What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

It's nothing like Lost at all.

You should've told me that when I was watching the show and experiencing deja vus of Lost.

you're interpretation is your own, but in no way is the show anything like lost.

You should've told me that when I was watching the show and experiencing deja vus of Lost.

you're interpretation is your own, but in no way is the show anything like lost.

Sure it is, many 'others' see it too. It's pretty obvious, actually.

Alex

LOST did inspire many clones after its breakout success, like Invasion, Surface, and to an extent Heroes

That was a horrible time for TV. Wasn't Jericho a rip off as well? They were all horrible.

Surface was campy fun, I enjoyed it. Invasion started out rough, but by the end of the season was pretty damn good, and I really wanted it to get renewed for a season two. The first season of Heroes was AMAZING and season 2 was all over the place but its high points were really great, season three was another mess and by then i didn't even bother to watch season 4. I dunno what happened

I never saw Jericho at all, but I heard good things

Sure it is, many 'others' see it too. It's pretty obvious, actually.

Alex

only to you. it's nothing like Lost.

I saw the first three episodes and it didn't remind of Lost at all.

Lost's narrative (or non-narrative, sometimes) style gave information, as we say over here, with and eye-dropper. Along with a plethora of extraneous elements that were or weren't picked up later, and non-chronological revisionism of the same events over and over. What I saw of The Walking Dead was much more straightforward, "introduction-problem-adventure" than Lost.

One is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma while the other is a tale of survival against all odd.

There was a mythology ongoing in Lost, there is a methodiology ongoing in the Walking Dead.

only to you.

No, Joey, I said "many others". As with everything, I guess there are also many others who aren't able to see it.

Did you just saw the first episode? Because that might be what's giving you that impression.

Did you just saw the first episode? Because that might be what's giving you that impression.

Didn't I just say I saw the whole goddamn season? It was only after a while when I began to see the similarities. That's when the deja vu kicked in and when it became more difficult for me to watch this show. The feeling that I got from it was more or less the same.

Wasn't the season 1 finale the same as LOSTs? That's the only similarity I've heard of.

The season 1 finale of The Walking Dead was nothing like the season 1 finale of Lost, other than a rough similarity of finding a dude living underground / in a quarantined building on his own for a while (though we didn't actually see that guy until the season 2 opener of LOST, not the season 1 finale)

You got farther than I did.

I bought the blu-ray so I felt I had no other choice. I liked the big finale though. So, in a way, you could say I liked the bookends of the show. Anyway, I heard the second season is even worse.

you hear wrong.

now if you said it was more like Mad Men I agree, as Walking Dead is in essence a soap opera, the difference between it and Man Men is the # of cigarettes smoked per episode. Oh and that zombie esque characters in Man Men are better dressed.

Lee, so the first episode is the goriest? or does it get worse. That's what was hard for me to stomach. but it was a good episode all the same, much like the stand......

Ren, the first episode of this season was by far the goriest, ep. 2 was less so, and only minimal in ep. 3.

thank god, i was eating dinner - almost lost it. i appreciate the good quality of the potential story but sheesh

Ren, two weeks ago Dave walked in while I was watching this horror/slasher film called Hatchet. He walked in on the goriest part, and then he ran out. I don't know what was more awesome, him running out or the killer and his latest kill.

Lol, TWD is VERY gory in intervals though, Joey. If anything I'd say it gets worse (better) the further in it gets! The best zombies I've ever seen. Ren, normally Claire doesn't watch horror/violent stuff, but I coaxed (read: forced) her into catching me up in time for season 3 because I had a feeling she'd actually appreciate and enjoy the characters and situations if she could get past the gore aspect. She did the first two seasons in two weeks on the iPad, and yep - she's hooked.

