Scandal rocks the classical world!

Hlao-roo

Hot Air and Simple Fraud  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Was the performance of 'Air and Simple Gifts' at Obama's inauguration appropriately handled?

• Yes, unequivocally.
    • Yes and no. It's OK that they used a pre-existing recording, but they should have made that public knowledge beforehand.
    • No, but what else could they have done?
    • No, what was perpetrated upon us was an utter sham and an indelible stain on the record of all involved.

A sham and a stain I'm afraid. I've always objected to bands miming to a prerecorded track during TV performances. It's much worse that these four great musicians felt that's the way they had to go. Pathetic.

There was a question not just of tuning but of damaging the instruments.

Some sort of tent might have been the answer then. There should have been another way. What about the instruments they were using on the day? I'm sure they weren't their most expensive instruments, but they would have sounded fine for the occasion, and they clearly weren't too worried about having those out in the cold. A small heated tent open at the front would have protected them from wind.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Lord, some of you guys really ought to lighten up. I used to play trombone and tuning in cold weather was difficult to say the least. It was freezing cold outside that day and I'm sure it was more important that the music sounded good with the musicians playing (BTW- they WERE playing the music as people close by could hear them- they just were not mic'd).

It's small little things like this that remind me that there is ultimately no hope for our species.

Dear Lord, some of you guys really ought to lighten up. I used to play trombone and tuning in cold weather was difficult to say the least. It was freezing cold outside that day and I'm sure it was more important that the music sounded good with the musicians playing (BTW- they WERE playing the music as people close by could hear them- they just were not mic'd).

It's small little things like this that remind me that there is ultimately no hope for our species.

I simply answered the poll question by saying that yes, I am disappointed at the revelation they were not playing live the music as heard. When people challenged my answer I gave reasons. I still say it was a cop-out and a better solution could have been found. I don't think my opinions are in any way going to contribute to the eventual downfall of our species. :)

I simply answered the poll question by saying that yes, I am disappointed at the revelation they were not playing live the music as heard. When people challenged my answer I gave reasons. I still say it was a cop-out and a better solution could have been found. I don't think my opinions are in any way going to contribute to the eventual downfall of our species. :)

I actually was not necessarily commenting on your point Pixie, just the fact that this was not a thing to get up in arms about in general by those who think Williams, Ma, Perlman and co. committed some awful crime.

But it's a free country so people are afforded the right to bitch about anything and everything so I guess if I do not like it I can choose to switch the computer off.

Oh I've considered this planet completely f****d long before this. But that's another discussion.

I put it down to this: if no one on the day noticed, what's the problem? They were playing it live, and we were hearing a performance by those same people, and it all went without a hitch.

Scandal? :) What else could they have done?

I would rather them mime to tape then possibly sound bad due to the weather. This is really, really common in outdoor performances and I have no problem with it. The military orchestra at the "We Are One" concert the previous day also did not actually play, they had prerecorded everything in rehearsal.

In fact, I read where when they softly played during miming to the prerecorded track, the strings were found to be a 1/2 step to whole step out of tune in about 15 mins in those temperatures!

No big scandal here, I'm afraid...

I still say it was a cop-out and a better solution could have been found.

I can just see then putting a tape deck on stage and some large pictures of the players. :P

John Cage might have enjoyed that :lol:

I still say it was a cop-out and a better solution could have been found.

I can just see then putting a tape deck on stage and some large pictures of the players. ROTFLMAO

John Cage might have enjoyed that ;)

Ha!

Seriously.... YOU try moving your fingers outside, for a long period of time, at that temperature. Not so much. Moving on.