Did Shawn Murphy "redeem" himself with KotCS?

TownerFan

I start saying that I'm not an audiophile nor a huge sound expert, but I think I can recognize a good recording from a bad one. That being said, I think Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is one of JW's best recorded album of the latest years. There's a great dynamic punch throughout all the recording, a beautiful clarity that enhances greatly the wonderful performance of the L.A. musicians.

I know Shawn Murphy is criticized a lot on this board for his recording techniques in Williams' scores, but I think KotCS is really a top-notch recording.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I start saying that I'm not an audiophile nor a huge sound expert, but I think I can recognize a good recording from a bad one. That being said, I think Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is one of JW's best recorded album of the latest years. There's a great dynamic punch throughout all the recording, a beautiful clarity that enhances greatly the wonderful performance of the L.A. musicians.

I know Shawn Murphy is criticized a lot on this board for his recording techniques in Williams' scores, but I think KotCS is really a top-notch recording.

I don't think he did as great a job as on Prisoner of Azkaban, but yeah, this one's pretty good too.

I recently got a completely new stereo. It's a HUGE upgrade from that which I had before and it makes the difference between good recordings and bad ones that much more apparent. When I first stuck in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and listened to the Raiders March, I was blown away.

The recording is absolutely spectacular and sounds much more alive than most CDs I've heard. I'll have to refresh my memory regarding a few other recording gems I've got, but I'm pretty sure this is in the top two as far as CDs go. The dynamics are solid from top to bottom, the imaging is wonderful and the accoustics of the concert hall are quite solid. Listening to that one is a real treat.

No it's still far too much mixed. Why can't a soundtrack just have a crisp clear concert hall sound? Like the By Request Album, or other Boston Pops albums, even the Prague Philharmonic re-recordings have more natural and realistic sound.

I appreciate perfectness, but I don't like Shawn Murphy's plastic sound.

Yes, this is something I've been meaning to mention since the CD was released. We definately got the Good Murphy for this one. This is a trend lately, after a Williams layoff he usually has a good one (PoA, RotS).

I hate this recording, it is the worst one I have heard since Home Alone 2. It lacks soul

As far the Raiders march itself goes, I find that the recording from "By Request..." is the best available, due mostly to Boston Symphony Hall acoustics. The recording of it in KotCS seems a bit "small", though the rest of the score sounds fine. (weird). There are also some performance things in the By request... that I like better than the KotCS.

In the KotCS recording of The Raiders March, the trombones aren't mixed loud enough.

At least it isn't f***ing Last Crusade!