Dan Hobgood announces best score of the year!

Hlao-roo

As Dan Hobgood's biggest fan, I must say that I've waited anxiously for this announcement (my very livelihood depends upon it).

Well, guys, stop drooling, here it is:

Signs

Runner-ups: Star Trek: Nemesis, The Sum of All Fears, Windtalkers, The Count of Monte Cristo

Well, gee, guys. I guess I was all wrong about those soundtracks in my signature. What a loser I am. ::sobs::

Moreover, it looks I'll have to relinquish my collection of Ennio Morricone soundtracks. Dan says that Morricone's compositional style is "logically flawed."

:( :( What was supposed to be one the great days of my life has turned decidedly sour. I'll never be able to attain the sophisticated tastes of my idol, the great Dan Hobgood.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but "Signs" is one of the top three scores of the year, and Dan picked a great score to name as the best.

But the best score of the year for me is still "Road to Perdition."

Dan Hobgood is our Messiah.  

It's just a pity he hasn't died for our sins yet.

Hmmm if Dan Hobgood is the Messiah of film music enthusiasts would that make Ford Thaxton their anti-Christ??

Quickly someone run down to Ford's pad in Seattle and pull back the 5 or 6 hairs he still has left on his head and check for a "666" would you?

I actually thought the Signs score was very good. Not the best score this year IMO but up there.

BTW has anyone heard the score to The Count of Monte Cristo that was one of the runner's up? Sounds interesting.

:)  

"Signs" was a good Herrmann ripoff.

Again, Hobgood has reached unsurpassed heights of stupidity

I wouldn't call it a ripoff. It's an homage, as the film is an homage to Spielberg and Hitchcock.

And no, I'm not being dillusional. There is a big difference between ripoff and homage.

So if Dan Hobgood tommorow says John Williams' music is worthless should be close down this site and burn all our JW CDs???  :)

yes, and we should all go out and get a tatoo "Dan Hobgood is God"

BTW has anyone heard the score to The Count of Monte Cristo that was one of the runner's up? Sounds interesting.

i thought all of his choices for runner up were just plain bad choices. i heard Nemesis, i think it's as mediocre as music can get. The Sum of All Fears wasn't bad, but by no means extraordinary. Monte Cristo wasn't a very good score at all, and i don't even want to get into Windtalkers. i serioussly hope this is a joke.

i thought Signs was a very good score, but personally i would have it as one of my runner-ups. as of now, i think the best score of the year is the Two Towers. i personally don't think anything else comes close. i didn't think too highly of the Fellowship of the Ring when i first heard it too. i thought it was ok, and it has since grown on me. i still think it is just a good score, but this score is simply terrific.

Ted

PLEASE, in the future put a warning before posts of this kind, I have to wipe the juice from my keyboard now :)

-Chris

I don't understand.....

What Juice?

Dan who? Who is this absurd silly little man who thinks Nemesis and these other scores are good? Signs being the exception. I did love that motif!!!

What the hell is windtalkers? Is it like that song "The colors of my wind?"

Why isn't Road to Perdition, Minority Report, Harry Potter, or about 10 other incredible scores not up there?

Do people really care what anyone else thinks?

Can't people make up their own minds?

Please explain!!!

I don't understand.....

What Juice?

Dan who? Who is this absurd silly little man who thinks Nemesis and these other scores are good?  Signs being the exception.  I did love that motif!!!

What the hell is windtalkers?  Is it like that song "The colors of my wind?"

Why isn't Road to Perdition, Minority Report, Harry Potter, or about 10 other incredible scores not up there?

Do people really care what anyone else thinks?

Can't people make up their own minds?

Please explain!!!

I second this motion.

If the novelty of mockingly deifying Dan Hobgood has worn out its welcome (and I'm sure it was decidedly juvenile from the start for most of you), then I hope you'll forgive me.

Our friend Mr Hobgood has long been a forthright, outspoken champion of Mr Goldsmith's music (and, more recently, Mr Newton Howard's). Although his clear, articulate writing style may briefly evoke a high degree of scholarship, his admittedly interesting ideas are suffused with unabashedly rigid dogma: in all respects, he's philosophically uncompromising. And his tendentiousness has aroused many a firestorm within even FilmScoreMonthly.com's generally Goldsmith-friendly community.

