If you could choose one unreleased track from HP 1

Nemesis

Reunion of Friends is a great listening experience, regardless.

Yep, I agree!

But GOD DAMN that lydian (seventh chord in 6/5 position) statement of Hedwig's Theme at 1:06 in Leaving Hogwart's is sublime, especially with those nervous string passages dancing underneath. EDIT: Am I right in thinking it's a flute doubled with an upper register cor anglais?

Yeah, I think it's flute + English horn (or oboe?).

The lightly dancing strings underneath, as you call it, mimicks the train slowly pulling out of the station, IMO. Yes, this is indeed masterfully done. :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That statement of Hedwig's theme is indeed jaw-droppingly good. As for instrumentation, you're looking at 2 flutes in octaves, 1 oboe doubling the lower flute, 1 English horn doubling an octave below that, 1 Eb clarinet doubling the lower flute, 1 bassoon doubling the English horn, 4 horns doubling the English horn, glockenspiel written in the same octave as the lower flute, synth celeste in octaves, and finally the viola section doubling the English horn with unmeasured tremolos. Oh, and 2 Bb clarinets double the Eb clarinet part, but they're both marked Cue Only - Do NOT Play.

Whew...yessir, John Williams likes his doublings! And those are just the instruments that are playing the actual Hedwig's theme melody...

Wut the fudge... I really can't hear most of that. Which I guess is a testament to Williams' (and the orchestrator's) skill!

And the orchestra's blending prowess of course.

Yeah, neither can I. It's amazing how easily the woodwinds can get lost in Williams' soundscapes - a lot of the time, he'll have pretty much the whole woodwind section playing a run, and then you just barely hear the top of it in the final recording. The rest is just texture. Sometimes he even adds piano, and you can hardly hear that, too. I guess that's all the more reason to add all these instruments together...if their combined effect is this subtle, imagine how easily a smaller number of instruments would be lost!

Basically, a safe assumption when it comes to Williams is that if you hear a woodwind playing, there are probably at least one or two other woodwind instruments doubling or harmonizing with it. Unless it's an outright solo, of course, but Williams has a penchant for doing soli with mixed woodwind colors, too. To keep it in the SS world, take a listen to the beginning of "A Change of Season"* (not the Norbert part of that track, which is a whole different cue). That statement of Harry's theme sounds mostly like English horn, but there's also a single Bb clarinet doubling the English horn to round out the tone just slightly. It's there, but it's hard to hear. And there's harp doubling it, too, but that doesn't blend with the woodwinds, of course.

* Or "Hedwig's Time Transition", for those of you who, like me, prefer using original cue titles when possible.

I love how Williams sometimes starts a melody with a solo instrument, and then in the middle starts adding other instruments, or even changing them! But flawlessly, smoothly, of course.

Doesn't he do that at the beginning of "Across the Stars"?

I also like that woodwind statement of Hedwig's theme, but I actually like the French horn statement of it right after slightly better. I am a sucker for the horn, having played it myself in high school. It's perhaps my favorite instrument in the orchestrator's arsenal (especially if played well).

Not to reopen the Reunion of Friends debate, but I have to add that while the scene in the film may be a bit over the top, the cue is a perfect tribute to what we are supposed to be feeling based on the book. I mean, Hagrid was just in freakin' Azkaban for a couple of months - it's billed as the most miserable place in the wizarding world. And while all the children don't appreciate Hagrid as much as Harry does, Reunion of Friends is a fitting tribute to the Harry-Hagrid friendship that we are all supposed to sympathize with as readers. The other students are a proxy for us. In that respect, the film and the score do kind of work together in the end as a stand-alone scene (the lead-up to that scene is weak, though).

People are just too harsh on the earlier movies. COS was NOT a bad movie. The one that comes closest to being bad is GOF. That thing had some serious issues. The Hagrid scene at the end is cute. I love when Dumbledore cancels the classes and Hermione is distraught. Also, when one of Draco's flunkies gets up to clap and he pulls him back down. Overall, I felt it was a very nice show of respect for Hargid and Harry considering the former had been cleared and the latter once again saved everyone. You're supposed to care about these people. It's not all grim chosen one prophecy, dark lord this and that, muted colors and dark lighting.

