Halloween classic films

filmmusic

Oh, I saw it at the cinema at the time.

have you seen the somewhat similar but less scary The Sphere too?

I'm gonna watch The Changeling (1980) tonight with George C. Scott. (a composer in a haunted house)

Has anyone seen it? they say it's creepy..

I'm gonna watch The Changeling (1980) tonight with George C. Scott. (a composer in a haunted house)

It's the best horror movie I've discovered for the last 20 years.

I've seen so many that are supposed to be "classics", this one is very effective in its genre (haunted house, ghosts, etc.).

changeling31.jpg

Oh, good to hear then.. :)

(saw yesterday "The Uninvited" [1944] and i loved it. I hope I like this one too.)

By the way, i was wondering if due to this film they hired George C. Scott for the TV film "A Christmas Carol".\

It's my favourite version (although I haven't seen yet 2 B&W ones)

Watched the Bad Seed Yesterday. so much fun.

If you've not seen the two black and white Scrooge/A Christmas Carol, then you haven't seen the really good ones.

It's the best horror movie I've discovered for the last 20 years.

Indeed. It's also got a seriously haunting score by Howard Blake.

• 11 months later...

I was wondering, what will be your Halloween film viewings this year?

Though we don't celebrate Halloween here in Greece, since I'm crazy about films and seasonal films too (Christmas, Easter, halloween), I have invited a couple of friends on Halloween to "unofficially" celebrate it by watching Christine (1983) from my TT Bluray. :D

19650_large.jpg

I would prefer some others like Halloween (1978), Poltergeist etc. but one of them has seen them, so..

Also, my first preferance would be Fright Night (1985) (LOVE this for Halloween), but I'm waiting to get the new re-released TT Bluray on January.

I would also love to watch a Disney Halloween animation short before the film (you know, like at cinemas in the old days), but that would be too much for them.. :lol::P

eg. this:

This Halloween season we decided to delve into random picks on Netflix in addition to some old favorites - we watched:

Trick R Treat

You're Next

Resolution

The Worst Witch

Chillerama

The Willies

The Strangers

Toy Story of Terror

Most of them were pretty awful (Worst Witch, Chillerama, The Willies). We really liked You're Next. The Strangers and Trick R Treat were old favorites.

We'll watch the Charlie Brown special and the Garfield special on Thursday (Trick or Treat night) or Friday (Halloween proper), and maybe another scary movie of some sort.

oh, the trick or treat thing is on Halloween's eve? I didn't know that.

Apart from Toy story and trick r treat, i have never heard of the other ones.

I assume they are films after 2000?

I've also discovered another old animation Halloween special today, don't know if it's good.

Fat Albert's Halloween

never had heard of this series.

As for Charlie Brown, I admit the first time I watched some of those, I was surprised.. They felt peculiar.. Can't explain it.

But then I got used to the style and loved them.

Trick or treat date depends on where you live. If Halloween falls on a Friday, Sat, Sunday, my area does trick or treat on a Thursday. If Halloween is Monday, Tues, Wed, Thurs, then trick or treat falls on Halloween night. I think this is because there is significantly less participation on Fri/Sat/Sun (Halloween parties, football, travel on days off, etc).

The Willies and The Worst Witch are 1980s but not worth your time. My partner has attention problems and finds things with slower paces difficult to watch, so we do tend towards newer movies. The Strangers and You're Next are both home invasion stalker horror. Resolution is more of an addiction drama with a supernatural bent. Chillerama is a horror comedy anthology with movies in the style of earlier decades (1950s monster movie in the style of The Blob, 1960s beach movie, 1930s monster movie in the style of Frankenstein, a more modern zombie movie) except the horror definitely plays second fiddle to the comedy, and the comedy falls flat in 3/4 of the segments. The Worst Witch was a bad 1980s TV movie with Tim Curry. The Willies is a horror anthology - a bit cheesy, but showed promise. There were only two segments though. If they had tightened up those segments and maybe added a third, I think it would have been much better.

The original Fright Night is on my to-watch list, although I think it will be a struggle to convince my partner because of how much she disliked the remake.

This Halloween season we decided to delve into random picks on Netflix in addition to some old favorites - we watched:

Trick R Treat

You're Next

Resolution

The Worst Witch

Chillerama

The Willies

The Strangers

Toy Story of Terror

Most of them were pretty awful (Worst Witch, Chillerama, The Willies). We really liked You're Next. The Strangers and Trick R Treat were old favorites.

We'll watch the Charlie Brown special and the Garfield special on Thursday (Trick or Treat night) or Friday (Halloween proper), and maybe another scary movie of some sort.

Glad someone else liked You're Next.

The original Fright Night is on my to-watch list, although I think it will be a struggle to convince my partner because of how much she disliked the remake.

well, with Fright Night you can't get more classic than that!

I totally enjoyed it!

Also, another film I enjoyed very much recently was The Blob (1988)!

(Have seen the original (1958) too)

An American Werewolf in London also is enjoyable for a friends night..

Yeah, you gotta see it man! It's probably one the funniest horror movies ever. And intentionally so. It's so much fun!

I like the S-Mart ending better, but the other one it's great too. More in tone to what would actually happen to Ash.

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart!

This is my BOOM-stick!!