He declares that every film with a discernable narrative must have music with narrative "unity" or "cohesion." And what is the one way about which a film composer can successfully fulfill Mr Hobgood's vision? With one central melody. A melody that centrally informs every cue -- in fragment or in entirety, but always with sensitive insight into the film's narrative structure and direction. Any reliance upon mood or atmospheric scoring is in all circumstances unfaithful and "illogical," for it supposedly obscures the significance of a particular scene or sequence in the audience's mind. Any employment of multiple melodies or of the evil leitmotif technique will merely overwhelm or further befuddle the audience. No other composer, apparently, has been more preternaturally attuned to the needs of a film's narrative than has Jerry Goldsmith. James Newton Howard appears to be Mr Goldsmith' up-and-coming heir.

Such is my semi-objective summary treatment of Mr Hobgood's "theory." I clearly cannot do it justice in matter of a paragraph, but consider it an appetizer, if you like.

James Newton Howard appears to be Mr Goldsmith' up-and-coming heir.

is it becasue he sounds like Goldsmith or just becasue he likes him. because i think Newton Howard is pretty different than Goldsmith.

Ted

So having more than one theme in a movie befuddles the audience?

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, and extremely insulting to me as a composer, and the inteligence of the audience. Please, what are some of the most successful films and CDs? Williams? HHHmmmmmm, I see those MUST have befuddled the audience so much to become so popular. The audience must be buying them up in order to study them more closely in order to better understand them... Befuddled indeed! I think Mr What-his-face is the befuddled one!

I wouldn't call it a ripoff. It's an homage, as the film is an homage to Spielberg and Hitchcock. And no, I'm not being dillusional. There is a big difference between ripoff and homage.

I agree trumpeteer.

Frosty,it was a score obviously inspired by those old scores. Do you think he would be that stupid to "pretend" its something original that he's just made up?. If he had pretended, then i suppose you could call it a ripoff. But he was paying homage (imo) in those main titles. The rest of the score wins through its sheer simplicity and it reminds me immensly of John Carpenters "The Fog". It fitted the mood of the movie like a glove. Very simple score indeed. But effective. I'm so glad that Signs score won. I found it the most effective score this year along with Elfman's "RED DRAGON" (which you can buy at 'Amazon.com' just incase you were curious Justin LOL )

He-he, more good stuff from Hobgod:

Asserting that Nemesis is many times better than AOTC was my euphemistic way of noting that AOTC is a meandering heap of crap [and it's one of the "better" Star Wars scores(!)].

Asserting that Nemesis is many times better than AOTC was my euphemistic way of noting that AOTC is a meandering heap of crap [and it's one of the "better" Star Wars scores(!)].

Are those his actual words??

This guy just went on my "Shit list". He'd best be friggin aware!!!! :)

yes William they are.

I posted a thread at FSM calling Star Trek Nemesis worst score of 2002.

I did this for several reasons.

1. FSM is the Jerry can do no wrong mb, and I took a moment to tell them what I thought

2. After reading Alan's post about Dan's best of 2002, I felt it was my duty to personally attack one of his favorites. I consider myself the Anti-Dan. Basically I wanted to have fun with the guy. I even made a nasty dig to Jerry, which po'd some people. Again pure fun.

Joe, being a big fat instigator

So having more than one theme in a movie befuddles the audience?

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, and extremely insulting to me as a composer, and the inteligence of the audience.

Precisely what others have been telling Dan. Just ask Thor, if he's around...

Wow. Hobgood is an idiot. It took this to remove me from my slumber. First he says that Nemesis is 20x better than AOTC. Then he says AOTC is one of the better Star Wars scores. Wow. Now, I admit, I like AOTC's score. But to say its one of the better SW scores is a bit of an overstatement. So, appearently Nemesis is more than 20x better than some of the other SW scores, like SW or TESB, or ROTJ, or TPM...Wow. I understand being opinionated, but to state these things as they are fact pure and simple is simply astounding. Does this guy actually hear on the same level as the human ear? Wow. I dont think I can stress that emotion enough...wow.

Wowwed by the wow idiocy wow,

The wow mystical wow yoda wow claus wow

Wow.

Joe, being a big fat instigator

Ahhhh then thou art truly a man of my own heart. :P

Ahhhh how I love going over to the force.net's Fanboy Council (eerrr I mean Jedi Council) forums are posting about my loathing of Lucas' latest cinematic entries to the SW franchise. :|

• 2 years later...

Stefancos-  :mrgreen:

I'd take offense if it weren't for the fact that this individual's pictoral signature indicates he is a complete IDIOT.

DH

If the novelty of mockingly deifying Dan Hobgood has worn out its welcome (and I'm sure it was decidedly juvenile from the start for most of you), then I hope you'll forgive me.

