Box Anthology: Still Worth It?

My local Barnes and Nobel had one of the old '93 Anthologies out this morning for $ 37, and I briefly considered getting it. Seeing as I have all three 2 Disc SE soundtracks, all I'd listen to is the fourth disc. So tell me, is this fourth disc is worth almost 40 bucks?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're a completist, like many of us are, then abslutely it is worth the money.

The box set does feature music not heard on the SE's, mainly from Return of the Jedi. It has "Lapti Nek" (the original song heard in Jabba's palace) as well as 2 versions of "Ewok Celebration" (the film version and the album version). Some also think that the sound quality of the Return of the Jedi is superior to the RCA SE set.

I'm told the 4 disc set will soon be out of print (if it isn't already) so this may be one of your last chances to get the set. I would.

Neil

Some also think that the sound quality of the Return of the Jedi is superior to the RCA SE set.

i wouldn't be surprised if this is true since the sound quality on the ROTJ special edition is in my opinion quite poor.

Ted, who wishes the music in the ROTJ SE was as crisp as ESB

Yes!Some cues the sound is different somewhat and the long suites from final battle scenes are not seigued toghether and are individual cues.Nice if you want to do your own "best" of Williams compilations and stuff,or listen to The Dark Side Beckons without pressing the forward button forever.And you get the original finales to RotJ ....

K.M.

It's worth your money. It contains some of the original album versions of certain tracks for Star Wars, while several other cues are stand alone, rather than edited together into long pieces. Some prefer TESB from the set since it corresponds to the original film mixes (yet the source material on several of these have deteriorated sound quality due to the source materials that were used). The materials used for the 2-disc set of Empire were pristine, but in a raw format, and there wasn't much time to remix it "properly," so you don't get the same type of stereo separation as you would expect. If you listen to TESB tracks carefully, you will notice quite a bit of garbled sound or dropouts on several tracks. ROTJ also suffered from a slightly bad bit of editing on the very opening of "The Return of Jedi" track. Sounds like a brief snippet of the opening brass got accidentally cut out.

And it's also well worth it for the very nice track-by-track commentary by Lukas Kendall. A very nice book, even better than the one done for the 2-disc sets, I might add.

There are three possible responses to your question:

1. Yes!

2. Absolutely!

3. Just what the hell are you waiting for?!?! Stop reading this and go get it!

:mrgreen:

BTW, so many of our DVD's support both Dutch and French subtitles and/or sound....must have gotten something today with Belgium or something. You know, creating one DVD for three different copuntries....so I reckon you have the same BTTF boxset as I do.

hm

and what if I own all 3 Special Editions of Star Wars AND

the Original Soundtracks?

Is there any music in the Anthology Box that is not on one of the OST or / and the Special Editions?

BTW: some days ago I got my first JW Promo

"Summon the Heroes"

is there any cover for this 2 tracks Promo CD? (I only have the

CD without any kind of cover or explanation of the music label)

Yes, I suppose so, if you can't get it some other way.  :)

Morn,even your 1000kbps burnt on cdr MP3's don't match the sound of any c.d.

K.M.

1000kbps? That's like almost a wav file. :banghead:

Anyway, you are overstating it, a 256kbit mp3 is like 95% or more of the quality of a cd.