BloodBoal

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't watch 'em right now but the best Rohan statement is the one heard straight after the Nature theme during the Charge of the Rohirrim.

That entire cue is hands down one of the very best of the trilogy.

clearly you have to be some geeky fanboy to participate in this, I'll pass.

clearly you have to be some geeky fanboy to participate in this.

Says the man who discussed for a thousand pages about that Elder Wand thingy, and why it didn't kill Harry, in the Potter thread. :thumbup:

said the person(not sure your sex) with the manga avatar. :thumbup:

The Muster of Rohan wins easily.

Much better buildup, plus the bit underscoring the 'tender' moment sounds better with a heroic, growing feel.

I'd say actually that in the rescore (I assume the film version was a revision) you can sort of tell where Shore has switched modes, and it sticks out a bit.

Sorry Bloodboal, I can't decide. Both have different sections that appeal to me. Master Meriadoc, Swordthain contains the tender middle section with woodwind variation on the Shire/Rohan material which I find to be more in line with the character, a beautiful poignant musical moment. Eowyn's theme (Shieldmaiden of Rohan) bursting out and leading into final gallop is also extremely fitting and heroic.

The Muster of Rohan build-up at the end is even more brassy and heroic than the film version. I actually prefer it.

As with many of the alternate takes the brass led quiet middle section of The Muster of Rohan is a-thematic or hinting whereas the final version is more openly using themes, I guess an influence of the film makers. It is my observation that film composers often seem to fear of being thematic, perhaps fearing to be too obvious. In almost every instance the revision of a cue in LotR has been an improvement, tying more to the thematic structures and being emotionally more direct or clear. I think PJ and the rest of the film makers have to be given credit for good collaboration on this. It is not bad to have a hummable theme, does it? ;)

Sorry Bloodboal, I can't decide.

I'll make it easier for you: choose The Muster Of Rohan, it's the superior cue.

You are not the boss of me! I'll decide to be indecisive if I want to! :pfft:

Sorry Bloodboal, I can't decide.

I'll make it easier for you: choose The Muster Of Rohan, it's the superior cue.

You are not the boss of me! I'll decide to be indecisive if I want to! :pfft:

OK, but now you've got to choose the poll's third option.

Gah! :eh: You and your wily plots Bloodboal! One of these days... one of these days...