The Death of Yoda

Luke Skywalker

I was listening to this piece today and specially noted the (anthology tracktimes) moment between 5:10 and 5:37. I know it is the same melody as 'the dark side beckons'...

But I had an 'epiphany' ( :mrgreen: ) when i got to the force theme part. It resembled so much the Funeral of Padmé!

Could it be that Williams based his funeral theme from the prequels from Yoda's death? I would make sense since he made it for qui-gon and he was another jedi.

I'm not literate enough to know if the notes match so i'm asking if anyone can confirm or deny this.

I suppose its just the mood and pace of the two cues where the similarity rests.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's such a cliche... but I motherf*cking love "The Dark Side Beckons." What an amazing piece of music. The prequels never got to that level. As for the relationship with "The Death of Yoda," I can't tell. There are some vague melodic similarities. Certainly the harmonies are not the same.

I was listening to this piece today and specially noted the (anthology tracktimes) moment between 5:10 and 5:37. I know it is the same melody as 'the dark side beckons'...

If someone can find out the tracktime on the SE, or what exact part of the movie, I'd love to listen for this.

It's amelody that has the same "idea" as dark side beckons ,but I don't think it is exactly the same. Maybe Williams based one piece on the other.

It's a bit like the fanfare at the end of Sail Barge Assault and Through the Flames...similar but not quite the same

If someone can find out the tracktime on the SE, or what exact part of the movie, I'd love to listen for this.

7:13-7:40

What about Qui gon's funeral?

Isn't that the same piece?

I meant with that 'get on topic' (Of course i know Padme's and quigon's funerals are the same theme...)

I just commented the dark side beckons because i didnt want anyone saying 'that part of Yoda's death is Dark side beckons' as if i didnt knew it. But it seems that people just can speak about that cue...

Listened to this just now. It's not exact, but it is damn close. Good find.

But I had an 'epiphany' ( :) ) when i got to the force theme part. It resembled so much the Funeral of Padmé!

This I don't hear. It's the Force theme, not the funeral theme.

But I had an 'epiphany' ( :nod: ) when i got to the force theme part. It resembled so much the Funeral of Padmé!

This I don't hear. It's the Force theme, not the funeral theme.

I mean that the preceding music + force theme reminded me of padmes funeral.

The rendition of force theme just at that very moment, was what made me notice it the 'resemblance' .

Probably just a coincidence.

It appears outside of several major themes Williams didn't make any effort to link the two trilogies together with little music hints or ideas.

I think you are the 1st to talk about the similarity of Yoda's death and Prequel funeral in this thread. Thanks.

It could be a coincidence, but its curious that both of them are for dead characters.

Maybe williams made greater effort than it seems from the surface, but without a proper presentation and liner notes, or actual proof by the composer we never know.

I'm talking of the slight similarity between Kamino's theme and departure of boba fett, for example. Ir could be something there, but we might never know.

It would be cool if Williams intentionally thought of "The Death of Yoda" when composing "Qui-Gon's Funeral", but most likely that isn't the case. I'm not even sure if he remembers writing "Death of Yoda".

It appears outside of several major themes Williams didn't make any effort to link the two trilogies together with little music hints or ideas.

Look careful and you find quite some very cool hints and ideas :lol:

JW incorporated the Jabba theme (which certainly isn't a major theme) in the cue (on OST) Anakin vs Sebulba.

He also reworked the Emperor's theme into Augie's great municipal band

Hm, and the Rebel fanfare appears in RotS during the space battle (also no major theme)