I'm not sure what you mean...there's only one statement of Hedwig's theme in "Leaving Hogwarts", and it uses both woodwinds and horn.

It's true that Azkaban is supposed to be really miserable...but we don't know that in COS. And we certainly don't see any evidence - Hagrid comes back the same old friendly half-giant, in good spirits and good health. His return is a good thing, of course, but the way it's presented is beyond ridiculous. What would have happened in real life is this: Hagrid walks in the doors, everyone keeps talking amongst themselves, Hagrid has his little conversation with the kids, Dumbledore says something to the hall to point out that Hagrid is back, there's some polite applause, and then we move on to something that can end the film with some shred of dignity. People don't celebrate like that unless it's something they all really care about together, like winning the house cup in SS. In cases like that, the applause makes sense - but even then, SS didn't end by pulling away from the castle as everyone applauded and applauded and applauded ad nauseum. The film actually got a real ending, one that makes you feel good about having just sat through the whole movie but doesn't overstate the magnitude of the filmmakers' achievement.

Ugh, I'm getting annoyed just thinking about it. :blink:

EDIT: Those moments you mentioned are pretty good, sure, ETAndElliot4Ever. COS is not without its redeeming qualities. But it's still a bad movie. Worse than GOF, which isn't great, but I didn't see any "serious issues" with it. And regarding your last couple of sentences, you're absolutely right. I thought SS (and SS to a lesser extent) did just fine with that, but there was never that oh-my-goodness-it's-so-cutesy-I-want-to-vomit factor.

The ending was fine. What's wrong with clapping at the end? They did it in Star Wars. I like the closing scene of COS with the castle. It's a nice "good prevails over evil" ending. The worst ending is probably POA with the freeze frame of Harry, but then it went along with the zany nature of that one.

With Star Wars, you've got a formal, quasi-military ceremony to recognize the fact that these adults have saved an entire moon from being destroyed, along with all the hundreds or thousands of people who are united to stop the spread of a tyrannical empire. They go up and get their awards and then everyone claps for a moment as the music reaches a triumphant but tasteful climax. Roll credits. And all this comes after a truly groundbreaking, truly fun, truly great film. This ending is convincing, not too cutesy (though a few shots are pushing it), and perhaps most importantly, it's earned, both by the characters' actions and by the quality of the film itself. COS ends with a much more grandiose celebration, shot in a much more grandiose way, with a much more grandiose score, over a much smaller achievement, with a much less mature and alert onscreen audience, in a way that doesn't even remotely resemble what would have happened in real life.

I do agree that the end of POA was kind of a weird moment. Overall, Cuaron's weird style works well for the film, but I find that ending to be a misfire. It's just the very last shot, though. It's not a whole freaking scene.

Well right after the woodwind statement of Hedwig's theme at 1:06, there is a horn statement of the "family" theme at 1:29 and another bigger one at 1:49, which leads into a brief, mostly horn statement of Hedwig's theme at 1:57. That whole section form 1:29 to the end features prominent horn; that's what I was referring to (not just the Hedwig's theme part - sorry for the confusion).

I actually like GOF better than CoS, just because there's more going on. I love CoS but I never realized how slow it is until I tried to show it to a friend who isn't into the series. It was all I could do to keep her from falling asleep. The editing is horrible - it was like the editor couldn't bear to cut a single frame with a close-up of one of the character's faces, even if there was no dialogue. You get a lot of awkward pauses and drawn-out sequences that could have been done a lot faster.

When I watch it by myself, I don't mind so much, but when I'm worried about someone else's impression, I almost wish you had George Lucas with the bullhorn yelling "faster, more intensity!" at the actors. The movie really should have come in under two hours, but it's 2hr 41min! Most of that is Lockhart smiling!

