• The Philosopher's Stone
    • The Chamber of Secrets
    • The Prisoner of Azkaban
    • The Goblet of Fire

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to go with Prisioner of Azkaban. It's so dark, with an incredible plot and an fantastic ending.

Romao, who thinks the last 2 Harry potter books are clealy the best of the bunch.

I've participated in many polls on this topic and my opinon is still the same:

POA.

As I was reading it, you knew something was up. You knew about the dog, you just knew, but didn't know enough.

The suspense was great. Great twists in the plot and again a fantastic ending.

GOF is right up there but the ending was stifled for me. I don't think JK put into it what she could of. I know there are theories on this about WHY it's such a quick and blatant ending. But, I definitely do think it's too rushed.

That's why I chose POA.

Ummmmm I would say Goblet of Fire since it has a real cool looking cover. :biglaugh:

-Rogue Leader who REALLY wanted to get in on the vote even though he is "Potter Ignorant". :P

I chose GOF, for the same reasons Ren chose POA.

Unlike Ren, I don't think the end of GOF is rushed at all. It takes almost 1/5 of the book just to end. I have read the entire book twice but the ending 4 times. I can see why she says that because on first look it may feel rushed but there are so many layers to those last 150 pages. So much happens and there is so much detail that at a glance you may miss. Dumbledores look of triumph, Mad Moody and the other, Snape and Sirus.

Mrs Weasley's natural mothering, there is just almost too much for one to digest at first. And it is by far the darkest book yet, at least until OOP comes out next year.

As a whole I rate them from great to greatest.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Quite easily, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, which finally infused the series with a breathtaking emotional depth, supplementing the spiritual/mystical dimension introduced by Book 3.

- Alan, who knows most other HP fans'll vote Prisoner of Azkaban but doesn't care. :)

I hear ya Joe,

I realize that there are all these sub currents underlying what JK's has written but no matter how many times I read it..

I find my self rushing and rushing while i'm reading because of the frenetic pace of the book.

I find my self rushing and rushing while i'm reading because of the frenetic pace of the book.

Truer words have never been spoken Ren.

And yes William they each got better for me.

When I casually sat down last fall to read SS, I had no idea what I was getting into. I consumed the book in 3 days. I immediately went to B&N and got COS and 3 days later got POA, and after another 3 days GOF. Now it took me 7 days to read. I have since reread the books again.

I was not prepared to be captured the way I was by these wonderful books, which made the experience all the more enjoyable.

Thats a real credit to the series. To say eacxh one gets better.

I guess each one builds on the previous novel.

One of these days I gotta take a poll and see which is more numerous on this board. HP fans or SW fans.

i think that would be a hard one.

how do you decide if you are a "fan" or not? How do you decide unbiasedly (is that even a word) which one you are more of a fan of?

Definitely Azkaban for me! :P

Spoilers

I don't think the ending of GOF is rushed. In fact, I think it's the most brilliant Potter-passage written so far. I've read the books twice so far, and both times I've been really devastated by the ending. The first time was particularly shocking, since I really didn't expect Cedric to die - I might have if there had been some sort of buildup, but it all happened within just a few lines.

But as a whole book, I think Azkaban is even better. When I first read it, and reached the (second?) Quidditch match in the middle of the book, it had suddenly grabbed me so much that I couldn't stop reading (except for eating) before I had finished the book. I'm a rather slow reader, plus I think I had lunch at my parents', so it took a while, but I really didn't do anything but reading and eating from about three in the afternoon to 6 in the morning. When I read it the second time several weeks ago, I couldn't stop either, I just kept sitting and reading for several hours until I had finished it.

I'm sorry to say it, but it's a fact: When the third movie comes out, everyone who watches it without reading the book first is a huge idiot.

Marian - who thinks it's bad enough to watch the second movie without reading the book first.

GoF for the sheer emotion of the ending. Dumbledore is my favorite character in the series, and he shines in those chapters. I can't wait for Book 5!

