Why Film Scores?

MattyO

What first drew you to film scores?

For me it was the complexity of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. It was the first time I really noticed that a movie had music (yes, I'm a relative n00b). Plus, I couldn't find another musical style that suited me. I got the first HP soundtrack for Christmas 2001 and that's what began it for me.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, I only used that term because I swear I saw it written on a thread. Oh well, I'll stick to what I know.

Don't listen to him! Use whatever language you want to use. this is a free world and you are a free humanbeing, he has no right to tell you what to do and what not. And no matter how often he and others will try to convionce you, that he is right and you have to obey him, DO NOT give in. yOU cAn do WHat Ever YoU WANnt!!

Oh and Star Wars Double LP by the way! (not knowing the picture just the music)

DO NOT give in. yOU cAn do WHat Ever YoU WANnt!!

Yes, but writing like that makes you look like a twat!

well not important how I write, mor important what I write, and writing such comments like yours not only make you look like one! .......

In your face Dutchman!!! :angry:

Ron Jones' music to the TV show Duck Tales got me into instrumental background music for TV/film. The principles are much the same for film and TV scoring. However, it was a few years before I got the 1993 SW Anthology, but after that I was hooked.

By the way, MattyO...

n00b-hello.jpg

While Star Wars, and John Barry's King Kong, really got me going I would say that it's been in my blood as far back as I can remember. I've always enjoyed music to TV shows and movies.

Is it the movies or the music? That's the question. I remember certain people being perplexed as to why I would listen to film scores. They had to make sense of it somehow. One person concluded after much contemplation that it must be because of the film - that I wanted to remember the film scenes in my head and that was all. However, that would not explain how I could have so many soundtracks that I have not even seen the movies of. I have to give equal credit to great films for turning me on to soundtracks in the first place, but if the music was not so good on its own, I never would have wanted to listen to it away from the films.

What all this comes down to, is that it's simply great music. There is still that question of "why" that you get - a question nobody asks "classical" enthusiasts (of which I am one too). People see film music on a lesser plane, and therefore don't think it could possibly be the music itself that attracts listeners.

Ah, but many people often do ask classical enthusiasts why they like that kind of music, too. Just try being that classical music nut who turns the radio in the car to the local classical radio station (in my area, affiliated with the PBS station), and have people complain "I don't wanna listen to that, it's boring, can we listen to something else, there's no words, I wanna sing along, isn't there a game on" or something else like that. Or if you really want to start a fight, tune it to the opera station and leave it there.

I'm a classical music nut myself in addition to film scores, and even though I'm quite happy to listen to a rock station or a sporting event on the radio, I do often tune to my WQED station to see if whatever classical song they're playing is one that I'm familiar with. Some people become classical music fans because they played them in band or music lessons in grade school, or they associate it with being intelligent and just get hooked, and some people like it because it was used so often in Bugs Bunny cartoons.

How do? / Welcome to my shop / Let me cut your mop / Let me shave your crop / Daintily, daintily...

Hey, you! / Don't look so perplexed / Why must you be vexed? / Can't you see you're next? / Yes, you're next, you're so next!

My family always had soundtracks around to one degree or another growing up (I recently came across LPs of Superman, Raiders and Patton), but I didn't start to actually notice and anticipate movie music and composers until Revenge of the Sith.

And that probably stems directly from my being a Star Wars geek all my life. The films and the toys were my favorite.

Yes. I loved ewoks.

Do we have to have a separate thread on this everytime a new member joins?

For me: helicopter entering Isla Nublar Skies in Jurassic Park

DO NOT give in. yOU cAn do WHat Ever YoU WANnt!!

Yes, but writing like that makes you look like a twat!

Umm..couldn't you have used another word?

But for me it was watching Raiders on TV in 1986. Desert Chase music particularly.

The Rock got me into film and scores. The Phantom Menace and Spider-Man were my real first scores. I actually think Men In Black was before that, but I had the soundtrack not the score (same with Spider-Man). Although both of those had 2 score tracks on it. Signs was also an early score for me, so all of those got me into collecting, which is why JW, JNH, and DE are the composers for which I own the most scores.

Film music speaks to me ,and not pop music with lyrics .

I'm not trying to find an explanation,it's just that way.

It's the same here...

I seemed to start to notice and acknowledge film music early on in my life... There were such movies like Home Alone or Bond pictures in which music always played a crucial part and it never failed to affect me. Then there was Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition release and this was the first moment in which I was fully consciously captured by the music to the extent that I began listening to it outside the picture. Soon I learned about the other scores of Williams and slowly, but surely started paying attention to other people's music... Thesedays, I spend the best years of my life in front of the computer screen on this MB and I write the reviews for one of the polish soundtrack-devoted sites...

I like the not-so-hidden love story that's borning between Stefan and MissPadmé, you're so niiice. :P

Oh, for me it started with...Indiana Jones (all of the Trilogy).

What a surprise.

I like the not-so-hidden love story that's borning between Stefan and MissPadmé, you're so niiice. :P

I don't like Teutonic chicks, sorry.

No offense Esther.

Oh I don't take this as an offense, it just shows me that you don't have a good taste.. ;)

and sorry but I am not teutonic, I am from the South of Austria, so I am more a slavonic type

ahhh poor boys always focused on their, well you know.. men could be so much more, but in the end they are just horny apes who would do everything to jerk off.

lets get this back on topic..

I always listend to the german Star Wars LP while playing ion the living room, without knowing what "Krieg der Sterne" (Really prefer That TITLE!) is..

my favourite has always been: LP1 ide 1 Track 3: Princess Leia's Theme

This is how I know Star Wars.. http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=GGSYKUAjjYE

ahhh poor boys always focused on their, well you know.. men could be so much more, but in the end they are just horny apes who would do everything to jerk off.

You are single right?

Besides she is a very talented actress?

You are single right?

Besides she is a very talented actress?

no I am not..

Yeah I am sure it's her "talents" you like!

Actually yes. She had a good role next to Patrick Stewart in a Star Trek: TNG episode The Perfect Mate. She was outstanding in Goldeneye. Fetching in the X-Men films, effective in House On Haunted Hill (as far as I can remember) and very good in Ally McBeal, even though the show wore thin on me.

I loved her in TNG. I read that she was originally to reprise that role in DS9 but she didn't commit and they ended up replacing her character with Dax. I'd love to have seen what she did with the character.

Also can't help grinning when I see her flirt with Patrick Stewart, knowing how she looks to him more as a father figure in the X-Men films!

When I realised as a kid that John Williams wrote the music for almost all of my childhood favourite movies (Star Wars, Superman, Home Alone ...), I was instantly hooked. Over the years, this addiction has manifested itself in cca. 800 soundtracks' collection and immense quantities of spent money. The addiction is over the years growing ever more serious and is incurable, I know that by now, and je ne regrette rien. bowdown

The obsession is almost all consuming for me, I am frequently letting film scores enter my daily life and spending money on albums to films I've never seen. I've never been so excited for upcoming CD releases!

There is so much more music than just John Williams out there it's ridiculous.

If you had told me 15 years ago that I would have all this music in 2008 I wouldn't have believed you.

It was watching Evening at Pops in the very early 90s, and then I ran across my parents' By Request cassette and confiscated it as my own. As a horn player, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion. :)

• 3 weeks later...