The Overregarded and Overrated

Faleel

It's not for everyone in the same way that Tarantino movies aren't for everyone, but I count myself as one of the many admirers of Drive. I didn't hear good things about their follow up re-team effort Only God Forgives.

Nixon - I'm not sure how highly people rate this, but something about it just rubs me wrong. It's personally my least favorite JW score.

Damn, this in my top 10. I love the film too, which helps.

I'm not entirely sure what I was thinking when I wrote this... I meant JFK, not Nixon. Little mental slip there.

Nixon - I'm not sure how highly people rate this, but something about it just rubs me wrong. It's personally my least favorite JW score.

I'm not entirely sure what I was thinking when I wrote this... I meant JFK, not Nixon. Little mental slip there.

Oh right, then I definitely agree with you, both on the score and the film. It's the most overrated of the Stone/Williams collaborations. It's far too fragmented and collage-like for me to work as a standalone listening experience, and I find Arlington pretty overbearing.

It's not for everyone in the same way that Tarantino movies aren't for everyone, but I count myself as one of the many admirers of Drive. I didn't hear good things about their follow up re-team effort Only God Forgives.

I was really impressed with Drive the first time I saw it. Had a friend over the next day to watch it again with and it didn't really hold up too well. Still need to so Only God Forgives.

I never listened to it outside the movie but I really liked the dark '80s synth vibe of Drive. Really, I don't understand why everything has to be orchestral and symphonic in style. I wish film music would be a little more diverse. I'm tired of the sameness. Do you know what I'm saying?

Alex

Perhaps not Hollywood, but JWfan?

Oh bo-hoo! Oh the woe! Oh the tragedy! Oh the surprise!

I never listened to it outside the movie but I really liked the dark '80s synth vibe of Drive. Really, I don't understand why everything has to be orchestral and symphonic in style. I wish film music would be a little more diverse. I'm tired of the sameness. Do you know what I'm saying?

Alex

Be careful Alex. You'll be crucified!

Oh right, then I definitely agree with you, both on the score and the film. It's the most overrated of the Stone/Williams collaborations. It's far too fragmented and collage-like for me to work as a standalone listening experience, and I find Arlington pretty overbearing.

That's pretty much how I feel about JFK. It has a fantastic main theme and some solid musical ideas but they don't come together into one cohesive package like most JW scores do.

I never listened to it outside the movie but I really liked the dark '80s synth vibe of Drive.

I actually agree, if you're talking about Chris Martinez's score (a composer I've always got time for). That said, I hated the songs. A Generation Y hipster's idea of what the 80s sounded like.

Really, I don't understand why everything has to be orchestral and symphonic in style. I wish film music would be a little more diverse. I'm tired of the sameness. Do you know what I'm saying?

Yes, I know what you are saying...

Seriously, though, I understand - there's a lot of darker synth stuff I genuinely enjoy (Clint Mansell is one of my favorite composers) - but Drive just didn't do much for me.

I never listened to it outside the movie but I really liked the dark '80s synth vibe of Drive.

I actually agree, if you're talking about Chris Martinez's score (a composer I've always got time for). That said, I hated the songs. A Generation Y hipster's idea of what the 80s sounded like.

But not enough time to get his name right ;)

But not enough time to get his name right ;)

True. He's good, but not that good.

Really, I don't understand why everything has to be orchestral and symphonic in style. I wish film music would be a little more diverse. I'm tired of the sameness. Do you know what I'm saying?

Yes, I know what you are saying...

Seriously, though, I understand - there's a lot of darker synth stuff I genuinely enjoy (Clint Mansell is one of my favorite composers) - but Drive just didn't do much for me.

I was just relieved it wasn't another typical run-of-the-mill score. These days I have less sympathy for movies that look and sound like every other movie. I was also very relieved to hear the contemporary classical influences in Greenwood's There Will Be Blood. Funnily enough, a few weeks before I saw that film, I remember thinking it's a shame that contemporary music is being kept out of movies. Hearing those Penderecki influences was a pleasant surprise and I appreciate Anderson and Greenwood for taking the risk. A more recent example is Godzilla. The best part of the Godzilla wasn't Desplat, it was Ligeti. Do you know what I'm saying? Even though it felt completely out of place (compared to the rest of the movie, of course), I wanted the whole movie to be more like that.

Alex

It's one of my least favorite Snyder movies along with the owl movie and Sucker Punch. I do think Bats v Supes has a chance of being one of his better ones.

Alex - surprised so many people even refuse to watch Sucker Punch

It's decent in my opinion, I enjoyed it. Not a patch on the original though.

Fuck of! You were drooling over it for months on end. It was embarresing!

Yeah I had a really good time with it at the cinema. It's been ages though, I need to watch it again. I've got the blu-ray here loaned to me by my bro, been meaning to give it another watch to see if it holds up.

The Owl movie is for 5-year-olds. People do realize that, right?

I realize that. Hirschfelder's score is damn good, though, although it helps that 2010 was one of the weakest years in the history of film music.

Was it? Inception, Tron: Legacy, How To Train Your Dragon, The Last Airbender, Let Me In, Edge Of Darkness (which yielded two fine scores), and I'm sure I'm leaving something else out. That's a pretty solid year!

Edge Of Darkness (which yielded two fine scores)

Yeah, I mean Corigliano's was definitely on a whole other level, but I feel people tend to dismiss the merits of Shore's replacement. It's a solid score with a really neat moments.

And take out Let Me In from your list and we're on the same page. :)

Was it? Inception, Tron: Legacy, How To Train Your Dragon, The Last Airbender, Let Me In, Edge Of Darkness (which yielded two fine scores), and I'm sure I'm leaving something else out. That's a pretty solid year!

Of those, the Edge of Darkness scores are the only ones I really enjoyed, although I haven't heard Tron: Legacy or Let Me In, and my opinion of The Last Airbender is probably poisoned by how much I hated the film and enjoy Jeremy Zuckerman's music for the show (you have to love the Old Soul theme). I'd also add Get Low and Mansell's original contributions to Black Swan to the list. I guess in reflection it wasn't really that bad