Tribute Film Classics - Adventures of Don Juan

Mark Ford

Check out this video presentation of a rehearsal recording from the upcoming TRIBUTE FILM CLASSICS release of Max Steiner's ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN. The audio quality is wanting owing to the fact that it was recorded on a cell phone in a non-optimal location, but the approach and spirit of the music is all there to give some idea of what to expect from the exciting new recording of this classic film score. [The release date has been pushed back with no target date determined.]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzShDCp8Dos

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At 1:30, I'm almost disappointed that I don't hear the Superman fanfare make an appearance. Guess I'm too used to this in The Goonies. But I'm intrigued that it's been re-recorded.

I believe John Morgan mentioned that Tribute is going to re-do King Kong (1933) sometime soon.

The main reason was to take advantage of the recording technology now, compared to the 90's. Plus it was a good selling title and will probably help Tribute out on the financial side.

I love the Marco Polo release but I think it's mixed too low. I would love to hear a newer version now that they are more polished at doing the recordings.

Whenever Tribute completes the mixing and mastering of Don Juan, they'll be sending me a finished version of the Procession into London so I can re-cut the video to it. They'll also be sending something from the Battle of Neretva. I've heard some of the un-mixed Neretva cues and all I can say is that it's going to be a fantastic release. The brass section has to be one of the largest ever assembled for an orchestral film score recording. The sound is just so rich and overwhelmingly powerful.

Here's a photo of the Moscow Symphony's augmented brass section which was also used for The Naked and the Dead, the other Herrmann recording on the release.

9 horns, 6 trumpets, 6 trombones, 4 tubas - VERY Herrmann!

nakeddead1.jpg

Richard definitely pick up F451 and Mysterious Island if you have the chance. They are amazing CDs.

Battle of Neretva based on the clips Bill posted on YouTube sounds awesome.

"Mysterious Island"? Wasn't that done a few years ago by the RSNO/Debney/McNeely, or something like that? How does this one compare?

I'm with David, MYSTERIOUS ISLAND & FAHRENHEIT 451 are must haves. ISLAND is truly spectacular and 451 is one of the most gorgeous recordings of film music I've ever heard. I have all six Tribute releases, but love these two the most, although that could be because of my love of Herrmann and a milder interest in Steiner and Korngold. I'm not forgetting Herrmann's THE KENTUCKIAN, it's just that it's a more standard sounding score (beautiful as it is) and therefore a less compelling listen for me personally than the other two Herrmanns.

Having never been a big Steiner fan before, but Tribute's SHE really opened my eyes and has changed my thinking a bit. I've always loved DON JUAN though from the Gerhardt recording so I'm eagerly anticipating the upcoming release...not as much as NERETVA though!

Here is the Tribute catalog:

MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (Herrmann)

FAHRENHEIT 451 (Herrmann)

THE KENTUCKIAN (Herrmann)

SHE (STEINER)

CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE (Steiner)

THE PRINCE AND THE PAUPER (Korngold)

Due this Spring:

THE BATTLE OF NERETVA & THE NAKED AND THE DEAD (Herrmann)

ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN & ARSENIC AND OLD LACE (Steiner)

2012:

KING KONG (Steiner) - Indicated as possible by John Morgan

? - Hope it's a Hermann. I'd kill for a re-recording of JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH personally to take advantage of today's recording technology and the superb playing of the Moscow Symphony.

Richard definitely pick up F451 and Mysterious Island if you have the chance. They are amazing CDs.

Battle of Neretva based on the clips Bill posted on YouTube sounds awesome.

"Mysterious Island"? Wasn't that done a few years ago by the RSNO/Debney/McNeely, or something like that? How does this one compare?

No, McNeely recorded Herrmann's 3 Worlds of Gulliver and Debney did The 7th Voyage Of Sinbad. Both for Varese. The original surviving tracks for Mysterious Island were re-issued by Silva.

But... the previous King Kong recording is just fine.

Karol

Se my post (#7) before Mark posted his. It explains why.

? - Hope it's a Hermann. I'd kill for a re-recording of JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH personally to take advantage of today's recording technology and the superb playing of the Moscow Symphony.

I believe John Morgan mentioned he'd like to do On Dangerous Ground. Or it could have been Mr. Stromberg who mentioned it.

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/1965/3-WORLDS-OF-GULLIVER-RERECORDING/

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/3238/THE-7TH-VOYAGE-OF-SINBAD-RERECORDING/

Varese is either way behind updating their website or they have deleted titles, even though they have the rights to them.

RE: KONG re-recording

As Bill Stromberg has said (John too I think), The Moscow Symphony's playing of film music in the past few years has really evolved since their earlier recordings together becoming much more accomplished and more of what they've always wanted to achieve with them. Since Kong is a personal favorite of the Tribute folks, it was a natural for them to want to revisit the score which John has said is just as valid a thing to do in film music as one would do with a classical work which is interepreted and re-interpreted by artists all the time. This goes a long way to giving film music the same legitamacy as other types of music.

Also, licensing is really where they expect to eventually make money in their recordings. With the 80th anniversary of Kong coming up in a couple of years, it opens up the door to possibly licensing the music for a tie in of some sort which will financially help them to continue to record other scores since they are still very much in the red in their endeavors and it is their personal money involved. That's just speculation though on my part.

Those are several reasons to re-record it and I'm sure they have others as well.

I own the Gulliver CD and I think it's great. Quite atypical for Herrmann. :)

Karol

I have the original album/CD and the Varese recording. The original could use a remastering, if possible. It sounds so thin.

ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN & ARSENIC AND OLD LACE (Steiner)

You mean it's coupled with Arsenic? Cute. I've always liked that score, just not enough to consider getting it. Having it as a bonus would certainly be welcome.

It sounds like Mozart. (I only have the suite from Herrmann's Phase 4 recordings)

it was a natural for them to want to revisit the score which John has said is just as valid a thing to do in film music as one would do with a classical work which is interepreted and re-interpreted by artists all the time. This goes a long way to giving film music the same legitamacy as other types of music.

Hear hear!

It sounds like Mozart. (I only have the suite from Herrmann's Phase 4 recordings)

And Haydn too.

Karol

• 1 year later...

RE: KONG re-recording

As Bill Stromberg has said (John too I think), The Moscow Symphony's playing of film music in the past few years has really evolved since their earlier recordings together becoming much more accomplished and more of what they've always wanted to achieve with them. Since Kong is a personal favorite of the Tribute folks, it was a natural for them to want to revisit the score which John has said is just as valid a thing to do in film music as one would do with a classical work which is interepreted and re-interpreted by artists all the time. This goes a long way to giving film music the same legitamacy as other types of music.

Also, licensing is really where they expect to eventually make money in their recordings. With the 80th anniversary of Kong coming up in a couple of years, it opens up the door to possibly licensing the music for a tie in of some sort which will financially help them to continue to record other scores since they are still very much in the red in their endeavors and it is their personal money involved. That's just speculation though on my part.

Those are several reasons to re-record it and I'm sure they have others as well.

Not to resurrect an old thread... but what ever happened to this? Did it fall through, or is it really being worked on still? I would love for them to re-visit Kong again and give it another go! While I do love their first re-recording (and it is THE version of this score I always listen to), I do admit that there are some tracks here and there that do not properly resemble that same kind of "sound" that it had in the film, like different instrument choices and etc. I know they maybe tried to give it a fuller orchestra use in parts, since they could, but in doing so it sounded less like it did in the original film with it's more limited orchestra size.

And isn't the 80th Anniversary next year?