Why Film Scores?

MattyO

Actually yes. She had a good role next to Patrick Stewart in a Star Trek: TNG episode The Perfect Mate. She was outstanding in Goldeneye. Fetching in the X-Men films, effective in House On Haunted Hill (as far as I can remember) and very good in Ally McBeal, even though the show wore thin on me.

"The Perfect Mate" is one my favorite episodes of Next Generation. Those tattoos are about as sexy as anything I can think of; they were wise to transplant them to the Trills and onto Dax in Deep Space Nine.

I wish Janssen got more good roles; I think she deserves them.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahhh poor boys always focused on their, well you know.. men could be so much more, but in the end they are just horny apes who would do everything to jerk off.

But MissPadmé, that's precisely why men are so much more. It's why we invented everything we know today. You do know that John Williams, Debussy, Stravinsky, Michelangelo and Leonardo Da Vinci are men, don't you?

Alex - who too was pulled in by the Star Wars LP but soon discovered that not all film music was devine.

Two Words:

Star Wars

A fantastic score that has yet to be approached, let alone equaled by anything since,even by John Williams himself!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

But MissPadmé, that's precisely why men are so much more. It's why we invented everything we know today. You do know that John Williams, Debussy, Stravinsky, Michelangelo and Leonardo Da Vinci are men, don't you?

and they did the brilliant things they did, to score with the chicks, right?

Alex - who too was pulled in by the Star Wars LP but soon discovered that not all film music was devine.

True, but the same counts for everything in life.

Surely, there must be people who think this genre leans towards divineness. Why else do they have thousands of soundtracks stacked on their shelves and nothing else?

I soon discovered that I liked John Williams but not so much his competition. Elfman, Morricone, Horner ... I tried it but it was to no avail. Yes, I found out that I'm not a soundtrack boy.

Alex

I have hundreds of soundtracks stacked in my collection and virtually nothing else, yet even I do not believe that all film music is brilliant.

I soon discovered that I liked John Williams but not so much his competition. Elfman, Morricone, Horner ... I tried it but it was to no avail. Yes, I found out that I'm not a soundtrack boy.

So basically it's mostly Williams and Herrmann for you.

They do good stuff occasionally.

Why film scores? I've asked that question for years now, and I still don't know. Maybe the emotion and wonder, but then why do we like dark and depressing music? I guess it's easy to associate such moments with a film. It really helps that I'm very into the technicalities of film-making, and so I find it easy to attach made-up images to almost anything.

• 2 weeks later...
What first drew you to film scores?

For me it was the complexity of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. It was the first time I really noticed that a movie had music (yes, I'm a relative n00b). Plus, I couldn't find another musical style that suited me. I got the first HP soundtrack for Christmas 2001 and that's what began it for me.

OMG, the same thing happened to me. HP1 was my first movie soundtrack and I then fell in love with JW and movie music!