Interstellar (2014 film directed by Christopher Nolan)

JoeinAR

Nolan? Sterile? Listen to the score accentuating and exaggerating every scene or moment in his films ... Even Spielberg would find that too much.

Yes, his films are oddly cold and asexual, very aspie. Sentimental at times too, but that's no substitute for genuine warmth, humanism and sensuality.

But he's trying so hard ... I gave you several examples to illustrate that, didn't I? I'm still waiting for someone to tell me WHY exactly you think his movies are sterile.

Alex

I think Inception and the Batman films are far from sterile, with quite a bit of heart coursing under the surface. The Prestige too, to a slightly lesser degree. Following, Memento, and Insomnia are colder, but that's the nature of those stories I think rather than some fault in direction.

Going by what I know, Interstellar will be his most explicitly emotional film yet. It's in the same realm as A.I. now that I think about it.

Sterile and cold probably aren't the best adjectives to describe Nolan films, although I can see why people might attribute those facets, or qualities to them.

With Nolan I always have an odd feeling that his aesthetic is rather... detached. His style is very dispassionate. Indeed, deeply impersonal is ultimately how I think of Nolan's work.

I'm not really all that enthusiastic about him.

Nolan movies are considered as cosmopolitan. They're so popular because everything is eloquently pieced together and it works exactly as it is expected to, all wrapped in a veneer of a shallow-sofisticate's idea of class and cool.

He's the filmmakers version of an iPhone.

Nolan? Sterile? Listen to the score accentuating and exaggerating every scene or moment in his films ... Even Spielberg would find that too much.

Yes, his films are oddly cold and asexual, very aspie. Sentimental at times too, but that's no substitute for genuine warmth, humanism and sensuality.

But he's trying so hard ... I gave you several examples to illustrate that, didn't I? I'm still waiting for someone to tell me WHY exactly you think his movies are sterile.

It's the way he directs. There's something clinical and Fincherian about it.

Basically, what Quint said.

Not a romance that ends happily.

In that regards you have to give a lot of credit to Spielberg. He's got a far bigger range. The current crop of famous directors don't seem willing to risk stepping outside their comfort zone.

That's not what I said. that's not what Lee said.

You insinuated that directors who don't willingly step out of their 'comfort zone' don't have range. Genre is a categorizing system. Simply because Nolan or Fincher or whoever we're even talking about doesn't go "I'm gonna direct a romance, then a comedy, then a Christmas movie with Ben Affleck..." doesn't mean anything other than that's something they're not interested in.

I admittedly make certain emotional associations with it, but that's the point I think. Starting with The Prestige, the core ideas of Nolan's films have all had uncanny significance to my life at those moments.

Nolan has millions of fans. He's bigger than Spielberg or any other director. I can't image they love him for his cold, sterile, asexual, heartless and soulless movies. If you ask me, the way how someone perceives Nolan's movies is based on one's personal translation. Heck, isn't that always the case when dealing with art?

Nah, Nolan's main appeal with broad audiences is much more straightforward than any of that: he makes casuals feel smart and sophisticated. It's as simple as that.

Chavs walk out of Batman feeling like their intelligence has been paid a compliment. People love to buy into that shit.

Lee - doesn't think Nolan movies are particularly deep enough to be considered authentically sophisticated. It's all glossy surface.

It's hard for me to say something about Inception because I really, really, really don't like that film, but surely one can see the Batman movies as huge moral tales?

I've never seen the depth, and the life-lessons people tell me are in Inception. "Food for thought" a friend told me.

Really?

There's an intrusive abundance of dialogue and explanation which destroys any chance of "food for thought". If Nolan hadn't been so obsessed with spelling it all out I should imagine I'd think differently about Inception. Nolan doesn't shut up long enough to encourage abstract thought and deeper meaning.

Nah, Nolan's main appeal with broad audiences is much more straightforward than any of that: he makes casuals feel smart and sophisticated. It's as simple as that.

Chavs walk out of Batman feeling like their intelligence has been paid a compliment. People love to buy into that shit.

Lee - doesn't think Nolan movies are particularly deep enough to be considered authentically sophisticated. It's all glossy surface.

Apparently he also provides opportunities for detractors to feel smart and sophisticated whilst critiquing him. ;)

Well, I do agree with the last argument of Quint (Nolan doesn't shut up long enough).

I really enjoy Inceptions as The Matrix versus "any heist movie". But its 100% style over substance.

Strange, because I love The Matrix Part Un.

Alex

There's an intrusive abundance of dialogue and explanation which destroys any chance of "food for thought". If Nolan hadn't been so obsessed with spelling it all out I should imagine I'd think differently about Inception. Nolan doesn't shut up long enough to encourage abstract thought and deeper meaning.

THIS!

On that level INCEPTION has the feel of an auteur constantly telling you how clever he is, how long he spend setting up the plot, how he wants people to be swayed. Nolan wants us to admire his efforts rather then his end result.

Nolan has millions of fans. He's bigger than Spielberg or any other director. I can't image they love him for his cold, sterile, asexual, heartless and soulless movies.

They love him for his 'big ideas', glorified mind fucks games, an ensemble cast, HZ's latest awesome score, slick style, precise direction, and most importantly - herd mentality. These films are hyped to ridiculous proportions by marketing and the media class, and fans want to be part of the gang. It's a self-fulfilling cycle.

There are attempts at pathos in Nolan's films, I never denied that. I just don't think it's a) the main reason people watch his films and b) one of his strengths.

No love for Memento? It's still his best film.

INSOMNIA is, but that's mainly due to Pacino and Williams, and the fact that the narrative wasn't of Nolan's creation.

As long as we're not applying the herd-mentality idea to everyone who enjoy his films, sure. That is present everywhere to some degree. But it shouldn't make the thing in question totally irredeemable, or give the idea that none can enjoy it without being chavs.

Let's not fall into the "Popular ergo crap" mindset.

Nolan has millions of fans. He's bigger than Spielberg or any other director. I can't image they love him for his cold, sterile, asexual, heartless and soulless movies.

They love him for his 'big ideas', glorified mind fucks games, an ensemble cast, HZ's latest awesome score, slick style, precise direction, and most importantly - herd mentality. These films are hyped to ridiculous proportions by marketing and the media class, and fans want to be part of the gang. It's a self-fulfilling cycle.

There are attempts at pathos in Nolan's films, I never denied that. I just don't think it's a) the main reason people watch his films and b) one of his strengths.

I do recognize some of the things you are saying here. Could it be also, and I'm putting it really simple, that there is so much story crammed into 120 minutes of playtime, that people feel they have witnessed something that's too much to digest in one time and that they need more viewings to order things? Just a week ago, I noticed whilst watching Batman Begins for the third time, how fresh it still was (because my mind didn't yet order all the scenes and dialog).

Alex

Aye. While ultimately the last word will and should always be what Alex said about the complete subjectivity of art, it's obviously worth trying to understand why we all feel what we feel.

I agree with that. It's okay for people to like 2001: A Space Odyssey AND Inception.

Earlier was just a response to the broad appeal question.

I agree with that. It's okay for people to like 2001: A Space Odyssey AND Inception.

Inception = Double Whopper with cheese and bacon, milkshake and fries

2001: A Space Odyssey = culinary perfection by a Chef on the top of his game.

I can enjoy both