What if, for Episode III.......

UCFKevin

........instead of using the Star Wars main theme right when the credits begin, Johnny W actually uses the Imperial March?

Would folks hate that because it's different, and every other SW movie uses the SW theme at the beginning of the end credits, or would anyone here actually embrace this version?

I think I'd really dig it, if they were done well, anyway.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it would definitely be very alarming. it would be hard to pull off in my opinion and would be a very bold move. maybe for the sake of it being a part in a series in which every other chapter is structurally the same, it wouldn't work. and many people i would think would dismiss the idea on sheer principle. but maybe it would be very effective. i have pondered this idea myself, what it would be like if Williams used different music either in the beginning or the end of the film, say if he created a new theme for the prequel trilogy and used that for the opening titles of all three new films. i think it is an interesting concept, but i'm not sure that it would be the best thing, when Lucas himself continues to talk about the very clear structure that all these films have. to break that for the last movie, which is only the middle of the "series," would be taking an enormous risk, even a leap of faith.

Ted

........instead of using the Star Wars main theme right when the credits begin, Johnny W actually uses the Imperial March?

Would folks hate that because it's different, and every other SW movie uses the SW theme at the beginning of the end credits, or would anyone here actually embrace this version?  

I think I'd really dig it, if they were done well, anyway.

Well that all depends. Would it just be tracked in from previous versions or an all new recording? :|

Neil - who actually thinks this is a pretty bad idea. Sorry, Kevin.

There was a rumour way back before TPM came out that Williams wrote an alternate, "daker" main title cue. Anyone know if this is true?

Marian - who'd be interested in seeing a Star Wars movie open with the IM. (It would certainly surprise at least 90% in the audience, even those mostly unaware of movie scores)

Holy shit...imagine that? :|

It'd be pretty cool, that's for sure...but what's a Star Wars movie without that opening?

Neil, no big deal. Wasn't really expecting you to like the idea, anyway.

Nah, main title should be the same or they should have used the darker version for all the prequels which they didn't.

There was a rumour way back before TPM came out that Williams wrote an alternate, "daker" main title cue. Anyone know if this is true?

I believe so, based on Quo Gons theme. It never got past a piano version.

Anyway, I think that idea is more acceptable, but to suddenly change the main title at the end of the prequels = bad idea.

Or, I know that Star Wars hints a lot, he does the fanfare, then throws in a few transition bars that contain hints of the Imperial March, then goes into the Main Title. They would have to lengthen the scene alittle.

~Conor

It would have been great if he had done this since the beginning of the new trilogy.

But now, it would be a crime for the "entirety" of the saga. And, of course, there is George Lucas who decides when to use copy/paste.

Well, imperial march as opening titles has already been used in TIE Fighter videogame... but i think it would not fit for amovie...

About the end credits i think they should have avoided the rebel fanfare in the prequels and used the force theme instead. It would make more sense and i would not be THAT different...

If they wanted to change the opening titles as one based in Qui-Gons... well it would have sounded alot different, but in the other hand Lukes theme would not appear in the movie...

Luke, who would like to hear it...

Well, imperial march as opening titles has already been used in TIE Fighter videogame...

...in exactly the way Conor suggested. ;)

but i think it would not fit for amovie...

I think it would. But since Vader supposedly only appears at the end of the movie, it probably would be out of place.

Neil - who actually thinks this is a pretty bad idea.  Sorry, Kevin.

As often times before I agree with Neil.

Now Kevin if you were to suggest that at the end they not use the Star Wars theme at the conclusion, then I could live with that. And use the Imperial March as the conclusion, would work, since the ending must by its very nature be very dark.

Are you talking about the music that's played RIGHT when the end credits begin?

If so...uh......that's what I'm talking about.

If not.....then what are YOU talking about?

...actually, it'd be cooler if Jerry Hey composed and arranged a new song especially for the end credits, sung by Madonna.

(By the way, Kev, I'm sure many people here thought you meant the text crawl at the beginning.)

I would actually like to see JW and Lucas join to make for a musical and theatrical change that would definately make all SW fans happy.

I would like to see the movie open with the "End Credits" music accompanying the credits themselves. Bypassing the entire film.

Now there would be a change we could all be happy about.

They could call it SW: Episode III: The Merciful End

or perhaps........ to fit more with "Return of the Jedi"

SW: Episode III: The Euthanasia of the Series

As far as end credits, I think it would be a bad move. It's been the same for all the five films, and it would be jarring to suddenly change the end music for one film, just because it would be cool.

And if the main titles at the beginning were changed, I'd storm out of the theater. :mrgreen:

Just think of the audience reaction if the end credits began with the Imperial March. What a downer that would be, huh? THe last Star Wars movie ever ending with one of the most evil themes ever, hopeless, etc. I think it'd be hilarious, but perhaps a little off putting.

It was merely a thought. Of course I'd rather the normal end credits theme be there, but eh...you never know......

That would suck. The End Credits should end with the largest performance of the Imperial March to ever hit the Star Wars Saga. Oh well it doesn't matter Lucas will just edit the living Hell out of it. :angry:

Justin -40% joking for the last part. :mrgreen:

:angry:

I honestly don't think it would work now, not after all these films,

But I hope that the main theme will be played with a bit more power like it used to be.... If you compare the new recordings with the old you'll find that the trumpet plays very subdued were the old recordings used to have a great feel about the main theme. Very bold and powerful. I suppose Williams wants to bring the trumpets more in the orchestra but I feel that the feel has been a bit compromised

Yeah, both the opening AND end credits of the prequels have been pretty subpar, although AOTC"s CD version of the end credits is awesome with the Anakin/Imperial March ending.

But I DEFINITELY agree that the movie SHOULD have the most powerful, dangerous, frightening version of the Imperial March that we've ever heard. Also maybe same for the Force theme.......

Oh, to hear a full concert version of the Force on the Episode III album...