Interstellar (2014 film directed by Christopher Nolan)

JoeinAR

I take it you're not a big fan of Kaminski either?

Kaminski has only three styles. Gritty/desaturated (Minority Report, War of the Worlds), less gritty/desaturated (KOTCS, Lincoln), and copying other cinematographer's styles (War Horse).

Spielberg needs to change his crew personnel. Keep Kahn and JW, but he needs to ditch Kaminski. I hear Dean Cundey is available...

I was really looking forward to seeing what Spielberg would do with Interstellar (and what we'd hear from Williams), but I suppose it was too good to be true...

I haven't seen a decently shot Spielberg film in some time.

Tintin!

That technically doesn't count. It's an animated movie... all the lighting, shadows and cinematic 'look' were done by WETA animators and approved by Spielberg. I think Kaminski served as lighting consultant for the mo-cap stuff, but I didn't see his name anywhere in the credits.

I still need to see Inception

Any good?

I love watching that movie even tohugh it doesn't have much sense even after 3rd viewing.

I take it you're not a big fan of Kaminski either?

Kaminski has only three styles. Gritty/desaturated (Minority Report, War of the Worlds), less gritty/desaturated (KOTCS, Lincoln), and copying other cinematographer's styles (War Horse).

Spielberg needs to change his crew personnel. Keep Kahn and JW, but he needs to ditch Kaminski. I hear Dean Cundey is available...

Although Kaminski isn't my favourite cinematographer in the world, that's preety unfair assesment as far as i am concerned. He has a very dinstinct style and he can adjust it to the context of the movie or each scene. Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Amistad, A.I., Catch Me If You Can, Terminal, Munich, War Horse and The Diving Bell and The Butterfly serve as examples how stellar his work can be. What most criticize him for, desaturation, monochromatic palettes etc., is basically what Spielberg wants, what he agrees on. Check out how other (non-Spielberg) Kaminski's movie look like...

Funny People (dir. J. Apatow):

Hania (dir. J. Kaminski)

Jerry Maguire (dir. C. Crowe):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKoKYk4jC84

For me, repeated viewings clarified a lot of stuff. All the things I thought were random, actually fell into place.

I watched a lot of parodies and read some articles that tried to point out those flaws, inconsistencies and plot-holes, but, to be honest, none of them really convince me and everything is clearly explained in the film (over-explained even). Especially dealing with these kind of subjects, being "logical" will always depend on each viewer's perspective. Especially in Nolan's films, that are very much about perception itself.

I can see why some people hate it, though. And the previous paragraph in a way encapsulates that. You're going to either buy it or you won't.

It's not exactly a brainy type of s-f and it doesn't try to aspire to be one and I think people overreact on both sides. It's a big Bond-like, Mission: Impossible-like film mixed with some Nolan stylistics (from his non-Batman films). It's nothing greatly meaningful or uber-intelligent. Ultimately a fun flick that for some reason many people think is really serious.

Karol

I haven't seen a decently shot Spielberg film in some time.

Mark, have you seen Tintin, War Horse, or Lincoln? I thought all three were very visually appealing

Tintin was beautiful, bright, sweeping.

War Horse has many gorgeous shots of hillsides and landscapes, wonderful cinematography

Lincoln had many exquisitely shot indoor scenes, with light coming in a window being filtered through smoke, looked great

I still need to see Inception

Any good?

it's not very good, stupid plot, Leo over acting. but it's visually striking and best when it imitates James Bond. it's worth a look. You might like it better than I.

after doing a bit of research last night I found that while Spielberg is often cited as a director of visual effects films, his movies often have fewer shots than most people realize. Nolan's Batman movies all have more effects than any SS film.

after doing a bit of research last night I found that while Spielberg is often cited as a director of visual effects films, his movies often have fewer shots than most people realize. Nolan's Batman movies all have more effects than any SS film.

Well, Speilberg hasn't done that many big movies like this in the past 7 years so its understandable. Times change and the fact that Nolan tries to do as much as he can practically should be applauded rather than simply stating some arbitrary figure that doesn't have much resonance. If Speilberg's work on Indy is any indication, I doubt he wouldn't use the same amount, if not more, CGI than Nolan on the Batman films.

As for Interstellar, I'm still very interested in the project as I'm a sucker for sci-fi like this. What I'm more concerned about is the cinematography, as I doubt Pffister is coming back considering he wants to be a director now. I wonder whom Nolan would get. Someone like Dean Cundey would be great, but he seems to have gotten away from big films such as this.

As for Interstellar, I'm still very interested in the project as I'm a sucker for sci-fi like this. What I'm more concerned about is the cinematography, as I doubt Pffister is coming back considering he wants to be a director now. I wonder whom Nolan would get. Someone like Dean Cundey would be great, but he seems to have gotten away from big films such as this.

I'm pretty sure Nolan will go with a cinematographer who prefers to shoot film and/or has experience shooting in IMAX -- it could range from Daniel Mindel to Ben Seresin. It would be nice if Cundey was offered the gig for Interstellar, he could definitely use the career boost.

And considering that Lee Smith has also signed on to edit Transcendance for Wally Pfister, he'll have to get another editor. But considering Dody Dorn edited Memento and Insomnia for Nolan before he switched to Smith, it makes sense that he'd work with her again.

• 1 month later...

Christopher Nolan's sci-fi movie Interstellar to hit theaters on November 7, 2014

Directed and written by Academy Award-nominee Nolan (Inception, The Dark Knight Rises), Interstellar is based on a script by Jonathan Nolan. The film will be produced by Emma Thomas and Christopher Nolan of Syncopy Films and Obst of Lynda Obst Productions. Kip Thorne will executive produce. The film will depict a heroic interstellar voyage to the furthest reaches of our scientific understanding.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=101294

I wish he went for a different route this time. Obviously, it's not going to happen. And while I think some bits that Zimmer is doing for him are actually quite interesting, it is also overdone and a bit tired at this point.

Karol

• 1 month later...

Anne Hathaway has joined Matthew McConaughey in the film. So Hathaway essentially jumped from one Spielberg film to another (provided Spielberg is exec-producing Interstellar).

And like with The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises, Interstellar will have scenes shot with IMAX cameras.

Very exciting news. It's Nolan's chance to do hard sci-fi for the first time.

Could be ... Or maybe it's another flashy background for another Bond-ish actioner. Villains using wormholes to their benefit for committing crime and escaping justice. Enter Leo ... who's an wormhole expert ...

Hard science fiction doesn't do well with the big audience.

Alex