Our friend Mr Hobgood has long been a forthright, outspoken champion of Mr Goldsmith's music (and, more recently, Mr Newton Howard's).  Although his clear, articulate writing style may briefly evoke a high degree of scholarship, his admittedly interesting ideas are suffused with unabashedly rigid dogma: in all respects, he's philosophically uncompromising.  And his tendentiousness has aroused many a firestorm within even FilmScoreMonthly.com's generally Goldsmith-friendly community.

He declares that every film with a discernable narrative must have music with narrative "unity" or "cohesion."  And what is the one way about which a film composer can successfully fulfill Mr Hobgood's vision?  With one central melody.  A melody that centrally informs every cue -- in fragment or in entirety, but always with sensitive insight into the film's narrative structure and direction.  Any reliance upon mood or atmospheric scoring is  in all circumstances unfaithful and "illogical," for it supposedly obscures the significance of a particular scene or sequence in the audience's mind.  Any employment of multiple melodies or of the evil <I>leitmotif</I> technique will merely overwhelm or further befuddle the audience.  No other composer, apparently, has been more preternaturally attuned to the needs of a film's narrative than has Jerry Goldsmith.  James Newton Howard appears to be Mr Goldsmith' up-and-coming heir.

Such is my semi-objective summary treatment of Mr Hobgood's "theory."  I clearly cannot do it justice in matter of a paragraph, but consider it an appetizer, if you like.

This is fairly accurate, but still not entirely correct. Most importantly, I do not claim that a narrative film needs a melody/theme-and-variation score, which isn't true. Many a narrative film do not have one. Instead, what I have discovered is that the score for a narrative film, to complement the film to the fullest extent possible [as is a film score's purpose], should be developed from one central musical gesture.

Furthermore, the type of approach I advocate does not in any way diminish the extent to which a score can create a mood.

Plus, I do not contend that the presence of multiple themes in a score necessarily confuses a listener per se. What I would contend is that a variety of random/unrelated ideas does not help a listener efficiently synthesize the narrative elements in a narrative picture. As I've said before, a fan of non-unified scores for narrative films had best not think about them!

Dan

Mr Hobgood, welcome to this forum.

Now that you are here please familiarize yourself with the Forum Rules:

http://www.jwfan.net/index.php?name=PNphpB...iewtopic&t=1269

Be especially mindfull of the fact that you have already violated the # 1 rule: 01 - Personal attacks or offensive language will not be allowed. Please be RESPECTFUL of one another, allow for differences in opinions, and please don't make anyone feel that they cannot post their views in this forum.

by making the following comment:

I'd take offense if it weren't for the fact that this individual's pictoral signature indicates he is a complete IDIOT.

DH

About this Forums most prolific and not to mention generous poster.

Please observe these few simple Rules so that we can keep this Forum a friendly and civilised place to visit, unlike the FSM forum which seems to feed of negativity.

Kindest regards.

Stefan Cosman.

Rules are only rules if they apply to everyone; to preach about these rules but not obey them is hypocritical.

As it stands, I am merely the most recent poster in this thread to engage in a personal attack. [For goodness' sake, there are posts on this site and even one thread at least devoted to the coming of my death!]

If others here refrain from being hostile, I am happy to do likewise.

DH

I don't think I've ever seen Steef resurrect an incredibly old thread just to write personal attacks, whereas that seems to be precisely what DH has done. . .

I don't think I've ever seen Steef resurrect an incredibly old thread just to write personal attacks, whereas that seems to be precisely what DH has done. . .

I don't know that that's accurate, not that it makes a difference as a matter of fairness.

Dan

Mr Hobgood, welcome to this forum.

Now that you are here please familiarize yourself with the Forum Rules:

http://www.jwfan.net/index.php?name=PNphpB...iewtopic&t=1269

Be especially mindfull of the fact that you have already violated the # 1 rule: 01 - Personal attacks or offensive language will not be allowed. Please be RESPECTFUL of one another, allow for differences in opinions, and please don't make anyone feel that they cannot post their views in this forum.

by making the following comment:

DH

About this Forums most prolific and not to mention generous poster.

Please observe these few simple Rules so that we can keep this Forum a friendly and civilised place to visit, unlike the FSM forum which seems to feed of negativity.

Kindest regards.

Stefan Cosman.

I take it your definition of personal attack wouldn't cover this then:

Stefancos-

Understandably, Dan wasn't a member at the time, but that remark could be construed as an attack on Dan, offensive to the beliefs of Christian members, and indication of exactly the kind of dog-eat-dog spirit you have described as hallmark of the FSM Forum.

Hey Dan! Hope you're well. :mrgreen: