Dramatic scores by JW with an exotic flair...

Josh500

Dramatic scores by JW with an exotic flair...  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Out of these, which is your favorite SCORE?

• Far and Away
    • Angela's Ashes
    • Amistad
    • Seven Years in Tibet
    • Empire of the Sun
    • Memoirs of a Geisha
    • Munich
  2. 2. Out of these, which is your favorite MOVIE?

• Far and Away
    • Angela's Ashes
    • Amistad
    • Seven Years in Tibet
    • Empire of the Sun
    • Memoirs of a Geisha
    • Munich

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure about what's so exotic about ANGELA'S ASHES or MUNICH, but I guess what you're aiming for here is some sort of colourization by the folk music traditions and locale the film takes place. As such, you could also have included stuff like the JP movies, SCHINDLER'S LIST, TEMPLE OF DOOM, THE MISSOURI BREAKS, THE REIVERS and so on and so forth.

Anyway, I voted ANGELA'S ASHES as favourite score (Williams in his pastoral mode is my favourite sound of his), and EMPIRE OF THE SUN in the second, a seriously underrated film.

Empire of the Sun on both counts.

I've only seen two movies in that list - Empire and Munich. Not hard for me to choose a favourite between them.

I'm generally not a fan of exotically flavoured scores, at least not where the influence is very heavy. Empire is pretty light on that from what I remember (one of those forgotten scores in my collection), plus the concert suites absolutely rock.

Far and Away on both accounts, but that might not be entirely fair; while largely dramatic,

I still consider it an adventure film with an adventure score, which always tickles my fancy more than straight-out drama stuff.

All of them without exception are among my favorite JW scores. The best movie of the bunch is clearly Empire of the Sun, and my favorite score is probably Seven Years in Tibet, truly one of JW's hidden treasures

I'm not sure about what's so exotic about ANGELA'S ASHES or MUNICH, but I guess what you're aiming for here is some sort of colourization by the folk music traditions and locale the film takes place. As such, you could also have included stuff like the JP movies, SCHINDLER'S LIST, TEMPLE OF DOOM, THE MISSOURI BREAKS, THE REIVERS and so on and so forth.

Well, Angela's Ashes has a strong Irish influence, while Munich has a strong Israeli influence ("A Prayer for Peace," for example). And I didn't include Schindler's List, because that would be the clear winner (for most, anyway) in both categories. TMB and Reivers were too old to be inluded here, and ToD is not exactly a "dramatic" score, in the sense that I mean. That's certainly a blockbuster score.

Anyway, I voted ANGELA'S ASHES as favourite score (Williams in his pastoral mode is my favourite sound of his), and EMPIRE OF THE SUN in the second, a seriously underrated film.

Yes, Empire of the Sun would be my second choice, in the movie category.

Angela's Ashes is a tremendously well-conceived and -written score, however in my opinion Memoirs is even better. More haunting, more poignant, more heartbreaking. "The Chairman's Waltz" has got to be one of JW's most powerful compositions (and the way it is used in the movie is fantastic, as well--on the bridge, when he meets Sayuri for the first time). Oh WOW!!!

Music:

Far and Away (easily the best on this poll, IMO)

Angela's Ashes

Amistad

Memoirs of a Geisha

Empire of the Sun

Seven Years in Tibet

Munich

These are all good scores, though.

I've only seen Empire of the Sun and parts of Far and Away.

Dear God. Watch Memoirs and Munich, at least! Highly recommended. The former for the score, the latter for the movie.

TMB and Reivers were too old to be included here...

Uhh, why?

Uhhh, why what?