided with his concert at USC and i managed to get tickets (they were surprisingly cheap, but i guess i got in there early).

I understand that, but, standing no chance to travel to the US in the next few years, I remain pessimistic. ;)

artyjeffrey, why the inside and not the outside? :lol::mellow:

I understand that, but, standing no chance to travel to the US in the next few years, I remain pessimistic. :P

artyjeffrey, why the inside and not the outside? :lol:;)

Well, I'm a bit anal-retentive, and even though it would've been his signature in silver sharpie on the outside, I would be paranoid everytime that I dusted it that the sig would wear off. Now, he could sign the outside of my other Vader helmet. Yes, I know.

Trust me, it's the tip of the iceberg. It's shameful, the hidden inner fanboy that nobody knows about in my real life! :D

I sympathize with you about being in an area that JW doesn't tour. Makes me feel guilty for not going to the Hollywood Bowl concert this year.

Probably true, as all three times I've seen in him concert, I've had the extremely good fortune to have gotten an autograph and picture. There was definitely no recollection on his part, obviously - he must meet hundreds of fans every year.

I've had the same (fantastic) experience. Just can't pass up an opportunity to talk to him - you never know if you'll have such a chance again.

Well, I'm a bit anal-retentive, and even though it would've been his signature in silver sharpie on the outside, I would be paranoid everytime that I dusted it that the sig would wear off.

That's good thinking. :devil: