Hm, what is this?

indy4

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes this is very old news. During the Harry Potter recording sessions Williams took time at the end of each day to record parts of a sort of "Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra" with the themes of Harry Potter. Part of these were released on the HPPS soundtrack album. He performs parts of this suite regularly in concerts but I don't think it is very often performed in its entirety.

Now if Williams would just release the entire HPPS concert suite! :)

It actually would be a fantastic opportunity to introduce young people to the orchestra through the Potter scores. I know my interest in orchestral and specifically film music started with Philosopher's Stone, and from repeated listens I was able to teach myself the different sections of the orchestra. Of course, being a Williams fantasy score it was approximately twice the size of a traditional symphony orchestra so my expectations of orchestration in general were out of proportion.

Still, if there was a program, similar to the "Young Persons Guide to the Orchestra", that would be fantastic.

and from repeated listens I was able to teach myself the different sections of the orchestra. Of course, being a Williams fantasy score it was approximately twice the size of a traditional symphony orchestra so my expectations of orchestration in general were out of proportion.

I do not think Wiliams used a bigger orchestra then is usual.

He does not have to.

and from repeated listens I was able to teach myself the different sections of the orchestra. Of course, being a Williams fantasy score it was approximately twice the size of a traditional symphony orchestra so my expectations of orchestration in general were out of proportion.

I do not think Wiliams used a bigger orchestra then is usual.

He does not have to.

I may have exaggerated, but I'm fairly certain he used more brass and string players than the standard orchestra. Not to mention other instruments like the celeste which aren't "standard" orchestra instruments.

This is news to me since i joined the site after HP release.

So what are the names of these pieces?

And where do they appear on the OST?

Hedwig's theme and Harry's Wondrous world, i suppose are two of them...

It's been discussed many times

Fluffy's Harp (OST)

Diagon Alley (extended not on OST,bootleg)

Harry's Wondrous World (OST)

Quidditch (performed by Boston Pops)

Nimbus 2000 (Performed by Prague)

Hedwig's Flight (OST prologue)

Voldermort (bootleg)

The Sorcerer's Stone ( performed in the HPCoS score?)

Family Portrait (Berlin philarmonic)

Is there any decent recording of the 'Voldemort' piece available? Of all the Harry-Potter pieces, i liked this dark theme as much as 'Hedwig's Theme' but it's never represented satisfyingly on any score release or on compilations known to me.

What do you consider a standard sized orchestra?

Around 4-5 horns. (Williams often uses 8-10)

Around 3 trumpets. (Williams often uses 5 or more)

Around 25 violins. (Williams often uses up to 40)

and so on.

Some of the textures Williams creates require the use of more. The Quidditch scene from PS, for instance has a considerable brass section - at least a little bigger than what I consider "standard". He writes dense and complex music. Ergo, the orchestra is bigger.

Also, the "standard" of which I'm talking is obviously not an industry standard, it's really only in my own experiences listening to works from many styles and composers. Film scores, generally, utilise a bigger orchestra. Certainly more than a classical symphony - which is where the symphony orchestra has its roots.