I'm new here...

FilmManiac79

Hey everyone,

Brand new to the site...but I can tell already I'm going to love it. I'm a huge JW fan (obviously), and I have a couple questions.

-What's the deal with "The Sugarland Express" soundtrack?? Is it available ANYWHERE?

-What's the best way of getting a hold of some of his harder to find albums (Dracula, The Reivers etc.) I've gone to places like Amazon.com and they're quite pricy. Any suggestions??

I could probably dig deeper on the forums to find the answers...but I just wanted to do my first post.

Here's a top 10 just to give you an idea of my taste:

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. A.I.

3. Hook

4. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

5. Superman

6. Raiders of the Lost Ark

7. The Witches of Eastwick

8. Heartbeeps

9. A New Hope

10. Earthquake

This list could change tomorrow...but currently these are my favorites.

Welcome to the Forums! :)

To answer your questions:

1. Sugarland Express: Apparently John Williams is not too keen to have this score released for some reason and so to this day there has not been a release of it at all. So sadly it is not commercially available apart from few re-recordings of the main theme done by John Williams and BPO and Erich Kunzel and Cincinnati Pops and Prague Philharmonic Orchestra over the years.

For a reasonaly good soundtrack database where you can check different releases of various scores I recommend The Soundtrack Collector database.

2. I think hunting down the out of print John Williams scores is tough if you are not willing to pay at least a moderate sum for them since they have become collector's items after all. With good luck or carefully scouring the internet you might stumble upon a cheaper copy at some retailer but from recent experience I know that places like Amazon market place can be good places to start even though the price might look steep for a single CD.

I wouldnt put much effort looking for long out of print Albums. Specially if they are extremely overprized.

Seeing as how things are going lately with special labels, they will eventually be (by the least) re-released.

It has happened to me already 3 or 4 times that i bought an album only to be expanded or re-released the following year...

Oh, and welcome!

It has happened to me already 3 or 4 times that i bought an album only to be expanded or re-released the following year...

On the other hand, in many cases it seems we're all just waiting for years until someone takes the plunge and buys a long out of print release just to assure that an expanded & remastered edition comes out a few days later. ;) I know I've done it once or twice, though always just for regular sales prices.

Seeing as how things are going lately with special labels, they will eventually be (by the least) re-released.

Indeed. Titles like Dracula and Jaws 2 will be available again in a near future. It's just a matter of time and patience :P

2. A.I.

3. Hook

5. Superman

8. Heartbeeps

9. A New Hope

10. Earthquake

Heartbeeps ftw!

I wouldnt put much effort looking for long out of print Albums. Specially if they are extremely overprized.

Oh, and welcome!

Yeah that is sometimes highly irritating when you have just bought a rare OOP CD and they release the complete or expanded version of it soon after. I think that has luckily happened to me only once or twice. Let's see if Earthquake or Eiger Sanction are re-released in the near future since I only bought those last autumn for a rather steep price. :P

But with patience I am sure I can fill the last holes in my collection, Conrack, Paper Chase and Towering Inferno (+all the still completely unreleased stuff).

-What's the deal with "The Sugarland Express" soundtrack?? Is it available ANYWHERE?

Many, many films have no soundtrack come out at the time of the film's release, and The Sugarland Express is no exception. Other Williams films such as The Long Goodbye, Cinderella Liberty, Family Plot, Midway, Black Sunday, etc also never had OSTs at the time of their film's releases. The difference is that the modern day specialty labels where able to make releases of those scores happen decades later, but they have been unable to do the same for Sugarland Express because Williams has requested it not be released for unknown reasons. Perhaps after he passes on one day, a CD release will happen. In the meantime, you can get a single track from the score conducted by Williams himself, on this great CD:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00000271M

There also was a bootleg CD of the complete score a couple decades ago, though the sound quality is abysmal.

-What's the best way of getting a hold of some of his harder to find albums (Dracula, The Reivers etc.) I've gone to places like Amazon.com and they're quite pricy. Any suggestions??

There unfortunately is no legal way to get those OOP CDs right now without spending a lot of money. Your 3 options are to save up the money for the third-party prices; wait and hope for an official re-release someday; or illegally download them. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

There unfortunately is no legal way to get those OOP CDs. Your 3 options are to save up the money for the third-party prices; wait and hope for an official re-release someday; or illegally download them. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Your first two ways are legal, and the first is also actually a way to get the CDs.

Many, many films have no soundtrack come out at the time of the film's release, and The Sugarland Express is no exception. Other Williams films such as The Long Goodbye, Cinderella Liberty, Family Plot, Midway, Black Sunday, etc also never had OSTs at the time of their film's releases. The difference is that the modern day specialty labels where able to make releases of those scores happen decades later, but they have been unable to do the same for Sugarland Express because Williams has requested it not be released for unknown reasons. Perhaps after he passes on one day, a CD release will happen. In the meantime, you can get a single track from the score conducted by Williams himself, on this great CD:

There also was a bootleg CD of the complete score a couple decades ago, though the sound quality is abysmal.

There unfortunately is no legal way to get those OOP CDs right now without spending a lot of money. Your 3 options are to save up the money for the third-party prices; wait and hope for an official re-release someday; or illegally download them. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

That's pretty much what I figured. I just wasn't sure if there was some special way of getting them that only die hard fans would know about. Thanks for the help!

Hey everyone,

Brand new to the site...but I can tell already I'm going to love it. I'm a huge JW fan (obviously), and I have a couple questions.

I could probably dig deeper on the forums to find the answers...but I just wanted to do my first post.

2. A.I.

3. Hook

5. Superman

8. Heartbeeps

9. A New Hope

10. Earthquake

Interesting number 10.

"CE3K" at number 4? 4???!!! Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Welcome, dude. :)

"Cinderella Liberty" did, Jason, because I bought it on vinyl in 1975, on the Pye label, no less.