Nostalgia

karelm

Cool article reminded me of seeing Star Wars back in 1977 and waiting in these lines as a small boy.

http://blog.sfgate.com/thebigevent/2012/10/04/star-wars-opens-at-the-coronet-are-you-in-these-1977-photos/#7684-22

I saw TPM in 1999 at the Coronet theater and was reminded of the enthusiastic audience however the film did not exceed expectations as it did back in good old 1977. I know this topic has been raised before but I liked the pictures of the long lines and it reminded me of what it was like to experience SW for the very first time.

I wish i had been there in such an important time of cinematic history.

The only one I will be able to say in the future will be: "I was there, when Titanic opened in the theaters, where they were all packed with crowds!" :mrgreen:

I remember seeing Star Wars when it opened in the UK in early 1978: I had seen a black and white photo of the film (showing the moment when Luke and Ben, as they ride into Mos Eisley, are stopped by Stormtroopers) in our local newspaper and I think that had been my first encounter with the movie. I was hooked, of course, from that first screening. I was only five years old.

The movie I really remember being excited for , though, was Superman: The Movie the following year. That same year must have been when I got my first recording of some of JW's music when my mum and dad got me an album of themes for sf movies and tv, conducted by Geoff Love. I don't think I got a John Williams soundtrack proper until The Empire Strikes Back on vinyl or Jedi on audiocassette in '83. I even remember 'Darth Vader' making an appearance in the toy department of our local department store in around 1980. That was very exciting.

Close encounters was a strange experience for me. It was very scary and a slow movie for a kid. I remember feeling it had lots of false starts where I thought something was going to happen but it ended up being monotone dialogue. But wow was the ending a big payoff. By this time I was already a big JW fan and the final 20 minutes were so full of mystery and magic with grand score that you left the theater euphoric!

I do have a nostalgic relationship to the old STAR WARSes, but not from watching them in the cinema. I'm too young for that (being born the same year as the first STAR WARS came out). My nostalgia stems from VHS and/or TV viewings in the mid 80's and onwards. I don't really have a nostalgic relationship to the new ones either, as I was really too OLD at that point (I was 22 when THE PHANTOM MENACE came out). So I really fall BETWEEN the two generations. There are some of us too.

I don't post much even though I've been around since the beginning of the site, but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in on this one. I still vividly remember seeing Star Wars back in June of 1977 (guess it took a month for it to make its way to metro Atlanta), right after I'd gotten out of 6th grade. It was late morning on a Saturday and the dad of one of the families down the street from us was going to each house on the street that had kids and asking if they wanted to go see the movie. He'd just seen it the night before and was so excited about making sure all of the kids on the street got to experience it too. So their must have been about 9-10 kids piled into this guy's station wagon and we headed to catch the noon-ish showing. Still remember the theater I saw it at (although its long since disappeared) and remember getting one of the Darth Vader Lives buttons which I prompty lost a day or so after. I totally loved it (the original Star Wars is still and always will be my favorite movie of all time) although was totally confused by some of the names since I hadn't really read anything about it, so I kept calling Artoo something akin to "Ok-too" for weeks until I saw how it was really pronounced. Good times!