What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

American Horror Story Asylum is down to two or three remaining episodes.

Last nights episode featured a fantastic musical number, and gave a clue to next seasons theme. two major characters died, it was completely surprising.

we watched all 12 episodes of the first season of American Horror Story. It's not quite as good as the second season but it's still excellent in in own right. Jessica Lange is wonderful in both series.

Having recently caught up on all seasons of Dexter, Downton Abbey, Boardwalk Empire, Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls, Once Upon a Time, and only 2 episodes behind on Breaking Bad and 3 behind on Fringe, we hope to move on to Homeland soon, and then I hope to convince the GF that Twin Peaks should be after that..... (neither of us have seen any episodes of either). Then I really need to see Game of Thrones...

Game of Thrones will be much easier to get into for you and your lady I'd have thought, but I could be wrong about that. Twin Peaks is over twenty years old now, which is old by tv standards, but if you have no problems with that and can make it past that initial jarring sensation, you'll be golden. Which is when you realise its age has become very much a part of the appeal.

Marcy's seen the first season of Game of Thrones already, and she liked it. She held off on watching Season 2 until I had seen 1 so that we can watch it together.

We're both excited about Homeland, everyone who watches it does nothing but rave about it

I have wanted to see Twin Peaks for ages, and I recently bought the Gold Edition box set of all the episodes + the real pilot. Can't wait to bust it open. If Marcy isn't hooked after the pilot I'll still find time to watch it all myself. I love Mulholland Drive (the only Lynch film or TV I've seen), and have high hopes for TP.

Breaking Bad is the best show I've ever seen, you should check that one out for sure.

I'm working through the second season of Stargate Atlantis. Formulaic at times, but the cast is appealing and Joel Goldsmith's score really elevates the episodes. And I like the more character-driven storylines.

Probably next on my list.

you could do worse. I hope you find it entertaining. Not sure if how well you know Psycho but there are several times where they borrow the music with terrific affect.

We're both excited about Homeland, everyone who watches it does nothing but rave about it

I haven't seen it but isn't that just another ordinary and very compromised 'for the masses' show? Like 24 or something? CIA and terrorists ... A friend of mine recommends it but I don't see the appeal.

I'm not going to devote my time and money to a show that I can just watch. I've become very spoiled over the years. And I've just seen I, Claudius so my next show better be exceptionally good.

Alex

I haven't seen it but isn't that just another ordinary and very compromised 'for the masses' show? Like 24 or something? CIA and terrorists ... A friend of mine recommends it but I don't see the appeal.

You are misinformed, its not that kind of show at all.

Interesting post as always, Jason.

So, it's not about CIA and terrorists?

I believe it is (I've never seen it), but I know its not a "for the masses" CSI/NCIS/L&O/etc type show. Its on the Showtime network, a premium pay cable channel here (so they do not have to censor language, violence, and sex), and is staffed with excellent writers and other crew. The show has won many Emmys and other awards and its widely critically and viewer hailed. Its widely regarded by television critics as the best show on television (most pick Homeland or Breaking Bad). The main male actor just won the Emmy for best actor for season one, beating Bryan Cranston for best actor in Breaking Bad season 4 after he won three years straight for the first three seasons of that show.

I believe Homeland won the most Emmys of any show this year.

Everyone at work who watches it gets together and discusses what happened in the previous night's episode every Monday and all I hear is them exclaiming how good such and such event was.

No one talks about NCIS/CI/JAG type shows

Probably next on my list.

you could do worse. I hope you find it entertaining. Not sure if how well you know Psycho but there are several times where they borrow the music with terrific affect.

I know Psycho and its music.

Would you say you find this show anywhere near as satisfying as The Walking Dead?

I'm not going to devote my time to a show that I can just watch.

I deleted part of the statement and now it just looks silly. Like something a couple of pretentious plonkers might say.

Hee hee

That's what happens when you take things out of context.

Chaac, who looked up Homeland and seeing what it was about skipped it, as good as it might be.

In another news, I'm getting interested in Boardwalk Empire.

Yeah, silly to delete words and then comment on a new statement, Lee. Let's all critique each other on things we didn't say. How interesting!

Interesting post as always, Jason.

So, it's not about CIA and terrorists?

I believe it is (I've never seen it), but I know its not a "for the masses" CSI/NCIS/L&O/etc type show. Its on the Showtime network, a premium pay cable channel here (so they do not have to censor language, violence, and sex), and is staffed with excellent writers and other crew. The show has won many Emmys and other awards and its widely critically and viewer hailed. Its widely regarded by television critics as the best show on television (most pick Homeland or Breaking Bad). The main male actor just won the Emmy for best actor for season one, beating Bryan Cranston for best actor in Breaking Bad season 4 after he won three years straight for the first three seasons of that show.

I believe Homeland won the most Emmys of any show this year.

Everyone at work who watches it gets together and discusses what happened in the previous night's episode every Monday and all I hear is them exclaiming how good such and such event was.

