When is the last time you...

airmanjerm

Just wondering when is the last time you sat and actually WATCHED one of the movies...you know, those movies with scores you are continuously listening to and that we are continuously discussing (or debating).

For me, Temple of Doom is the current one. I've heard the music, etc fpr years, and I really have seen the film a thousand times....but it's been just a WHILE since I've actually sat and watched it. So, tonight after I finished my work (my wife is off doing something), I put it on and really WATCHED it.

Not "had it on in the background while I was really over here reading through the posts on JWFAN.COM and not paying attention....." but I actually raided the fridge, put it on downstairs on the "main" TV, and just literally WATCHED it.

What a fun time! I honestly do think it's a completely different experience than what we all typically give ourselves: watching some 30-second section OVER AND OVER to see how the music "fit," or something like that, isn't really watching the movie.

I'm not trying to start a debate or anything (good lord, my post about JW's "periods" started way more debate than I intended), I just think it's interesting how often we neglect the real "pleasure" of the films for the academic aspect...regardless of what your "academic" viewpoint of the music (etc.) is.

What's the last one you really just sat and watched from start to finish?

New ones like KotCS and "Dark Knight," etc. don't count.....they just came out. (haha)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see what you mean, and I do it all the time. Lately I've been so busy that if I see a movie at all, it's on in the background and I'm not paying attention.

The other day, I sat down and really watched Gladiator and forgot how great of a movie it was. It's hard to explain and easy to forget what makes some of our favorite movies so special. After a while, we just accept that some movies are our "favorites" without ever watching them. Then, when you do finally give all your attention to them, it's an experience, definitely.

Last Indy film I saw (not counting KotCS) was ToD. I think it was just before we recieved word of an expanded Raiders...just before the tidings of hope sat on our horizon. I want to see them all again. Not that I've memorized all the music that, only several weeks ago, seemed so distant and legendary, I would like to see how they all fit in with the films.

As for all films in general, last one I saw that wasn't in a theatre was...Baby Momma, I am embarrassed to say. It was with friends, and they all really wanted to see it. I actually enjoyed it, despite the stupid humor that it was.

(good lord, my post about JW's "periods" started way more debate than I intended)

Nothing wrong with a good debate. :)

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

I hadn't seen it in years, literally years, and decided to celebrate my recent purchase of the 2-CD promo by popping it in the DVD player after all this time. Unfortunately, I was disappointed rather than enlightened, as I noticed the film was more flawed than I remembered. :)

It still shows occasional flashes of brilliance, but IMO rushes through major visual set pieces and instead chooses to divulge narrative exposition through long-winded dialog and an instance or two of heavy-handed symbolism.

Recently it was the two latest Batman movies (Dark Knight and Batman Begins). Problem is, when I watch those movies, I have this overwhelming urge to start humming the Danny Elfman scores from the Michael Keaton movies.

I never watch a movie "in the background." I have before, but only if the TV is on in my room and I'm on my computer. When I watch a DVD or Blu-ray, I watch it, meaning the lights go off, the speakers go up and I sit back and watch. I appreciate film more than film music.

I do that often. A great deal of the scores I love come from movies I love, so it's rarely just about hearing the score in context. Although there's one movie in particular, Michael Collins, that I often come back to because I feel like experiencing Goldenthal's score. But I love and enjoy the movie every time as well.

I never watch a movie "in the background." I have before, but only if the TV is on in my room and I'm on my computer. When I watch a DVD or Blu-ray, I watch it, meaning the lights go off, the speakers go up and I sit back and watch.

Same here.

I don't have as much time for watching movies as I would like, but I still do it frequently; saw all Indy movies recently, a couple of Bond and Harry Potter movies, and the Lord of Rings films are next. I admittedly sometimes play them in the background when I'm busy, but I usually really try to pay attention and really enjoy them (and their music).

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

I hadn't seen it in years, literally years, and decided to celebrate my recent purchase of the 2-CD promo by popping it in the DVD player after all this time. Unfortunately, I was disappointed rather than enlightened, as I noticed the film was more flawed than I remembered. :thumbup:

It still shows occasional flashes of brilliance, but IMO rushes through major visual set pieces and instead chooses to divulge narrative exposition through long-winded dialog and an instance or two of heavy-handed symbolism.

WHAT!!!!

Negativity about A.I. on this message board shall not be tolerated. How dare you disrespect this film. HOW DARE YOU SIR!

Of course, it belies your signature.

almost 8 years have passed since AI. thats a long time.

WHAT!!!!

Negativity about A.I. on this message board shall not be tolerated. How dare you disrespect this film. HOW DARE YOU SIR!

Oh, come on. Don't tell me you watched the film w/o wondering at least once how Stan the Man would've directed a particular scene.

For instance, it's bad enough that, after 2003, every time I watch the scene where a school of fish guide David underwater I'm reminded of Finding Nemo. An unfortunate coincidence, but even if Nemo had never been released, it's still not a good idea to apply light touches like those to intellectual science fiction.

WHAT!!!!

Oh, come on. Don't tell me you watched the film w/o wondering at least once how Stan the Man would've directed a particular scene.

For instance, it's bad enough that, after 2003, every time I watch the scene where a school of fish guide David underwater I'm reminded of Finding Nemo. An unfortunate coincidence, but even if Nemo had never been released, it's still not a good idea to apply light touches like those to intellectual science fiction.

I was just teasing you, I am the most constant hater on AI, which I think is beyond any doubt the worst Spielberg film of his career, its a disaster.

A.I. sucked

True, it did. And then, one day....it stopped sucking. Quite an achievment.

I actually rewatch my favorite movies pretty regularly (which include plenty of JW scored movies). It's just something I have always done, and always adding new favorites, like Hellboy 2 - The Golden Army. AI has some great scenes and cinematography, but it's uneven, and I smell Koepp as a ghostwriter, with some of those hammy family lines. Spielberg's writing never sank that low before.

What? Koepp in A.I., just becuase the family lines are hammy? I don't think that hammy is the best word for it, but whatever stilted quality the dialogue has, it works wonders on the film. The sense of unease in the begining of the film is fantastic, and underrated.

i have watched Indiana Jones And The Temple Of doom as recently as the weekend before last and have watched indiana jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull about 3 or 4 times in the last couple of weeks raiders i always watch a couple of times a year anyway , the only other film i have watched beginning to end recently (bout 2 weeks ago) was JFK director's

cut and about 3 weeks ago i watched Stephen King's Maximum Overdrive. ooh and last one i watched was Mama Mia actualy thoroughly enjoyable i must say as is the soundtrack hopefully a second set will come out with the exiced tracks and some of the underscore in time

Been more of a tv show mindset lately as i'm a bit restless and can't keep my attention to a long thing. currently in season 3 of "third rock from the sun" and just finished season 1 of the original "Knight rider"