What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Just now, Holko said:

Once I own it for real and like it enough not to put it down, I usually just feel somewhat obligated to explore and experience as much as possible from what it has to offer.

Fair enough as long as you enjoy it for its own sake!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I think Super Mario World is the only game I've 100%ed.  I got that 96 twice!

One of the most fun games to try and 100%, since all that entails is trying to find every level exit, including some that make you feel like you're the first person in the world to find it. 

9 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Fair enough as long as you enjoy it for its own sake!

Naturally the rewarding-factor depends on the game. Half my failed playthroughs of Skyrim failed because I just did every single quest in roughly the same order every time, but I'm playing Witcher 3 now for the second time and every single quest is well-written and adds to the world, it grabs me completely.

The only games I've 100%-ed as far as I can recall (regarding games where such is optional at least) are the Spyro trilogy, Crash 3, Battle for Bikini Bottom and Banjo-Tooie. Otherwise, I'm usually satisfied by the main game and move on. 

I 100%ed Kirby 64 and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, but you kind of have to to unlock the 'true' ending, ya know? So I don't count those.

11 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

The only games I've 100%-ed as far as I can recall (regarding games where such is optional at least) are the Spyro trilogy, Crash 3, Battle for Bikini Bottom and Banjo-Tooie. Otherwise, I'm usually satisfied by the main game and move on. 

I 100%ed Kirby 64 and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, but you kind of have to to unlock the 'true' ending, ya know? So I don't count those.

I think every game in this post is what's called nowadays  "staying on brand". 

I forgot about Pirate's Curse, I agree with you there.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

I 100%ed it without an additional cent and kinda like that it sends you off (on an... odyssey) to explore all those places with their own little stories, but I'm a clinical completionist, so...

I’m an OCD completist as well. It’s why I set out every game to try and 100% the trophies. Ubisoft is typically excellent at making checkbox open world adventures, but something about the gameplay loop of Odyssey really turned me off when I tried to go back to it. I even tried dialing the difficulty down to easy so I could just leisurely explore and breeze through it, but when you’re running into enemies 2 levels above you it’s actually extremely difficult. It’s not a game where you can mainline the story if you want and ignore everything else. It’s designed to make you want to pay real money to get ahead  faster, which is the problem. If you can trudge through that without paying a cent, more power to you. For me, AC should be a 40 hour game, not 100 hours. 

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

You've been talking about Hollow Knight, any other games you excited for,  @Kasey Kockroach?

What abouchu, @Quintus, any games on the horizon that you have on your radar? 

I’ve also recently played Luigi’s Mansion, Pikmin 3, Freedom Planet, revisited Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc, tried to give Mario Sunshine another chance and gave up (least favorite Mario game by far for me), currently playing Hollow Knight, and looking forward to the new Shantae! 

The new Dragon Quest looks lovely...but good heavens, is the music awful. 

7 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Tried to give Mario Sunshine another chance and gave up (least favorite Mario game by far for me),

Too hard?

It was a controversial entry when it came out, people either loved it or they just thought it was meh. Which needless to say isn't ever expected from a Mario title. I've never played it, but I've never thought it looked good.

Well, I "beat" HOLLOW KNIGHT last night!

... by that I mean I defeated Hollow Knight and got a little cutscene and the end credits rolled, but it was definitely a "bad" ending because basically I absorbed the infection and got chained up and became the new vessel

The in-game system that tells you completion percentage says I'm at 87% which is pretty good I think!  Oh, and my time was about 57 hours.

So now I gotta go back in and do what I gotta due to get the "good" endings, plus finish the side quests (I'm still missing one charm notch, one vessel shard, 5 mask shards. 4 charms, and some other stuff).  

But I might play some Shantae first!  Or maybe Mario + Rabbids?

3 hours ago, Jay said:

But I might play some Shantae first!

Shantae is pretty short, but it might be in a similar gameplay style to Hollow Knight if you were wanting to change things up. Pirate's Curse is pretty lighthearted with a great sense of humor, with some weirdly affecting emotional moments. 

Galaxy 2

Galaxy

Sunshine 

Odyssey 

17 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Pikmin 3,

Awesome! I think that might be the best one.

Yea that's why I'm hesitant to go right into Shantae, just cause I don't want to play two Metroidvania's back to back, even if Shantae (I don't know specifically which one you're referring to, but I bought 3 and 4) is supposed to be much shorter.

That's why I think I'm leaning towards Mario + Rabbids next... but I could do Thimbleweed Park, Broken Age, or Grim Fandango...

It's probably a little late for you guys now, but Shadow Complex was a really cool metroidvania game from a few years ago. Not too big, not too small, with a nice balance of exploration and combat. It was one of the first digital console releases I ever purchased, way back on Xbox Live.

