Jaws: The Quadrophonic soundtrack release.

Back in the day, somewhere in the 1970's most likely. The OST of Jaws was released in a rare 4 channel surround format.

Quadrophonic sound was something of a fad in those days. Several manufacturers bringing out their own, incompatible systems, leading to this innovation's failure. (similar to the way both SACD and DVD-a never caught on)

110655206384_zps3a26bb8f.jpg

A few years ago someone made a DVD-A version of this 4 channel Jaws release. In 96 Khz, 24 bit resolution.

It's an excellent LP rip, virtually no distortion or pops and clicks at all, so just that fact would lead it to have some interest to us JWfans. Basically a high res version of the OST.

But whats most interesting is that for this 4 channel release, they actually did a completely new mix of the OST. And it's really noticeable.

Because of the availability of 4 channels rather then two, there are a lot of details that show up, that are buried on the OST. Also the mix seems generally more balanced. Both the brass and basses a bit less pronounced. And lastly, they used alternate takes for this release.

The most noticeable being in Chrissie's Death.

Compare the climax (starts at around 1:03) in the OST version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuuoifcFl5E

With the climax (roughly same time stamp) of the quadrophonic release.

The OST is mainly drums and anvil, while the quad version features jagged strings and muted brass too, which are featured on "First Victim" from the Collectors Edition soundtrack, but that tracks doesnt have the anvils.

In 4 channel surround this certainly isn't a sonically accurate release of how an orchestra should sound. Sea Attack Number One has the harp going in the right surround while the violins are going in the left front, for instance. But it has some very cool stuff too. The celli and violins are playing off each other in The Underwater Siege for instance.

For a connoisseur of the Jaws score, the DVD-a is sure worth looking out for.

I can actually hear the bassoon doubling the double basses in the shark motif leading up to the first "bite" on Chrissie. And the strings are much clearer, adding a more visceral effect when Chrissie starts to be sloshed around. The only thing is the climax. I prefer the simpler approach of just having the percussion hammer it out. No need for extras there. Still, a superior mix to be sure.

Is this all available on YouTube or is it just the one cue?

There's more depth to everything in the quad edition. I hear the anvils but more in the background

Are you hearing it in quad., or in stereo?

The Youtube clip is in stereo

Yet, you can still hear the difference? Cool.

I have quadraphobia.

I have quadrophrenia! Can you see the real me? can you? can you?

While one can debate the perceptible sound differences between SACD and CD, it is undeniable that SACD, like DVD-Audio and Blu-ray Audio, offers with its discreet multichannel sound an additional option which many value highly, me included.

When I compare my Hybrid SACD's, listen to them and switch back to CD track, the SACD track does indeed sound better. Maybe it is audible when you a have Hifi equipment, only. I am one of those, who also tell you the Gold CD from Schindler's List does sound different, compared to the original MCA OST and even The Star Wars Trilogy Sony DSD does sound a slight different when compared to the RCA's. "Most" audible with The Empire Strikes Back.

Why was the original album from Jaws with quad never transfered like the japanese LP did? I sounds very good!