The music of John Williams' grandchildren

Thor

"The (musical) Force is strong in this family"...

Just for curiousity's sake, I thought it would be interesting to share some of the music of JW's grandchildren, who are all coming of age these days.

First out is The Belle Brigade (which we may have done a thread on before), the band of siblings Ethan and Barbara Gruska -- children of Jennifer Williams and Jay Gruska. Their music is a mix of Simon & Garfunkel-type harmonies and a down-to-earth songwriter style.

Here is the uplifting "Losers":

...and the more up-tempo, bluesy "I Didn't Mean it" (which was apparently used in TWILIGHT: BREAKING DAWN):

Then second is Vinyl Williams aka Lionel Williams, who is the son of Mark Williams. This is more in the indie vein with elements of floaty, experimental art rock. Here's "Higher Worlds":

The last Williams name to rise is young Hannah Ruick, the daughter of Joseph Williams. Her style of music is more in line with contemporaty teenage pop (so we're probably not in the target audience). But here's a cute video of her singing the song "Love in Reverse" (video by her father):

You can obiously find more songs of each artist on Youtube, if you're curious.

I already knew of Hannah Ruick. The others are new to me, but of the three of them, and without listening the first two, I can easily imagine myself finding more in touch with The Belle Brigade (going by your description alone...). Teenage pop and eletronica aren't in any way my thing.

I already knew of Hannah Ruick. The others are new to me, but of the three of them, and without listening the first two, I can easily imagine myself finding more in touch with The Belle Brigade (going by your description alone...). Teenage pop and eletronica aren't in any way my thing.

Yeah, I connect the most with The Belle Brigade too -- without question. "I Didn't Mean It" actually sounds inspired by my alltime favourite band, Supertramp.

When I said 'electronica' about Vinyl Williams, I might have been a bit premature. There are synth elements in there, but it's mostly floaty, acoustic, experimental rock. I've edited the post accordingly.

Btw, I wonder if there any of his other grandchildren I've missed that also pursue a musical career?

An interesting piece of information in Hannah's bio at Soundcloud: "She is a sixth generation singer/songwriter musician with a musical pedigree few could match."

SIXTH generation? If she is one, Joseph is two, JW is three and JW senior is four -- who are the remaining two? I'm guessing it's on Johnny sr.'s side but we really don't have any knowledge of his parents. Must be some local musician in Bangor, Maine where he grew up. We DO know who Esther's parents are, but not what they did for a living.

Of course, the line can also go back other ways -- through Hannah's mother or through Barbara Ruick back to her parents Melville Ruick and Lurene Tuttle and further back.

Oh, man....here I am doing Williams family trees again. LOL! :)

If memory serves, Barbara's dad played the violin, though at an amateur level.

Melville Ruick was mostly an actor, but in those days you had to play on a lot of strings (no pun intended) to be in the entertainment biz, so I wouldn't be surprised if he had some musical talent as well. Same goes for Lurene Tuttle, really -- foremost an actress, but with a great voice talent that was maybe put to use in songs now and then?

Whichever direction you choose, though (Barbara or John), there has to be at least two generations prior to their parents in order for Hannah's bio to be correct.

Don't you think that's a little sick? Music may run in the family. But starting a thread like this somehow implies that each Williams relative automatically inherits the Williams sound, because the music travels genetically - or you can catch it through airborne germs if you're not a blood relative.

Thor, you've gone too far.

Gee, thanks for the encouragement! :)

Seriously, though, it's fine if you think that. Hopefully, all of this will end up in a book some day. Then all of these details will prove crucial -- both about the personal life and the music (which are often connected).

I've already started writing a biography of sorts about the years 1932-1958. I think it's unfortunate that no real JW biography exists (this is one of the most famous composers of the last 50 years, after all), so a while ago I decided to take matters in my own hand and do the research on my own.

Maybe if it gets published some day, you can benefit from it too?

I've already started writing a biography of sorts about the years 1932-1958. I think it's unfortunate that no real JW biography exists (this is one of the most famous composers of the last 50 years, after all), so a while ago I decided to take matters in my own hand and do the research on my own.

You mean, pry the information from JWFan and FSM members? ;)

Good luck with the research! :)

You mean, pry the information from JWFan and FSM members? ;)

Good luck with the research! :)

Yes, that's certainly one part of it (hence all these topics about obscure Williams). But I'm obviously also doing a lot of 'off-camera' work, as they say -- both trodding the interwebz and contacting various people. Thanks!

• 2 years later...

Yeah, it moves forward naturally, which is in itself worthy of praise. I reckon the sort of sensibility that results from is what lives in the genes.

I like that DM9/F# in the video Ricard posted above. Major 9ths in first inversion with the secundal clash between the 7th, tonic and 2nd are one of Donald Fagen's favourite chords, and Trevor Horn made a great use it as the opening chord to Grace Jones's Slave to to the Rhythm.