13 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It's probably a little late for you guys now, but Shadow Complex was a really cool metroidvania game from a few years ago. Not too big, not too small, with a nice balance of exploration and combat. It was one of the first digital console releases I ever purchased, way back on Xbox Live.

Huh, definitely looks unique from the other games in this ilk.

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea that's why I'm hesitant to go right into Shantae, just cause I don't want to play two Metroidvania's back to back, even if Shantae (I don't know specifically which one you're referring to, but I bought 3 and 4) is supposed to be much shorter.

Pirate's Curse is the third and by FAR best one. 

44 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Galaxy 2

Galaxy

Sunshine 

Odyssey 

Awesome! I think that might be the best one.

2 seems to be everyone's favorite, but I'm glad I played 3 first. I thought at first I'd be overwhelmed by the sort-of time limit (collecting fruit to survive), but I came to find that aspect exciting as I got better at exploring...even if my heart shatters at even one pikmin death. 

My favorite-to-least-favorite-ranking for 3D Marios:

3D World 

Galaxy 2

Galaxy

Sunshine

14 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

2 seems to be everyone's favorite, but I'm glad I played 3 first. I thought at first I'd be overwhelmed by the sort-of time limit (collecting fruit to survive), but I came to find that aspect exciting as I got better at exploring...even if my heart shatters at even one pikmin death. 

You can tell a lot about a man about how they treat their Pikmin.  ...I'm totally gonna change my Tinder profile now to say "Be the person your Pikmin think you are...crazy bitch."

2 is great, and maybe it's my favorite too, but it can definitely drag. Pikmin 3 does this great balance where you're not bound by an external, fixed constraint (time) like 1, but not totally free like 2. Instead, _you_ the player essentially create your own limit by deciding how much food you collect. Wanna barrel through the game? Screw the fruit. Want to really explore the land and discover all there is? Better make sure you get that currency.

Okay, I'll play Hollow Knight for an hour, then I'll go to bed.

-he says this at 10pm....goes to bed at 4am-

I apparently really like this game.

Also, while exploring, I fell into Deepnest. It was a long, mad panic of WHAT THE HECK IS THIS PLACE AND HOW DO I GET OUT OF HERE!?

If you've played this game, you know exactly why this gave me anxiety (the fun kind).

Oh God Deepnest was scary as fuck when I fell into it too! The trek back to retrieve my lost geo after I died was anxiety inducing. Great sound design in there. 

I'm glad I went into this game blind. I had no idea about that area, so falling into it gave me a dang heart attack! I managed to escape without dying, but I came close many times.

Lol Quint, we all just talked about Bloodstained for a while on the last page, where were you then?

Well, geez.  After "beating" HOLLOW KNIGHT last week and then being too busy with too many other things to play any video games this weekend, I finally got into bed last night with my Switch around 10:00 and was gonna play something new.  Mario + Rabbids?  Xenoblade 2?  Shantae 3?

.... I ended up just going back into HOLLOW KNIGHT :P

It was AWESOME, I beat two Dream Warriors (or whatever they're called) I hadn't beaten yet, talked to the Seer and got the Dream Gate, then had the brilliant idea to try to beat that pesky Hive Knight again since I could now plop a gate right outside his boss room and not have to do the awful trek back every time... and it worked!   Took probably 5 tries and I finally beat the bastard.  Funny part was when he died a bunch of bees come out of him, and one of them actually killed me after he died!  So I had to zoom back in to collect my reward when re-awokened.  

So now I have

-1 more charm notch (gotta defeat Grimm)

-1 more vessel shard (platforming challenge in Deepnest)

-1 more pale ore (second Trial in Trial of Fools)

- half dozen or so grubs to free

- and some mask shards

and this is all on top of doing what I gotta do for the "good" endings (which all start with me getting past that pesky Traitor Lord, which I'm hoping some of the above upgrades will help with)

Phew!

I can't imagine getting anywhere close to 100%ing Hollow Knight. I'm just content to explore all I can and tend to come across more relevant/significant objectives by accident! 

I dunno, I wasn't trying to get everything and ended up with 87% when I first rolled credits.  I'd call that "close" to 100%.  I betcha you'll end up in a similar spot

It's really helpful to get the nail upgrades, moreso than anything else I think (other than the permanent upgrades you have to get to beat the game anyway).  The upgraded nails help with exploring a lot to just one-shot common enemies tho

Well, seems like I've seen every area by now. Shame, I wouldn't have minded some more to delve into, but I guess I'm done. Oh well, guess I'll just-

*discovers Ancient Basin and Royal Waterways* 

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE 

Oh great, that means that one NWR host will be talking about it for 26 minutes before too long

I struggled with the Watcher Knights for a while until I finally stumbled on a super easy way to beat them. Let me know if you want me to tell you what it was :)

The chandelier makes it so you have to only fight five instead of six, which definitely helps. Buy for the actual fight, I found a strategy that made it super easy