What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

You know how much you enjoyed watching LOST live every week as it was airing? You could catch up on seasons 1-5 now and then watch 6 live next summer and probably really enjoy it. You've never seen the show before, so why buy it; Just rent the blus!

At the end of the day, in this world of heavy sponsor influence, ratings wars and the ever looming axe, you do well to find a show which doesn't rely on cliffhangers. All shows have them at least sometimes, The Sopranos, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead; but Lost just took the fucking piss to the point that they felt glaringly blatant, contrived and frankly, cheap.

Even if something builds up to nothing, Joey, the journey is always the best part of the journey itself. For me, the problem with Lost and the reason why I could no longer watch it was that it's always the same formula, always the same dramatic trick to keep the audience interested. Cliffhanger after cliffhanger after cliffhanger after cliffhanger after cliffhanger after cliffhanger after cliffhanger after ......

The journey of Lost got too repetitive.

Alex

Every single show has a formula.

Definitely not a true statement. Breaking Bad comes first to mind

Even if it is true, it's a cheap statement to make. Not all formulas are the same. Some are obvious while other take a long time to crack or simply don't use obvious tricks. Trying to lump all shows together is nothing more than generalizing without really understanding. With Lost it was always the same obvious trick. 24 is another show that I got tired of because the trick got old. I definitely feel that the shows from HBO get a lot of room for experiment.

Alex

Even if something builds up to nothing, Joey, the journey is always the best part of the journey itself. For me, the problem with Lost and the reason why I could no longer watch it was that it's always the same formula, always the same dramatic trick to keep the audience interested. Cliffhanger after cliffhanger after cliffhanger after cliffhanger after cliffhanger after cliffhanger after cliffhanger after ......

The journey of Lost got too repetitive.

Alex

Every single show has a formula.

Definitely not a true statement. Breaking Bad comes first to mind

Even if it is true, it's a cheap statement to make. Not all formulas are the same. Some are obvious while other take a long time to crack or simply don't use obvious tricks. Trying to lump all shows together is nothing more than generalizing without really understanding. With Lost it was always the same obvious trick. 24 is another show that I got tired of because the trick got old. I definitely feel that the shows from HBO get a lot of room for experiment.

Alex

How is that statement cheap? You can't criticize a show for following a formula when essentially all others do the same. It's a basic observation. Now that you clarified a bit more, you feel that the formula itself was too repetitive, which is fine.

LOST has always been a continuous story. No matter where an episode ends it's going to have some sort of narrative cliffhanger. It just chose to regularly end on dramatic high points, while occasionally opting for the more romantic endings. A device used to keep viewers interested? You bet, and I thought they did a wonderful job of it and effectively worked around the constraints of episodic television and commercial breaks.

Speaking of J.J. Abrams (sort of), I started watching Fringe. I saw an episode or two awhile back, and it oozed mystery of the week, a formula I don't like. The pilot, which is all I've seen thus far, was decent. The dialogue is pretty poor, but not unexpected from Orci and Kurztman. Some of the episode was laughably bad and cliche, but once some information from Abaddon (LOST guy) about "the pattern" kicked in, I was intrigued. It seems like it could have a great overarching story. Jay, does that mystery of the week thing eventually fade out? I seem to recall you saying it did.

Speaking of J.J. Abrams (sort of), I started watching Fringe. I saw an episode or two awhile back, and it oozed mystery of the week, a formula I don't like. The pilot, which is all I've seen thus far, was decent. The dialogue is pretty poor, but not unexpected from Orci and Kurztman. Some of the episode was laughably bad and cliche, but once some information from Abaddon (LOST guy) about "the pattern" kicked in, I was intrigued. It seems like it could have a great overarching story. Jay, does that mystery of the week thing eventually fade out? I seem to recall you saying it did.

Season one is mostly Monster of the Week, with occasional references to the underlying story. Finally at the end of the season they reveal a whole lot of stuff, and soon the shows finds its footing and follows an effective formula of monster of the week while still advancing the season's arcing story and/or developing the characters in great ways. All the best character development happens in season 2 I think. Thinking back on all the seasons, 3 is the peak as far as I'm concerned. In case you didn't know, the current, 5th season is its last, and is only 13 episodes, bringing the final total to exactly 100 episodes.

