[FILM] The Exorcist the version you've never seen before

Remains one of the most unsettling movies ever made. Not merely because of the (famous) scenes involving demonic posession, which are all well done and still shocking to this day. But it's the scenes around that aspect that really give the film it's classic status.

Much of the film considts of subtle but unrelenting psychological terror of a single mother who's daughter begins to exhibit unusual behaviour. Nothing serious at first. some pills are perscribed and "let's wait and see what happens" and slowly the mother, and her daughter go through countless procedures with doctors, then shrinks untill there seems to be only one logical avenue remaining

Medical science, and the science of psychology is shown as ignorant, and useless in this film. The child Regan is subjected to invasive and frightening medical procedures, strapped in while huge scanners circle around her (looking at it today, 1970's hospoitals and medical equipment looks ugly, noise, scary and inefficient.. Mreanwhile in the background of the a police investigation into the death of a friend of the family slowly lets the mother, played to perfection by Ellen Burstyn that is CANNOT be just a braintumor or psychological condition.

Interwoven in this is the story of Fathert Damien Karras, a priest/psychiatrist who though his work, and the horrible conditions of his mothers passing has slowly begon to lose his faith.

The films has a great cast Ellen Burstyn is pitch perfect ar a mother slowly driven to insanity. There is a great scene between her and Lee J. Cobb in which he seems to get ever nearer to the mark. (Cobb gretly resembling Columbo in this role). She tries to be polite and helpfull while coming to the realiztion that her daughter killed one of her friends and doesnt want the policemen to start susecting this)

Jason Miller brings an edgy believability to his role as a Catholic priest who's lost faith. This film features several priests and paint them as for thoughtful and dimensional then the doctors and scientists.

Linda Blair became famous after this film. Starting out as a sweet and atrictive young girl, and ending up ravaged, much like would happen latter in her life.

The film opens with a series of scenes set in Iraq featuring an elder priest played by Max Von Sydov. While the excat meaning of this prologue is never exactly explained in the film. It sets up the eventual arrival of Sydows character late in the film tro perform the actual exorsism.

That scene is basically a battle between elaborate special effects versus words of scripture. The genius of casting Von Sydow in this relativeloy minror role means that the words from the Bible gets spoken with absolute authority.

The 9 minute scene could have been a ridiculous display of cheesy effects versus cheesy hocus-pocus.

William Friedkin directs the film with a merciless eye for pacing. The film is actually rather slow. And the scenes of demonic terror are few and far between. But this help shroud the film in a blanket of dread. The camerawork by Owenb Roizman gives the film a great (though very 1970's look). The mirky fould streets of 70's NY, the more posh look of Georgetown, hospilatls with a clinical and off putting look and finally the iconic shot of Von Sydow's Father Merrin arriving at the house.

exorcist-regans-window.jpg

Music is very sparse in this film. Even Tubular Bells is only briefly used.

The film is ending might be quite puzzling for a first time viewer. For such a slowly paced film it's conclusion does come rather sudden.

Also, throughout most of the film Ellen Burstyn's character is front and centre. After Father Merrin arrives she all but dissapears (not so much a complaint as an observation.)

Background reading (and the ill-fated sequel) reveal that Regan did not actually get possessed by satan, but instead by a demon named Pazuzu. This is not apparent in the film at all, unless you know of the book, or reconize the statue in the beginning of the film..

This 2000 cut has some extra scenes that flesh out the story a bit. I'm not sure the "spider-crawl" and the few CGI inclusions of the demonic face really add anything to the film though. The spider-crawl seems to come pretty much out of no where.

This are minor quibles though, in a movie that is still as gripping and unsettling as it was when I saw it some 20 years ago.

**** out of ****

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No!

It's a decent film though. With Hackman in good form as a fish out of water.

It has more character development of Popeye Doyle, so I guess some mistake that is having more substance. But the film had a very slow middle section, and the final action scene on foot (while good) can't compete with the epic car chase.

I think the spider crawl fit the new edition well. It was filmed back then, they only removed the wires with CGI. Acceptable for including a really creepy scene

Also, I am wondering if there's a deleted scene that explains how Regan got her face all cut up because they just show her that way all of a sudden

Or maybe not showing these things is part of what makes the film work

I saw it in 2002 in the theater and I don't really want too see it again because it's one of the few films I find too intense to watch over and over

Unfortunately, possible. I reckon it's one of those that I've seen segments of many times on various programs, but never seen the entire movie. Or maybe I have, but long ago? For example, I don't recall the Iraq scenes you mention

Sorry, i had to ask this here:

i see in imdb, in the trivia of Amityville horror that:

The rejected Exorcist score has subsequently been released on CD and is completely different in every respect.

That's false, right? Is there an official cd?

edit: Oh, i think I found the answer.

They probably mean the suite that is in a Warner Bros cd.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The 2000 version is about as unnecessary as a film can get. I know that Blatty always wanted this version, and I'm sorry that Friedkin decided to pursue this project. It was worth watching if only to further reinforce how important editing is, and how excellently the original was edited. It was a taut religious and psychological horror movie. The beginning scenes established only what was needed for the characters in order to put them on a terrific steady build to the horror that was to come. It had a nice little coda which ended with a mournful tone, but with a certain hope. More importantly it didn't linger.

I haven't seen this newer in over a decade, but I recall not minding the added hospital scenes. Actually felt they worked well. The spider-walk scene was jarring when I saw it in the theater the first time, but it didn't fit in or make sense. The biggest miscalculation is the extended ending with the Wuthering Heights discussion. It's nonsensical. They took a perfectly serviceable and appropriate ending and destroyed it. After being put through the ringer, this is hardly what you want to be left with.

The spider walk was only removed from the original version because you could see the wires. So it makes sense to put it back in. Plus it's in the book.

I also liked the new scene where Karras studies audio tapes of Regan's real voice. It gives more of an insight about what he's thinking and makes of the whole deal

I still feel there's something missing in the film between when Regan still looks normal and her possessed look. You don't really know what happened in between

I agree, the true horror of The Exorcist lied behind the door (and in our head).

Alex

The true horror lies in the scenes between the blatant and shocking stuff. (vomit, teenage girls masturbating with a cross). The psychological terror in the hospital scenes etc is far more interesting.

Good flick. Bad re-edit. Stupid Warner Bros will only release the new version in Australia so I have to order the US version from amazon.com to get the theatrical version.

I even like some of its B-grade clones like The Possession and The Last Exorcism.