The Overregarded and Overrated

Faleel

The Owl movie is for 5-year-olds. People do realize that, right?

I realize that. Hirschfelder's score is damn good, though, although it helps that 2010 was one of the weakest years in the history of film music.

I disagree completely. For me, it was one of the best years for film music in a long time.

Any year that has scores like HTTYD 2, Maleficent, Godzilla, and A Million Ways to Die in the West (a guilty pleasure of sorts for me) in a 2 month span qualifies as good for me. For me, 2012 was a much more lackluster year for film scores.

This year, we've had great scores from: Zimmer, Newton Howard, Giacchino, Desplat, Powell, and a few relative unknowns (whoever did Under The Skin, for example). And more than one entry from most of them.

Before the year is out we'll have another Zimmer, a Shore, and possibly an unexpected Iglesias hit.

2012 was great too. Williams, Silvestri, Horner, Zimmer, Shore, Tykwer/Klimek/Heil, Newman, multiple Desplats, Giacchino, Danna... fucking Whedon! 2012 rocked!

I can do this all night!

Great scores? Really?.... GREAT scores?

Hoe do you define the term?

If I enjoy it, it's great.

Let Me In was like Giacchino arrived and then accidentally slipped and dropped the score pages and collected them back up in the wrong order. I was disappointed to say the least.