How is that statement cheap? You can't criticize a show for following a formula when essentially all others do the same.

I already explained it. Lumping every show together, just like that, and without nuancing doesn't really show any understanding from your part. You are basically saying that every show is susceptible to the same critique, while it's not. With shows like Lost or 24, the formula is easily seen. The producers keep it that way to maintain mass appeal. To be honest, I don't see a clear or obvious formula in Boardwalk Empire, Rome or Breaking Bad. I even get the strong feeling they even do their best to avoid that their shows become formulaic.Yes, even if the generalization is true, some are a lot less formulaic than others. I tell you want you did, Koray. You love Lost, so naturally, you want to defend it. And in order to defend it, you tried to wave away the critique by making an easy generalization. The problem is that the generalization only indicates that you are not able to make a distiction.

Alex

Season one is mostly Monster of the Week, with occasional references to the underlying story. Finally at the end of the season they reveal a whole lot of stuff, and soon the shows finds its footing and follows an effective formula of monster of the week while still advancing the season's arcing story and/or developing the characters in great ways. All the best character development happens in season 2 I think. Thinking back on all the seasons, 3 is the peak as far as I'm concerned. In case you didn't know, the current, 5th season is its last, and is only 13 episodes, bringing the final total to exactly 100 episodes.

Hmm, I'll finish Season 1 and decide from there. I mostly just want to have some sort of context for Tilton's music. I don't listen to it as much as I should and I feel like it's because I've never watched the show.

How is that statement cheap? You can't criticize a show for following a formula when essentially all others do the same.

I already explained it. Lumping every show together, just like that, and without nuancing doesn't really show any understanding from your part. You are basically saying that every show is susceptible to the same critique, while it's not. With shows like Lost or 24, the formula is easily seen. The producers keep it that way to maintain mass appeal. To be honest, I don't see a clear or obvious formula in Boardwalk Empire, Rome or Breaking Bad. I even get the strong feeling they even do their best to avoid that their shows become formulaic.Yes, even if the generalization is true, some are a lot less formulaic than others. I tell you want you did, Koray. You love Lost, so naturally, you want to defend it. And in order to defend it, you tried to wave away the critique by making an easy generalization. The problem is that the generalization only indicates that you are not able to make a distiction.

Alex

Just because I love LOST doesn't mean I'm blind to its flaws, there are many. The formula definitely isn't one of them; and like usual you're reading way too much into a simple statement. You criticized the show for having a clear formula. I responded that most shows do. You clarified what your problem with the formula was, and that isn't wasn't the fact that it had a formula that made you dislike the show. I said that's fine. Why do you keep going on about making distinctions? You think I can't tell the difference between Scrubs' formula and Mad Men's?

Koray, I didn't think I would ever agree with you on anything, but having watched season 5, and the first disc of season 6, I have to agree with you that these seasons are just damn awesome.

I think the main problem people have with the later seasons is that they turn into something unexpected, and people were so fixated on the "surviving on the island" plot that they didn't like the cast in a story outside the island.

I've always maintained that viewers just didn't like the real answers versus the ones they conjured up during the earlier seasons. One of the best parts about watching LOST for the first time was truly not knowing where it was going, and the tiniest bit of mythology would send your imagination wild.

I believe Corrie is the world's longest running soap. Set in a fictional part of Manchester, it was at one time compulsory viewing for Brits, and genuinely very watchable, but nowadays I don't even know who's in it and what time it's on.

Okay, after watching the season finale of Major Crimes -- I confess I'm falling in love with procedurals. (Just this show and Castle.) The other procedurals like NCIS, Law & Order, The Mentalist, Body of Proof, Rizzoli and Isles, and Perception are just hit or miss.

Granted, they're a dime a dozen, but they can be fun if they're done right.

Major Crimes, Castle, the Mentalist, and Perception are my GFs favorite shows, but man I just can't get into them.

I want to get into Castle because it's the only way to watch Fillion on current TV, but I haven't worked it into my schedule. I just watched Eccleston turn into Tennant so I've got a few years left to catch up.

I caught some of Castle she was watching the other day and mannnnnnnnn has Fillion gotten FAT since Firefly!

He's back on Earth and doesn't have to run anymore. The eatin's a lot better. If all I had to look forward to was the Shepherd's cooking and Jayne's weekly treachery, I'd be skinny too.

