FILM: Star Trek (2009)

Star Trek (2009)

Strange that a film featuring Vulcans the story defies all common logic.

Actually most of the script is stupid, garishly obvious and insulting to ones intelligence.

Getting the crew together like this is no one way even slightly believable, nor credible, nor clever, not ingenious.

There is also very little in the way of subtlety in the writing. I'm not sure if it's possible to write a script using a sledgehammer, but It would not surprise me.

Nevertheless, this film works, completely despite it's script...it does actually work.

JJ has watched Star Wars and Top Gun a bit to often, but puts just enough Star Trek in this film to make it part of it's franchise.

His direction is technically sound (though I'm not convinced he's the genius some people here say he is, a true genius would have cut out that stupid red alien chasing Kirk scene). The lens flares are plenty-full, but they never bothered me. There's a lot of shaky-cam but you can actually follow most of the action, and the movie looks bright, and colourful. Special effects are impressively mounted.

Chris Pike as James T. Kirk avoids imitating Shatner, but does evoke the swagger and confidence the character is famous for. I can see some Tom Cruise in there too, but more likeable.

Zach Quinto is pretty good in capturing Spock's annoyance with human behaviour, much like Nimoy did on TOS. I'm not sure he'll ever have the like-able quality that Nimoy was able to bestow Spock with.

Karl Urban must have seriously studied DeForest Kelly's Doctor McCoy. Imitation is very dangerous for such an iconic character, yet he pulls it off. I totally bought him as Bones.

Eric Bana was good, but very underused as Nero.

Zoe Saldana looks stunning in this film and even though it is completely illogical that Spock should be in love with her...I completely understand.

Leonard Nimoy as Spock, probably for the last time. Looking old, decrepit even, but with a certain gleam in his eye. He has always, and ever shall be....Spock!

The music works very well in the film. I'm no fan of the theme, but the Vulcan music is pretty good, I really dig Gia's big and brassy theme from the Narada and the action music is pretty exciting. I did notice the mix in the film sounded a bit better, more spacious then what was released on CD. The choral music in the last part of the film was a bit much though, and Gia's adaptation of the Courage theme does nothing for me. (probably because the actual theme, outside the immortal fanfare never did much for me)

This COULD have been a 3 star movie, but it has a ridiculous and insulting script.

So I can give it only 2 stars.

BUT.....it gains a star for having Neil S. Bulk in it, so it does have 3 stars.

Very entertaining movie, but I have no idea were it is taking Star Trek....

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Trek (2009)

Actually most of the script is stupid, garishly obvious and insulting to ones intelligence.

Getting the crew together like this is no one way even slightly believable, nor credible, nor clever, not ingenious.

There is also very little in the way of subtlety in the writing. I'm not sure if it's possible to write a script using a sledgehammer, but It would not surprise me.

Nevertheless, this film works, completely despite it's script...it does actually work.

JJ has watched Star Wars and Top Gun a bit to often, but puts just enough Star Trek in this film to make it part of it's franchise.

His direction is technically sound (though I'm not convinced he's the genius some people here say he is, a true genius would have cut out that stupid red alien chasing Kirk scene). The lens flares are plenty-full, but they never bothered me. There's a lot of shaky-cam but you can actually follow most of the action, and the movie looks bright, and colourful. Special effects are impressively mounted.

Chris Pike as James T. Kirk avoids imitating Shatner, but does evoke the swagger and confidence the character is famous for. I can see some Tom Cruise in there too, but more likeable.

Zach Quinto is pretty good in capturing Spock's annoyance with human behaviour, much like Nimoy did on TOS. I'm not sure he'll ever have the like-able quality that Nimoy was able to bestow Spock with.

Karl Urban must have seriously studied DeForest Kelly's Doctor McCoy. Imitation is very dangerous for such an iconic character, yet he pulls it off. I totally bought him as Bones.

Zoe Saldana looks stunning in this film and even though it is completely illogical that Spock should be in love with her...I completely understand.

Leonard Nimoy as Spock, probably for the last time. Looking old, decrepit even, but with a certain gleam in his eye. He has always, and ever shall be....Spock!

The music works very well in the film. I'm no fan of the theme, but the Vulcan music is pretty good, I really dig Gia's big and brassy theme from the Narada and the action music is pretty exciting. I did notice the mix in the film sounded a bit better, more spacious then what was released on CD. The choral music in the last part of the film was a bit much though, and Gia's adaptation of the Courage theme does nothing for me. (probably because the actual theme, outside the immortal fanfare never did much for me)

This COULD have been a 3 star movie, but it has a ridiculous and insulting script.

Star Trek (2009)

Eric Bana was good, but very underused as Nero.

My reply has no point.

I think we enjoy the new Trek film mostly we have some kind of "SW prequels" complex. It's exactly what these films should have been in the first place. And that's what we finally got, but in the wrong series. It's isn't too bright, sure. But at least we care and the movie is fun to watch.

Karol

The script is in places as dumb and complacent as anything in the Prequels.

It still boggles the mind that Spock orders Kirk to be thrown off the ship while he should have thrown him in the brig. It boggles the mind that Kirk just happens to run into Old Spock. It boggles the mind that Kirk and Old Spock just happen to run into Scotty....etc.

BTW, did anyone notice that this films stole their "going into warp" technique from Battlestar Galactica? ;)

It still boggles the mind that Spock orders Kirk to be thrown off the ship while he should have thrown him in the brig. It boggles the mind that Kirk just happens to run into Old Spock. It boggles the mind that Kirk and Old Spock just happen to run into Scotty....etc.

