Some John Williams master tapes are on ebay right now....

Jay

What a cool find! As per the item descriptions, it looks like he's gonna be selling a set of master tapes for Close Encounters too. IMHO, that's the one we should buy!

So doe this mean this guy has the stuff we need for a better sounding Jaws and TESB release

Wait it doesn't say these are John Williams scores, maybe it's the movie audio

Wait it doesn't say these are John Williams scores, maybe it's the movie audio

Musical Master Tapes from JAWS.

Musical Master Tape from STAR WARS.

Could it be that Sony never re-masterded the SW scores because they couldn't find these tapes, and now some idiot is selling them on ebay as "movie memorabilia"

What I gather is these are backups of the original master (he calls it personal safety backups) and from the letter from Star Wars, some of the original masters are missing (as of 2007). I don't see why it is theft to own a backup if the originals were lost.

But what's that 2007 letter about, Lucasfilm trying to locate music masters..

Does anyone have a link to this letter from Lucasfilm? Are only the "Star Wars" masters lost or all the original trilogy masters?

Just click on the ebay links, the letter is attached to the items as a picture

Thanks, I didn't look at the other pictures, only read the description. I am little confused by the letter. Is this the first time we've seen this letter? And what was the point of it, exactly, since it wasn't addressed to a specific person? Also, if the original masters were lost, what was used to create the 1997 RCA Special Edition release? I am assuming the letter is talking about the music from the 1977 "Star Wars" and not the other films. Sorry for all the questions...

Also, if the original masters were lost, what was used to create the 1997 RCA Special Edition release?

Copies.

I dunno, the 1997 c.d.'s weren't from the true master tapes from what I understand . I'm thinking maybe they were looking to make new re-masters in 2007 and can't find better tapes

so that's why we never got new SW releases?

Also, if the original masters were lost, what was used to create the 1997 RCA Special Edition release?

Copies.

Really? The RCA "Star Wars" sounded pretty darn good to me... as for the other RCA Special Editions... they had their own set of issues, IMO.

Many years ago, I read that masters for ROTJ couldn't be found at the time, so they used 3rd or 4th generation copies instead... hence why the quality is so poor. With ESB, it mixed incorrectly without care, but I'm not sure if the original masters were used. Also, I've read that better, higher quality masters for ROTJ were found, but the article didn't provide any more information. To my knowledge, none of this has been confirmed and the link to my source is now dead, so who knows.

Oh yeah, 97 SW used the original masters.

I'm confused, then... The original masters were used for the 1997 RCA, then lost and then partially found as of 2007 (according to the letter)?

I dunno, the 1997 c.d.'s weren't from the true master tapes from what I understand . I'm thinking maybe they were looking to make new re-masters in 2007 and can't find better tapes

so that's why we never got new SW releases?

Indeed we got a "new" release in 2007. They wanted to find the tapes, but they couldn't. So they released a 30th Anniversary with the same stuff from the RCA Special Editions with the DSD mastering from 2004.

These tapes belonged to John Neal, the recording engineer/mixer on these films. They are probably part of his estate.

Has John Neal just died?

He passed away in 2009

With ESB, it mixed incorrectly without care, but I'm not sure if the original masters were used.

I'm sure it was mixed with care, but Mike Mattesino was on an incredibly tight schedule.

I wonder why it was such a rush back then that they couldn't complete the project correctly, then they make no effort for the next 15 years

why does Jedi sound so shit and some cues are from film stems?

The cue that accompanied Lando Calrissian’s flight through the inner workings of the Death Star (titled “Superstructure Chase” on the Special Edition CDs) was not recorded at Abbey Road. “We had to go to Olympic for a day and record there,” explained Eric Tomlinson. “And we filled the studio so full – we even had to put the piano on end so that we could get the last cello players in!”

Olympic Sound Studios were located at 117 Church Rd in Barnes, London. Studio 1 was 62 feet by 42 feet with a 28 foot ceiling. Equipment at Olympic included a custom made 24 - input wrap - around console together with custom speakers and amplifiers designed by studio manager and chief engineer, Keith Grant. The microphone cabinet was stocked with AKG, Neumann, Pearl and Telefunken types.

The orchestra in the “Superstructure Chase” sounds reduced in trumpets , horn s and woodwinds and several performance errors can be detected that are not readily audible in the film. “I went down to talk to John Williams while he was conducting,” recalled Tomlinson. “And he just leaned over and said 'it’s like conducting a silent film!’ He couldn’t hear a damn thing in there.”

“I took it back to Abbey Road and I spent days trying to make it sound like Abbey Road, like the rest of it, and I just couldn’t,” explained Eric Tomlinson. “We gave up in the end. And although it sounded OK in the studio at Olympic it didn’t match up with the preceding or following cue. They almost dropped it but it was too important to drop.”

http://www.malonedigital.com/starwars.pdf

With ESB, it mixed incorrectly without care, but I'm not sure if the original masters were used.

I'm sure it was mixed with care, but Mike Mattesino was on an incredibly tight schedule.

I thought Eric Tomlinson and Brian Risner mixed the 1997 Special Edition of ESB, with Risner doing the bulk of it?

I thought Eric Tomlinson and Brian Risner mixed the 1997 Special Edition of ESB, with Risner doing the bulk of it?

Mattesino was credited with the editing and assembly, while Risner is credited only for being the transfers.

I have no knowledge of Tomlinson being involved at all

Many years ago, I read that masters for ROTJ couldn't be found at the time, so they used 3rd or 4th generation copies instead... hence why the quality is so poor. With ESB, it mixed incorrectly without care, but I'm not sure if the original masters were used. Also, I've read that better, higher quality masters for ROTJ were found, but the article didn't provide any more information. To my knowledge, none of this has been confirmed and the link to my source is now dead, so who knows.

All infos are on the FSM Issue Vol. 2, Nr. 1.They found five reels of 24-track Empire music. Nick Redman decided to take those because of the hugh increase in quality. Brian Risner have to re-balanced the half of the score in six hours. Micheal Matessino looked over his shoulder during the process.

The other half are taken from the digital transfers by Bill Wolford in 1993.

For ROTJ there is a statement from Matessino in Vol. 3, Nr. 3. He said, he hoped the quality was better, but after careful comparisons with other sources, that one was the best. He also stated that a considerably portion of this set were the same reels they did for the Anthology. Due to inferior use of tape stock the reels didn't age well.

EDIT: For ESB they used the 24 track master, session masters, a magnetic music stem from the film and the Polygram album master. Not the transfers by Bill Wolford. Sorry for false infos.

Thanks for the information! I hope these reels on eBay fall into the right hands so they can be properly preserved and possibly used as a source for a future release.

Matessino didn't do those bad TESB mixes on the 1997 CD, that was Brian Risner (but yes, the tight schedule is to blame irregardless, not the mixer)