Williams on DVD

mahler3

This may have been done before, but below is a complete chronological list of all Williams footage/interviews and other content available on DVD which should be of interest to many of you. I may have missed some details, so please advise of any errors, omissions etc.

Fiddler On The Roof - sort of, look to the left of the screen during the ballet shooting sequence and you can catch a glimpse of Williams observing the shooting. (R1 only)

Jaws - Making of interview (3mins approx.) & gallery photos of recording sessions (Williams smoking a cigar is a good one!)

Family Plot - Making of interview (10mins approx.)

Midway - Williams featurette (7mins approx.) & sound featurette (30secs) (R1 only)

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - Making of interview (4mins approx.)

Superman - Making of interviews (parts 1 & 2)(5 mins approx.) & isolated score & alternate music cues (the main title is great as there is a few seconds of studio hustle, with Williams asking someone to close the double doors and asking the LSO to settle down) & Donner/Mankiewicz's commentary praises Williams score on numerous occasions.

Jaws 2 - Williams featurette (5mins approx.)

1941 - Making of interview (7mins approx.) & isolated score (R1 only)

ET - Williams featurette (10mins approx.) & Live at the Shrine (25 mins approx.) & Live score audio option (not isolated alas)

The Witches Of Eastwick - Isolated score

Jurassic Park - Gallery (lovely photo of Williams composing at the piano in his Amblin office).

The Lost World - Making of interview (3mins approx.) & gallery photos of recording session.

Amistad - Making of (15sec shot of the recording session)

Saving Private Ryan - Biography (cast and crew)

The Phantom Menace - Williams featurette (5mins approx.) Making of (recording session footage, some repeated from the featurette) (3mins approx.) & Duel Of The Fates music video.

A.I. - Williams featurette (5mins approx.)

Attack Of The Clones - Love featurette (1min approx.) & Across The Stars music video & DVD-rom content (the latter of which I have yet to access)

Minority Report - Featurette (x2 interviews) (4mins approx.) & biography

In addition to the above, a few audio commentaries that are worth mentioning include Oliver Stone's 'BOT4J', 'JFK' & 'Nixon', he praises Williams often. Alan Parker's commentary on 'Angela's Ashes' also finds Williams being applauded as a genius! Well said!

Finally Randy Newman's 'Pleasantville' commentary features a couple of anecdotes on Williams and also Goldsmith. A very entertaining commentary if you can find a copy on region 1, as unfortunately the region 2 DVD does not have the Newman commentary.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You forgot to mention Jaws 2 which has a documentary about the score. Not much is said though, as Williams doesn't really recall much about the experience. :lsvader:

And the person being asked to close the door on the Superman recording is "Eric", presumably Eric Tomlinson, the man who recorded the score.

Neil

Thanks chaps, I've made the necessary edits.

Don't know why I forgot Jaws 2?! Kind of bizarre as Ricard also forgot about Jaws 2 when he was doing the 'Essesntial Williams' list. Wierd!!!!

Don't know why I forgot Jaws 2?! Kind of bizarre as Ricard also forgot about Jaws 2 when he was doing the 'Essesntial Williams' list. Wierd!!!!

Really? I don't recall that :sleepy:

Ricard - Seriously worried about his increasing loss of memory...

Not really :sleepy:

• 3 weeks later...

Williams music (Somewhere In My Memory from Home Alone) appears on the dvd release of Our Favorite Things. More info here:

http://www.ourfavoritethingssite.com/

Williams is also featured on the recent Johs Groban in Concert cd/dvd

What would be absolutely awesome is if someone actually assembled all of these snippets on a DVD-ROM or VCD or mpeg-file or whatever! What a video compilation that would be. I'll probably pick up a lot of these DVD's individually, though (at least if the film itself is good - I won't buy it just for the Williams material).

Funny that as the technology got better and we saw more of the shark, the films got progressively worse.

Thought the score for Jaws 2 (especially that gorgeous theme at the beginning of the end title) was very fine.

Funny that as the technology got better and we saw more of the shark, the films got progressively worse.

Thought the score for Jaws 2 (especially that gorgeous theme at the beginning of the end title) was very fine.

The shark looked worse too....

I agree about not seeing the shark -- it provided more suspense and drama. This makes me think of two other movies with creatures that aren't see during some or most of the movie. The first movie, Jeepers Creepers, and the second, Signs. In Jeepers Creepers, it thought the movie was more suspenseful when you didn't see the creature, but as soon as the creature was seen and was visibly part of the movie, I thought the movie went downhill from where it was at the beginning. In Signs, a huge suspense and drama is built by not actually seeing what creature is causing the havoc. We can here them and at a couple points see a leg and a brief glimpse of the alien on the home video, but the absence of the aliens visually speaking creates a huge mystery factor and adds dramatically to the movie, much like it did in Jaws.

~Harry