I think their point was that even in this alternate timeline they would have met. It's the will of the Force, you see. ;)

Karol

In BSG (the reboot) whenever a ship goes FTL (father then light) it pretty much just disappears, like all the ships seen here going into warp. Traditionally in Trek the ship accelerates into the distance and there's an explosion to signify that it's gone to warp.

I think their point was that even in this alternate timeline they would have met. It's the will of the Force, you see. ;)

Karol

Nah....

The whole 'it's the timeline trying to reconcile itself' is a ridiculous excuse for a bad plot point. As soon as Spock tried to have Kirk thrown OFF THE SHIP he should have been shut down. Then the whole monster chase is as completely unnecessary as the underwater sequence in TPM. I like the film in general (some of it annoys me a bit, such as the product placement, the Beastie Boys and the 'Hey, just take the ship now as I'm retiring, screw the three years crap!') but man oh man Orci and Kurtzman need some logic lessons.

I'm confused about one thing. Spock and Vulcan develop Red Matter to stop the exploding star from destroying Romulus. They succeeded in developing it, yet the planet is still destroyed. It's not explained what happened. Was Spock too late? Why was he too late?

Because they needed to reboot the series and yet have an actor from the old film series at the same time.

But to answer your question: yes, he was too late. As to why... you've got an answer in the first sentence of this post. ;)

Karol

The whole 'it's the timeline trying to reconcile itself' is a ridiculous excuse for a bad plot point. As soon as Spock tried to have Kirk thrown OFF THE SHIP he should have been shut down. Then the whole monster chase is as completely unnecessary as the underwater sequence in TPM. I like the film in general (some of it annoys me a bit, such as the product placement, the Beastie Boys and the 'Hey, just take the ship now as I'm retiring, screw the three years crap!') but man oh man Orci and Kurtzman need some logic lessons.

Yup! The first film should have ended with Pike being captain and Kirk being First Officer, and then the next movie begins 3 years later. The opening sequence is some crazy elaborate adventure sequence like a Bond film kinda, not related to the rest of the plot, and at the end of it Kirk is giving the captain's position, and the credits roll.

The whole 'it's the timeline trying to reconcile itself' is a ridiculous excuse for a bad plot point.

I can agree with that. Who's to say that Star Trek timelines "know" what is correct.

"Mirror, Mirror" and all of its DS9 spin-offs present one particular alternate alternate universe that is evil with respect to our own. Evil and yet delicious, i.e. Intendant Kira. That alternate timeline never "naturally" attempts to rectify itself.

But then TNG's "Parallels" says there are an infinite number of alternate universes, one for each possible decision each person everywhere, anywhere makes.

Star Trek is universally inconsistent when it comes to time travel and alternate universe changes because it's had hundreds of universally inconsistent writers and proofreaders.

The point remains that until 2009's Star Trek came along, with the cancellation of Enterprise in its 4th, trying-to-get-better season, Star Trek was dead in the water. This movie didn't walk over to your DVD shelf and destroy all of your previous incarnations. It's only better than nothing if you don't let it get to you.

Great observations on Trek, Steef. Your thoughts on it get a big Amen from me. :up:

Oh, and I know he's not always popular around these parts, but Ben Burtt really kicked ass with the sound design on this film. I love the mix of new and retro textures he achieved.

I don't think I'd have wanted Star Wars prequels that resemble Star Trek 2009. People are constantly making that connection and while I can acknowledge the obvious Star Wars influence, it's not what the prequels should have been. They would be cut quicker and have more action, but they would still be dumb movies.

Great observations on Trek, Steef. Your thoughts on it get a big Amen from me. :up:

You are wise...

Oh, and I know he's not always popular around these parts, but Ben Burtt really kicked ass with the sound design on this film. I love the mix of new and retro textures he achieved.

It's an excellent soundmix, and the score can even be heard through it.

I don't think I'd have wanted Star Wars prequels that resemble Star Trek 2009. People are constantly making that connection and while I can acknowledge the obvious Star Wars influence, it's not what the prequels should have been. They would be cut quicker and have more action, but they would still be dumb movies.

I agree, it's really like comparing a hyperdrive with a warpdrive. ;)

• 6 months later...

It isn't unusual for me to first see big films years after they first come out, and today it was to be Star Trek (2009).

Very enjoyable. I agree with Stefan that Karl Urban's portrayal of McCoy was very observant. At the start, Kirk Junior being born 'while' there was a massive battle going on and his father was carrying out an ultimate heroic act, seemed a bit over the top to me and almost evoked the sort of scene you'd find in religious myth.

It also reminded me a bit of that scene in Munich where as the hostages are being gunned down, we have that orgasm scene going on. "New life and continuation springing from death", blah blah. Oh yes, What I did like very much in this movie was that the character of Captain Pike was in it. How awesome was that?

I wasn't too keen on yet 'another' time travel element being part of the story, and having to drag back the original Spock (however nice to see) at some point undermined a movie that was standing on its own two feet pretty well until then. Reverting to that was a sign of some weakness, in my opinion.

Music wise, I found it pretty damn good. Like others though, I found the use of the original 60s theme, even right at the end, really broke the flow.

I'd say the movie had quite a militaristic feel even to starfleet. Recruitment, and a - "Be the best you can be" approach.

Infact, during commercials there was an advert (

) shown for the British Army Infantry. Coincidence? I think not.

One of my favourite bits in the score which stuck in my head, is 0:14-0:31. I've listened to that many times today on YouTube since the movie ended. :D

Now, if I can get those 15 seconds or so looped I'd play it in my car while driving fast across an open landscape, as a camera circles above the car. :drool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPGUYUMzPM8

With that heroic theme 0:38, well I love it.

It aso reminded me of that soaring theme which appears in Last of the Mohicans.