Ray Barnsbury

NP: Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye, E.T. the Extra Terrestrial

I voted for the first book. For purely sentimental reasons, it is my favorite in the same manner that Star Wars is my favorite movie of that particular saga. It is the introduction to this world and that is something that cannot be replaced. Now if the poll had asked for which I thought was the best, I'd have to go with GoF which only slightly edges out PoA.

Thats a real credit to the series. To say eacxh one gets better.

You know, I'd heard similar comments many times before I'd read any of them and I'd thought it was probably a load of BS from over-zealous fans, but I'll be damned if it isn't true. I'm now of those people saying it to new readers. It may have something to do with the fact Rowling had meticulously plotted the entire series, down to the smallest detail, before ever writing the first book. A good example is a name that is mentioned just once in the first few pages of the Philosopher's Stone, but it's one that has great importance later in the series. Then you have the mysteries in each book which always seem to surprise, even well after you know there are going to be red-herrings everywhere. However, once the mystery is revealed, it makes perfect sense when you look back at all the subtle clues. The woman's talent is uncanny and she has quite a lot.

I read the 4 books in 7 days. I was completly hooked up. Although I give a slight edge to POA, there's no denying that the last 2 Potter book are clearly the best.

I have very high hopes for the Order of the Phoenix, which, acording to what I read in the newspaper, will have more than 700 pages.

I read the 4 books in 7 days. I was completly hooked up. Although I give a slight edge to POA, there's no denying that the last 2 Potter book are clearly the best.

I have very high hopes for the Order of the Phoenix, which, acording to what I read in the newspaper, will have more than 700 pages.

yeah, rowling confirmed it's approximately the length of GOF.

But didn't GOF only have aprox 600 pages?

It could be from the Portuguese translation, since that's the version I won and read.

Romao, who needs to get the HP books in english.

You know, I'd heard similar comments many times before I'd read any of them and I'd thought it was probably a load of BS from over-zealous fans, but I'll be damned if it isn't true. I'm now of those people saying it to new readers. It may have something to do with the fact Rowling had meticulously plotted the entire series, down to the smallest detail, before ever writing the first book.  A good example is a name that is mentioned just once in the first few pages of the Philosopher's Stone, but it's one that has great importance later in the series. Then you have the mysteries in each book which always seem to surprise, even well after you know there are going to be red-herrings everywhere. However, once the mystery is revealed, it makes perfect sense when you look back at all the subtle clues. The woman's talent is uncanny and she has quite a lot.

Yes Yes, this is exactly why I like these books.

By the way, this is my vote:

4915512398.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: Book 2

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix...

Oh, sorry it was supposed to be out by now.

I guess I'll say Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

~Lord Gibson, CoS virgin. :)

Though I consider GoF the best in the HP canon so far (for all the excellent reasons previously stated), I also would have to choose PoA as my favorite, if only because it's probably the most fun story in the series. There's enough tension to wear out the edge of your seat, but the book almost cheerfully adopts the mood of a wide-eyed children's mystery adventure, never straying too far toward the curtain of authentic darkness.

GoF, on the other hand, plunges past that curtain early on and stays there. There's nothing wrong with that, of course - Rowling deftly carries the somber burden of significance without waxing too maudlin, and it was about time the series matured into a graver adolescence - but the story paid for its tragic import by sacrificing some of the previous books' sheer entertainment. While GoF was a thoroughly good read as well, I'm hoping the rest of the series is able to alternate its moods as capably as the books that have gone before it; I would hate to see things digress into an endless queue of misfortune and doom, bloated with self-importance. Given Rowling's track record so far, however, I have no reason to believe this will happen.

- Uni

I think we have very good reasons to expect the new HP than the current 4. I just can't wait to see the saga coming to frution. BUt when it's over..it will be like Episode III...I guess I'll have to find a new reason to live.

I only know the German and British ones. The German ones are all ugly. The first two British ones are absolutely horrible, while #3 and #4 look really good.

In that BBC documentary, JKR showed a few covers from around the world. She mentioned that somewhere (forgot where) they had originally removed Harry's glasses and put his scar somewhere it was hardly visible, but that was corrected when she complained about it. She then showed an Italian (I think cover) which has Ron (?) wearing something that looks like a rat's head as a hat. She said she didn't really know what that was all about...