• Minority Report by John Williams
  2. 2. Which MOVIE do you like better?

• Total Recall by Paul Verhoeven
    • Minority Report by Steven Spielberg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a tie, but I picked Total Recall for film and MR for score. The MR film suffers from a lagging ending with no action. The TR score suffers from Temp tracked beginning (signature is unoriginal) and a lagging, repetetive finale.

Jesse

What you call lagging and repetitive I call one of the most amazing and exciting rhythmic buildups I've heard. :lol: A killer finale.

It sometimes strikes me as awesome, but a lot of the time it seems static while he's trying to turn on the machine (compared to the rest of the score). The best part of the score is all during the middle for me. None of it is bad, though. I really love Total Recall, so it's tough making a choice. Whereas I usually find all the MR stuff pretty fresh and active. I also just love when Williams is all murky, tense and suspenseful for a score. It's better than Nixon in that it has more for the ear.

They could use those in movies today and I'd be happy.

Seconded! Everything old is new again anyway.

SPR is pretty gory. But it's never as gratuitous as Verhoeven, who always thoroughly enjoys his bloodsplatters.

It's immoral to hide violence's true horror. You're putting a pretty package on something that should shock.

And Total Recall clearly wins. It's one of the great action music writing interesting, Goldsmith displays a rhymthic genius to rival Stravinsky.

I voted for Total Recall score and Minority Report movie, but I think I should've voted TR for movie as well. After all, I've seen TR a million times and always loved it, which I only saw MR once (and thought it was incredibly well done, but still)

Personally, I think Total Recall is a joke with respect to its screenplay. The lines are beyond bad and the acting is not much better. It begins well with its set-up but once it moves to its 3rd act, things go downhill faster than an olympic skier.

The audience was having a good time with the film last week. The dialogue was fine and Arnold even delivered a perfect "Eff you" at one point, which was great.

Neil

Saw the film a couple of months ago, and I was surprised by how well thought-out the screenplay was. The dialogue may not be great, but it is a surprisingly well constructed screenplay.