The first two movies are very long and quite faithful to the books.

I like that they're faithful to the books - I just think CoS could have been paced more quickly. They could have retained all the same scenes in half the time.

I haven't seen Chamber of Secrets in years, but it was one of my favorite movie going experiences at the theater.

(Unlike that other sequel earlier that year... *cough*AttackoftheClones*cough*)

If I'm captivated by a film's subject matter, it's technical deficiencies (such as pacing, tracked/retreaded music etc.) usually don't mar my enjoyment too much.

The soundtrack album is, I think perhaps, my favorite of the whole series with Reunion of Friends being probably my favorite track.

To me, friendship is the series' most poignant and important aspect and the finale wonderfully captures that.

Yet again, the variability in different people's reactions to the same piece of entertainment boggles my mind. I had much more fun with AOTC, as deeply flawed as that film is.

As for the music, I'd rather get a Doyle/Hooper snoozefest than a Williams temp track. :blink:

I haven't seen Chamber of Secrets in years, but it was one of my favorite movie going experiences at the theater.

(Unlike that other sequel earlier that year... *cough*AttackoftheClones*cough*)

I liked it a lot, too. Good movie year. Plenty of Spielbergs, including the raped, however still theatrical, E.T.

I enjoy the length of the earlier movies. I feel they're good hang out movies. Where you spend a lot of time with the characters and it's like they become your friends.

I enjoy the length of the earlier movies. I feel they're good hang out movies. Where you spend a lot of time with the characters and it's like they become your friends.

That's exactly how I feel about it personally, but as I said, it's quite boring for people who aren't fans of the books.

Yet again, the variability in different people's reactions to the same piece of entertainment boggles my mind. I had much more fun with AOTC, as deeply flawed as that film is.

Well, I was enjoying Clones just fine up until the meadow picnic scene.

When they started prancing through the field I can remember distinctly thinking "This isn't Star Wars". :blink:

I guess it might of been because I had never really watched a 'tragic love story' before.

Had trouble processing the emotions or something. And although it's a favorite now, Across the Stars contributed to that in no small part.

I had been expecting just another fun movie like the first, which is exactly what I got with Chamber of Secrets.

But I get why precisely that continuity might have made it a disappointment to some, especially those anticipating the soundtrack.

(I didn't really pay attention to film music until Revenge of the Sith.)

Anyway, it's always interesting reminiscing about movie going experiences -- how and why they affected you the way they did.

And how life changes the way you experience them now.

As for the music, I'd rather get a Doyle/Hooper snoozefest than a Williams temp track. :P

Well, being one who rather enjoys what Doyle and Hooper brought to the table I'd still take Chamber of Secrets.

I just watched COS and I realized a lot of the CD tracks aren't the film versions. Prologue, Flying Car, Spiders, Dobby and possibly others are album versions. I want the complete COS slightly more than POA.

I just watched COS and I realized a lot of the CD tracks aren't the film versions. Prologue, Flying Car, Spiders, Dobby and possibly others are album versions. I want the complete COS slightly more than POA.

I want PoA more, but yes, I certainly love CoS too and would want a Complete Edition (unlike some who find CoS absolutely terrible). :)

I also like that woodwind statement of Hedwig's theme, but I actually like the French horn statement of it right after slightly better. I am a sucker for the horn, having played it myself in high school. It's perhaps my favorite instrument in the orchestrator's arsenal (especially if played well).

Yeah, I love the French horn, too. You know, my absolute favorite "horn moment" in PS? (Though it might actually be horn and other brass instruments.)

Harry's Wondrous World, from 1:35-1:45.

Man, that moment rocks! Whenever I listen to this piece and I reach this moment, I have to go back and listen to it again . . . and again. What the woodswinds are doing underneath (almost like setting accents here and there, and then the fancy trill at 1:40) really blows my mind. So audacious, and masterful. Only JW can come up with this kind of orchestration. :)

• 3 weeks later...