No one talks about NCIS/CI/JAG type shows

Okay, that's good to know. My friend couldn't really say anything about it other than "see it'. The cover and the subject made me fear the worst.

And why is that? Do you think I should put my time and money in things that I don't really like? Personally, I think it's you who are silly.

I always buy TV series and watch one episode every night. It leads to a much better experience.

The statement was poorly expressed, if anything.

What's your point? Do you even have one?

And why is that? Do you think I should put my time and money in things that I don't really like?

Like Lee said, it's very easy to watch television for free. But on the whole, I think you should put your time into something to find out whether you like it or not instead of always talking out of your ass based on Rotten Tomatoes and trailers. "CIA and terrorists you say? Trash!"

Personally, I think it's you who are silly.

Whaaaat?! No way!

Yes, for shows I REALLY like I purposely only watch 1 episode per day if not only 1 episode per week. It really lets each episode sink into your brain more as you anticipate and ponder on what might happen next.

Shows I don't care about as much like Downton Abbey or Once Upon A Time (basically my GF's shows that I watch with her) I don't mind watching multiple eps at once becuase I'm not as invested.

I recently bought the Blu Rays of seasons 1-4 of Breaking Bad and can't wait to check out the special features. Apparently the Blu Rays have "extended uncensored" episodes as well, and I've only seen the aired versions of each episode.

The statement was poorly expressed, if anything.

What's your point? Do you even have one?

Yes. I can see where you come from but you were relying enough on context and other posts that it seems silly when quoting just that.

I think you should put your time into something to find out whether you like it or not instead of always talking out of your ass based on Rotten Tomatoes and trailers. "CIA and terrorists you say? Trash!"

What do you think that I'm doing right now? Rotten Tomatoes?! I said that a friend recommended it to me (but he was very uninformative and he does love a number of shows that I don't happen to like all that much). Today, I held the DVD in my hands and I didn't like the cover or what it said on the back. Yes, I'm finding out whether it's a show for me. I buy shows. I didn't know about Breaking Bad until Morlock talked about it. Based upon his recommendations, I bought it and I didn't regret it a single day. If you don't have anything to write other than hostile comments then don't comment at all.

Yes, for shows I REALLY like I purposely only watch 1 episode per day if not only 1 episode per week. It really lets each episode sink into your brain more as you anticipate and ponder on what might happen next.

I don't think I can go back on watching TV series on TV. Most shows on TV suck anyway. And when they do not suck, I've already seen them on DVD or Blu-ray.

Yea, watching TV shows live is so 20th century. It's always preferable now to watch episodes in perfect HD quality with the commercials already removed, at the time you choose to watch it rather than the time it happens to air.

And yes, most shows on TV suck. But that makes the ones that are actually GOOD all the more special, I think.

Man, I forgot about commercials! Thank god for DVD or Blu-ray!

Definitely. I will never sell my Animaniacs, Carnivale, Newsradio, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Six Feet Under and The Shield DVDs or my Dollhouse, Lost, Pushing Daisies and Breaking Bad Blu Rays.

I remember that Mad Men was recommended to me by play.com (UK)... but I was intrigued by the cover, the premise (advertisement in the '60s), the comments and the price. I felt it could be a show for me so I bought it. I was right. I'm often right about these things.

I always had a bad feeling about The Shield. I do love The Wire, though.

speaking of Breaking Bad, Family Guy's takedown of that show the other night was spectacular and on point.

I miss Morlock!

I don't know, Steef, he ended up watching movies and documentaries that nobody ever heard of. And I mean 'nobody'!

He was even watching short movies. Can you believe it?! Short movies!

speaking of Breaking Bad, Family Guy's takedown of that show the other night was spectacular and on point.

How do you know it was on point if you've never watched Breaking Bad before?

Joey did watch a bit of that show ... he said the main character was played by a good actor or something like that.

Of course, I think that's an understatement. Bryan Cranston is brilliant! So are all the others. Combined with the great dialogue and unusual, non-formulaic storylines, it's a must-see.

Yea, he's incredible on the show, I'm not surprised at all he won the Emmy for Best Actor for 3 straight years for the first 3 seasons of the show. I really want to see Homeland to see the performance that the Emmy voters decided was better than his performance as Walt in Season 4 (which I thought was the best season yet in terms of Bryan Cranston's acting - I'll never forget him cackling like a mad men in the crawlspace below their house).

How do you know it was on point if you've never watched Breaking Bad before?

if you're going to respond on an equal footing perhaps knowing what you're talking about might help. Perhaps if you'd seen what I was talking about you might understand.

Bryan Cranston is a very good actor but his character Walter has no redemption in his future.

Does the show has anyone to root for?

Yes, but because of their flaws, not because they are clear cut good. Cranston is immediately likable but it takes some time before you will root for Jesse Pinkman, his young partner in crime. And root for him you will, trust me!

Alex

If the main character is irredeemable drug dealer?

yes, he's an evil pathetic pos human being.