Star Trek Into Darkness (The Big Bad Star Trek (X)II Thread)

John Crichton

Unless we've been spared of everything substantial so far this looks spectacularly dull.

+1

I'm rooting for Elysium and Man of Steel instead.

+1

I'm hoping that Abram and Gia will have listened to the criticism over the things they did wrong the first time around and will make improvements.

So after ALL the hype about Cumberbatch's acting, it looks like he is pulling the same manner of speech and acting as "Hijacked Julian Bashir" from DS9's season 1 "The Passenger."

Also: nice nod to Blade Runner around 20 seconds in. ;)

The random shot of lingerie Alice Eve is awkward. I want to bury my hand in my face awkward.

So after ALL the hype about Cumberbatch's acting, it looks like he is pulling the same manner of speech and acting as "Hijacked Julian Bashir" from DS9's season 1 "The Passenger."

Now that you mention it.

Trailer seems fine, THE big special effects pic of the summer.

It does NOT feel like Star Trek though.

Why do I get the feeling they have mad "The Dark Knight in the 23th Century" (with elements of Skyfall).

A homicidal maniac is bent on revenge and destruction, the hero has some sort of personal axe to grind, the homicidal maniac was once part of the organisation he is trying to destroy.

Yes I know one could say it is another redo of Khan, but it doesn't feel it....

The fact that it seems to take place mostly on earth, or around it should not be a problem (even DS9 had whole episodes on Earth), but still.....

I've seen movies 1-6,8,9,11, and maybe 3 seasons of TNG, 2 1/2 seasons of DS9, 1 season on Voyager, and all of Enterprise. Never seen TOS

I'm hoping that Abram and Gia will have listened to the criticism over the things they did wrong the first time around and will make improvements.

i doubt it.

a good director should always review his work and try to improve.

just little things, like plot holes, about 200 less lens flares, a quality score this time around worthy of Horner and Goldsmith!!!

Re: Trailer not feeling Star Trek

Remember, advertising a true Star Trek movie is financial suicide.

So who knows how Star Trek the actual movie feels.

The trailer already has lens flares!

Re: Trailer not feeling Star Trek

Remember, advertising a true Star Trek movie is financial suicide.

That is true. So I am reserving judgement.

It's just that the trailer really isn't getting me exited. The trailer for star Trek (2009) did.

well there is no emotional attachment to this turkey legged ship.

btw remember in ST 2009 how it only took seconds to get to Vulcan but coming back it took a long time, why was that?

It didn't take seconds to get to Vulcan. It simply didn't show how long it took. Remember, Kirk got knocked out, and we he wakes up it doesn't show how long he was knocked out for. Could have been minutes, or hours, or days.

I do hope engineering isn't a milk plant this time around.

well there is no emotional attachment to this turkey legged ship.

I still remember the first time I saw Search For Spock on TV. Even though I had not seen TOS at that time, I did feel the enormity of the Enterprise being destroyed. Ans at the end of The Voyage Home, when they get their new ship, it's a genuine goosebump moment (only the only scene in the film were the score works)

Seeing the D crash like that in Generations was like seeing an old friend die....

agreed.

I like the 2009 ship, it's good in it's own way but past creators of the Enterprise purposely chose NOT to do what the 2009 filmmakers did.

The random shot of lingerie Alice Eve is awkward. I want to bury my hand in my face awkward.

I'd rather bury something else somewhere else, but that might just be me.

agreed.

I like the 2009 ship, it's good in it's own way but past creators of the Enterprise purposely chose NOT to do what the 2009 filmmakers did.

The Enterprise in TMP looked majestic, stately...beautiful.

The 2009 one with it's oversized nacelles, It's just not as gorgeous.

I wonder how Jason would view ST 2009 and 2013 if he were a fan of Star Trek.

Why would anyone complain about this?

aliceevestid.png

.There's no context enough to make it not look odd.

Specially in the middle of a trailer concentrated on explosions, chases and cheesy lines.

Do people in the Star Trek world still have nudity taboos, by the way?

That shot does proof that at least J.J. is honouring TOS's traditions of featuring women in sexy clothes and scenario's. Something TNG from the politically correct 80's did far too few times. (Thank God for Troi's tight fitting uniform...)

she is pretty there, or pretty sexy there.

She could do what she wants with me.....

Jason, maybe it's because Alice Eve's poise and expression seem to say literally nothing. It's like Abrams told her, "Your motivation for this scene is that we need to have a piece of meat in the trailer, so just stand there and look pretty for a second. Cut. That's a wrap for today. Tomorrow we'll do the dubbing sessions and get in a line about 'outnumbered, outmanned and outgunned.' "

Just a comment on the trailer, of course. I remain hopeful that all this stuff won't seem terrible in the context of the film.

Wow! This and Iron Man 3 sure look bloody awful. From the latest trailers, at least.

Karol

Iron Man looks better though. It still has the cliched villain quotes in it anyway.

Yeah, but if all films are supposed to be like that now, I almost regret The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises were ever made...

Not so subtle references to what everyday news. Not sure Star Trek can handle it. Or should, for that matter. It's worrying, actually.

What happened to s-f and exploring the unknown?

Karol