Alias always ended with a cliffhanger as well, at least for the first season and a half

Yes, but they unlike Lost (and later Alias seasons) where the cliffhanger was tacked on to the end of the episode's story arc, the first season and a half of Alias actually ended an episode in the middle of the story and picked it up right there in the next one. Sydney would finish a mission during the first part of an episode and begin the next one but not finish that until the next episode. There was no real beginning or end, which allowed the ending cliffhangers to be the natural highlights of a mission.

I caught some of Castle she was watching the other day and mannnnnnnnn has Fillion gotten FAT since Firefly!

He is not fat. He's little fuller, but he's not chubby. But he did look better in Firefly and Serenity.

• 2 weeks later...

American Horror Story Asylum is very good.

Love the use of Pino Donaggio's score from Carrie throughout the episode.

An ex-coworker told me to check out that show, as we had similar tastes in TV.

I attempted to watch it online once but accidentally started the most recent episode rather than what I thought was the Pilot. I was so confused and baffled that this is how a show started that I never attempted to watch it properly. Told myself I would eventually. It seems like it gets a lot of positive praise, especially considering it's been nominated for Best Drama at the Emmys.

I'm confused though, because it's labelled a miniseries. Aren't miniseries technically a single string of episodes? AHS is its second "season," though I do realize it's labelled with Asylum. Perhaps each season has entirely new characters within the same universe? That'd be interesting.

Asylum features many of the same actors but it's a completely new story in a different place and time. It's demented as hell. This season is inspired by Brian DePalma, especially Carrie and Dressed to Kill.

I just saw the first episode of the walking dead

Brilliant series. Season 1 had superb highlights, but a very saggy couple of episodes in the middle which really let it down imo. After a rather trashy opener, season 2 settles down into a riveting character drama and by the end I was totally hooked to the show. Some here said it was too soapy for them, but I couldn't disagree more. Mundane real-life issues, dangerous in-fighting and realistic moral dilemmas on a backdrop of desperate human survival and the apocalypse did not remind me much of The Bold and the Beautiful at all. Not all of it was handled with impeccable poise; sometimes character actions would be suspect and would irritate, but the intent was certainly committed and the execution rock solid. Season 2 was better tv than Game of Thrones for me this year. Season 3 is three episodes in and looks to continue the quality of this superb adventure.

They're called "Flesh eaters" in the show, so that's OK in Cremers' book, I guess.

No they're not.

I dunno man...Zombies?

Zombies are no laughing matter, Steef, but I can't recommend the show. Since I bought it on DVD or Blu-ray (I remember it was cheap), I watched the whole goddamn thing. However, you can count me out for the following seasons because the characters and their dialog are boring beyond belief and it's too much of a Lost deja vu.

Zombies are no laughing matter, yet they are no more real than little bears with emotions tattooed onto their bellies, or my little horsies with wings, or vampires that sparkle in the daylight, or six foot tall pizza chomping ass-kicking turtles, all of which can be laughed at. This I don't get.

At any rate, I seem to have lost interest in the third season. I watched the premiere, but disregarded 3x2 and totally forgot about 3x3 last night in favor of a Doctor Who episode.

Zombies are no laughing matter, yet they are no more real than little bears with emotions tattooed onto their bellies, or my little horsies with wings, or vampires that sparkle in the daylight, or six foot tall pizza chomping ass-kicking turtles, all of which can be laughed at. This I don't get.

Me neither...

I dunno man...Zombies?

Zombies are no laughing matter, Steef, but I can't recommend the show. Since I bought it on DVD or Blu-ray (I remember it was cheap), I watched the whole goddamn thing. However, you can count me out for the following seasons because the characters and their dialog are boring beyond belief and it's too much of a Lost deja vu.

It's nothing like Lost at all.

This season has started out very strong. Last nights episode when all Andrea and the black Chick. We met the Govenor who is some serious nice on the outside, not so nice on the inside.

I've only seen the first season of The Walking Dead, but LOST is the last show I'd compare it to, other than the broad similarity of it being about people having to bond together to survive, which was really only what the first season of LOST was about anyway

LOST did inspire many clones after its breakout success, like Invasion, Surface, and to an extent Heroes