Song for World Peace

PetePan

This is track 8 on the Call of the Champions CD. What do you think of this peace of music? I didn't know it before, but think it is a very very good song. The climax is so good.

Was it written for an ocassion?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Pete. It was written for BSO conductor Seiji Ozawa and a concert he was conducting in Japan that would be broadcast live, via satellite, around the world. It originally had Japanese lyrics, but those were taken out and the song was retitled (from "Satellite Celebration") to (a more appropriate, considering the time in which it was finally released) "Song for World Peace".

The performance is beautiful and there's so much conviction and devotion in the performance. It's definitely a highlight of that album.

Director - who hopes he was of some help

Thanks,

Do you think that there still is some recording of this song

with the Japanese choir. Not that I speak Japanese, but I would like to hear that.

I agree, "Song for World Peace" is absolutely beautiful, even moreso now in the post-9/11 times we live in. The second half evokes so much hope and ends in a grand tradition of some of Williams' best music ever for "E.T.", "Close Encounters", and "Superman", among others. It reminds us that we really are just one world. Undoubtedly the best cue on "American Journey".

For those who has the Concertworks boot,it contains the original Satellite Celebration with the few Japanese lyrics and the full blown chorus ending.Despite the very poor sound of the recording,that version is FAR superior to "Song for World Peace" arrangement on the Call of the Champion album.

K.M.not putting an IMHO in front of his statement.

• 1 year later...

The performance is beautiful and there's so much conviction and devotion in the performance.  It's definitely a highlight of that album.

I love the track from after the solos. The solos are awfully out of tune I think, especially the leader of the second violins. Nobody is perfect but this really distracts my attention.

For those who has the Concertworks boot,it contains the original Satellite Celebration with the few Japanese lyrics and the  full blown chorus ending.Despite the very poor sound of the recording,that version is FAR superior to "Song for World Peace" arrangement on the Call of the Champion album.

K.M.not putting an IMHO in front of his statement.

I don't have this concert works boot, but I do have a pretty decent recording of the original Satellite Celebration and I agree 100% with K.M. At first, I was disappointed by the new arrangement for the COTC CD because I was so used to the original.