Poll: Will Bombur Speak?

24 members have voted

1. 1. Will Bombur Speak in DoS?

• Yes
    • No
    • Who gives a sh*t?

BTW, I totally agree with you that PJ is making a mistake in turning The Hobbit in another 9 hour epic akin to LOTR.The book doesnt support that

Yes that is where the shifts of tone come from. Suddenly hilariously silly and irreverent to Tolkien (The Forest River fun) and dead serious the next moment with fate of the world hanging in the balance (Gandalf Investigates stuff).

Oh and I can't wait to see Dain Ironfoot come riding in with his battleboar. ;)

The solemn tone when the Dwarrow reach Erebor and manage to open the secret door is just right though. Shore's development and use of his Dwarvish material is outstanding.

I absolute agree! Ken Stott as previously said is in top form there along with the rest of the company and Freeman. It is a rather important moment in the novel as well with no whimsy at all so PJ did excellent job with that.

The solemn tone when the Dwarrow reach Erebor and manage to open the secret door is just right though. Shore's development and use of his Dwarvish material is outstanding.

I absolute agree! Ken Stott as previously said is in top form there along with the rest of the company

The rest of the Company? The Dwarves are just standing there, with almost no lines of dialogue, because they clearly had to make room for more Taurielisms like: "If we do not fight, then our enemy won't encounter any resistance".

Now now I remember Glóin being wonderfully shocked and reverent as he read the inscription in the secret door's lintel.

Which one is Glóin again? And Óin? And Bifur, Bofur etc etc?

Two films and i can only positively identify:

Thorin

Balin

Killi

Filli

Bofur

Obelix

You just asked which one is Bofur, then sai dyou can positively identify Bofur.....

I have found that I can always identify the individual dwarfs, especially now that I have seen the appendixes

Thorin and Balin are obvious

Bofur is the one with the hat that sings the song in the AUJ EE, and overall gets the most lines out of all the dwarves after Thorin and Balin

Kili is the only other one without a long beard, that falls in love with Tauriel, and Fili is his brother with the dangling braided 'stache that was cast after all the other dwarfs

Dwalin is the bald one that shows up first in Bag End, and likes to head-butt things

Bombur is the fat ginger

Bifur is the one with the axe in his head that only speaks dwarfish

That leaves Oin Gloin Ori Dor Nori.... Ori is the one played by that young newcomer, with the slingshot. Nori is his older brother that always has all the concealed weapons the elves are finding. Dori is the one with braided grey hair

Gloin is the one that had pictures of his wife and Gimli. I guess I can't think of anything specific about Oin....

Not really, no. You had a sense he could kill an awful lot of Orcs, but not take down a whole army by himself. In The Hobbit, Legolas is like this invincible war machine, which almost makes him look like a pussy in LOTR by comparison.

Unfortunately, that's true.

I actually don't think they feel as different as some people here claim. A bit lighter yeah. But to be honest, LOTR was full of unlikely stunt and fight scenes. The action during the river scenes is no less over the top then Legolas killing an Oliphant and sliding to safety on his trunk, or ghost radiating a green glow sweeping across an entire army....

The ghost army stunt and Legolas' moves were the stupid, cringeworthy bits in the LOTR battle scenes. And in DoS, he seems to be ONLY doing this sort of stuff, and without much effort.

You mean the Mirkwood river?

Obviously.