The Walking Dead has probably become the best cliffhanger adventure tv series I've ever seen, the perfect formulaic counterbalance to the more sophisticated and mature fair which can be a bit heavy when some nights you just want your thrill muscles stimulated. Joey's Mad Men comparisons, whilst genuinely amusing, don't really hold up. That show is as refined, intelligent and focused as they come; The Walking Dead by stark contrast harks straight back to the old Movie of the Week heyday, hence its broad mainstream appeal. The perfect escapism antidote.

sorry quint but mad men is not refined or intelligent, it's as base as it gets, everybody is a whore or slut, men included, everybody is f-ing everybody, it's pure daytime drama for the evening, and the sheer amount of cigarette smoking detracts from any refinement, The clothing is nicely pampered and the decor is as horrible as I remember. How did people sit so low back then?

I wasn't talking about the characters. There's a lot of content in Mad Men which doesn't appeal to the more literal thinker, perhaps. Its style and execution is anything but "base". I could turn the volume down and still feel like I'm being massaged.

I was amused by a review of the show that referred to the ancillary characters as worker bees where I had used the term zombies. I have no adult recollections of the 60's but I remember enought that from a technical stand point the show seems accurate. The credits are nice, in an age where the credits of a show are often pushed aside.

I wasn't talking about the characters. There's a lot of content in Mad Men which doesn't appeal to the more literal thinker, perhaps. Its style and execution is anything but "base". I could turn the volume down and still feel like I'm being massaged.

Sounds more like cheap handjob then a massage!

It's just a glossy soap opera.

I managed to get through the first season last month. Some of it is really cool, but it seems have more style than substance. I remember finding it hard to get through it all. And glossy soap opera is definitely an apt way to put it.

Walking Dead is solid entertainment but I don't particularly love it (and there are some aspects of it I just dislike). The new season seems to be off on a better start than the last (which had a shaky beginning but ended up being stronger than the first one) though.

On the other hand, I really like the direction the new season of Dexter seems to be going in. I'm 4 episodes in and I'm loving it!

sorry quint but mad men is not refined or intelligent,

?

Personally, I can't think of anything that is written more intelligently, refined or mature. Anyone can write for Lost or Lost clones like The Walking Dead . You don't have to have any life experience. It's mainly fantasy and bogus. Every child has that. But you really need to have been a few times around the world before you can create a world like Mad Men or write about its themes. It's not the act of going to bed or smoking cigarettes, it's what they are saying during these acts that is so well written. The writing is the star of Man Men.

CBS's lineup tonight is cancelled thanks to Hurricane Sandy and the havoc it's wreaking on the east coast.

?

Personally, I can't think of anything that is written more intelligently, refined or mature. Anyone can write for Lost or Lost clones like The Walking Dead . You don't have to have any life experience. It's mainly fantasy and bogus. Every child has that.

There goes Alex being his usual ignorant self!

On one hand Alex has a point (for example, you won't find me writing much about romantic relationships) but on the other hand what he is saying shoots itself in the foot. There are fantasies (in the broad sense of the word) that require specific sorts of knowledge or experiences to be written. Or enjoyed.

That said, you're more likely to find me seeing nature documentaries than anything like Mad Men or Boardwalk Empire, probably because of the same reasons: they fit better with my life experience.

Most fantasy and science fiction requires great knowledge, but my point was that LOST is about the characters, and not mainly "fantasy and bogus." Alex is clearly too real and settled in the real world to enjoy such childish creations of the imagination. LOST references and wraps its narrative around tons of literature, film, philosophy and religion.

tonight we're watching Scare Tactics. It's a sometimes funny show, sometimes hit and miss. What is amazing is how much like Lost it is. The similarities are amazing. Sometimes I watch the show and I think this is just like the Walking Dead, except when it's more like Lost. It's best when they scare young black girls or "flaming" gay men. The instant pregnancy and subsequent birth was hysterical.

?

Personally, I can't think of anything that is written more intelligently, refined or mature. Anyone can write for Lost or Lost clones like The Walking Dead . You don't have to have any life experience. It's mainly fantasy and bogus. Every child has that.

