E.T. 3 DVD Boxset

Dr. Jones

Hi,

I`ve read about this edition including a great John Williams Featurette.

I really want to have it (maybe only because of this Feaurette :) ). So (when) will it be released in Europe (Germany /Austria)?

Thank`s

:) Schindler`s List (Reprise)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see you, Dr. Jones. You haven't been here for a while.

First of all, you can see that Williams featurette in the common DVD release of Europe. Yes, go and buy the 2 DVD set, and you will find it.

Second, at first it was said we wouldn't have the Gift Set (3 DVD), but as I know: Spain in February, Benelux in January and France will have it sure. So I assume other European countries will have it, at last.

You will have to decide: now the 2 DVD Set, where the JW featurette is included as well; or the 3 DVD Gift Set, with the 1982 version, some more extras, but more expensive and you will have to wait.

:) Karramarro Uhartea (Angel Illarramendi)

Thank`s scissorhands for that information. Very nice of you that you are glad I`m here again. I was by my aunt, who has no PC and no CD Player (No John Williams music for a long time :cry: )

But I´m back and will order the E.T. DVD.

Second, at first it was said we wouldn't have the Gift Set (3 DVD), but as I know: Spain in February, Benelux in January and France will have it sure. So I assume other European countries will have it, at last.

:)

Confirm, CONFIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRMMM!!!!!!, you metal-hand robot!

Anyway, I will be very :wiggle: if that is true. Of course, I'm very :wiggle: right now!

-ROSS, who expects this to be nothing less than true coming from Scissorhands

Please, explane me this, just if I were 10-year old: Is every single Williams related bit of stuff, that comes with the U.S. gift box, available on the zone two, 2-disc release? And does it includes the original film?

I don't know if I'm able to wait until January or february for a zone 2 gift box... ROTFLMAO

2 DVD Sets: The American and European versions are the same, excepting:

-American one has the 1982 version, a shorter making-of and doesn't have the Williams' short docummentary (so, in America, you can only find this last one only in the 3 DVD set

-European: no 1982 film, 50 minutes making-of (the same as the american 3 DVD set), and with the John Williams featurette.

So, if you want everything, wait for the 3 DVD Gift Set (CONFIRMED by Universal, for, at least, Spain and France). This is the only one that will include the 1982 version of the film, and more extras.

Universal didn't win too many fans over with the way they marketed the E.T. DVDs, both domestically and abroad. And they also riled up others with the upcoming Back to the Future set, as they refused to give out review copies to key DVD related websites. Not to mention, they've been pulling a "David Manning" gimmick (i.e., Sony's non-existent movie critic) by having their employees post as "users" on bulletin boards to promote their upcoming movies.

Anyhoo.... the second Williams featurette is uber cool, with him demonstrating some pieces for Spielberg! You rarely get to see Williams play his music in its raw form, on the piano. It really shows how intricately he writes out his music -- all those nooks and crannies that will eventually be played by a full orchestra. It's really a lost art now, since today many composers just noodle away on synths and get an instant mock-up of what the orchestra would sound like.

i just bought the 2 dvd set.  i hope that's ok.

Not it's not you had better explain yourself young lady!

Justin - Who still has yet to buy any E.T. DVD release. :banghead:

So, if you want everything, wait for the 3 DVD Gift Set (CONFIRMED by Universal, for, at least, Spain and France). This is the only one that will include the 1982 version of the film, and more extras.

Okay, so then I got it right. The 3-DVD set will come out in Spain in February and it will have the same contents as the U.S. release (sans the soundtrack, etc.)?

-ROSS, who never thought that would be possible

I bought the 2-DVD North American release, about 30 Canadian dollars. Even though it is missing the Williams interview featurette, which would be good to watch but not essential, I thought it was a better deal than the 3-DVD set which was more than twice as much money. Yes, that one has the featurette, but I didn't want the big bulky package taking up space in my collection; I didn't want an extra copy of the 2002 OST release or the book. Having the 1982 version plus the footage of Williams conducting the score at the Shrine is enough. I got all warm and fuzzy like I was watching Evening at Pops again!

Poo on Universal for confusing marketing and for not releasing an isolated track of the Shrine performance in its entirety...

My Ultimate set came through the post today, and I can confirm that it is definitely worth the extra cash (including the £10 customs charge I had to pay!). As for the DVD shelf space dilemma, take the actual DVD package out of the seluxe box, and it's the same height and depth as an ordinary DVD, just a bit wider!

Universal...bring it on!!!

For those who have the U.S. 2-disc set and are wondering, this one thing you would have seen on the second Williams featurette:

jw-ss.jpg

(Spielberg discusses and hums along with some of the E.T. themes; the rest of the material was Williams & Spielberg reflecting about the score, 20 years later. The best part is seeing some of the actual scoring sessions)

The first picture of the 3 DVD Set Spanish Edition:

et_lujo.jpg

Not too big, is it? Well, that's good. That way I can just put it with the rest of the DVDs.

-ROSS happy this is happening.