You are right, most kids have fantasy, but not Koray. Is that why you find yourself in the editing department? ;)

Alex has a point

Of course, I have a point. With fantasy, you can run your imagination run wild. It's why it's called fantasy. It's free, everything goes, there are no rules. It only needs to conform to an internal logic. If you're going to write for a show like for Mad Men, your fantasy will not get you anywhere. Not only does one need the life experience to write about big and complex themes and emotions, you need a true understanding of them. A lot more research is needed too. Most young writers and that have a bit of imagination can write fantasy and bogus (even George Lucas), but they can't write for Mad Men.

The above-mentioned mostly applies to the viewer as well. Kids enjoy fantasy because it doesn't require the life experience one needs to relate to the themes and subtilities of human behavior in Man Men. I can imagine that, if I were 17 and I would watch Mad Men, I would only see people having boring conversations while smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol.

There's a time for everything. When I was very young, I loved tales about knights, princesses, far and distant worlds, Star Wars, good and evil, Planet Of The Apes and TV policiers. I've been there, I've done that. I'm no longer part of that audience. I moved on. I don't relate to those kind of stories anymore. Today I'm looking for different things and it's exactly what Mad Men is giving me.

Alex

Watched ep 2 of the walking dead last night. Was a bit more tolerable though the gut painting was horrid. I still can't get over the guys wife banging his partner. Makes me upset.

Just look away during the gore, Ren ;)

As for the wife shaggin' his friend, well let's just say the plot thickens...

I'm sure she gets pregnant. Which I'm going to be so jealous of. I want Dominic to have a sibling!

And yes I looked away

Watch something better then.

Season 1 of Doctor Who (2005) is waiting to be discovered by you!

I finished that two weeks ago, and I'm almost done with season/series 2. I wasn't sure if I'd get to like Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor, after faithfully watching Matt Smith's first season and snippets of his next two, as well as scattered episodes of David Tenant in reruns, but I really rather did, and was sad to see him "go" before he could get out "Barcelona." It's rather nice to start this show from the "beginning" inasmuchas Netflix will allow me to.

?

You are right, most kids have fantasy, but not Koray. Is that why you find yourself in the editing department? ;)

Alex has a point

Of course, I have a point. With fantasy, you can run your imagination run wild. It's why it's called fantasy. It's free, everything goes, there are no rules. It only needs to conform to an internal logic. If you're going to write for a show like for Mad Men, your fantasy will not get you anywhere. Not only does one need the life experience to write about big and complex themes and emotions, you need a true understanding of them. A lot more research is needed too. Most young writers and that have a bit of imagination can write fantasy and bogus (even George Lucas), but they can't write for Mad Men.

The above-mentioned mostly applies to the viewer as well. Kids enjoy fantasy because it doesn't require the life experience one needs to relate to the themes and subtilities of human behavior in Man Men. I can imagine that, if I were 17 and I would watch Mad Men, I would only see people having boring conversations while smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol.

There's a time for everything. When I was very young, I loved tales about knights, princesses, far and distant worlds, Star Wars, good and evil, Planet Of The Apes and TV policiers. I've been there, I've done that. I'm no longer part of that audience. I moved on. I don't relate to those kind of stories anymore. Today I'm looking for different things and it's exactly what Mad Men is giving me.

Alex

You again completely disregard LOST as a show of bogus fantasy when it deals with a lot more complicated themes than Mad Men does. Why can't a show combine both elements into a single narrative? Were you one of those viewers that only cared about the hatch in Season 1?

The main writer of Mad Men was 5 when the 60's ended. His main inspiration for the show was BeWitched.

The writers of the show know fantasy as they have credits for the Disney film Enchanted, Star Trek Enterprise, Highlander the Raven, and Desperate Housewives.

?

Alex has a point

Alex

You again completely disregard LOST as a show of bogus fantasy when it deals with a lot more complicated themes than Mad Men does.

Bogus.

You don't need life experience or research to do fantasy. That's my point. Is that so difficult to understand?

And what do you know, Koray? I remember that when you watched Mad Men you were already lost because Don Draper isn't a sympathetic character. You didn't know what to think of the show because of this.

I guess Return of the Jedi so totally raped Alex's childhood that he rejects anything but "real life".