Ricard

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did say this? Do you have a quote?

Marian - who wants proof. :mrgreen:

Go here.

The response to this guys request comes immediately from Martin Blythe, who is Paramounts top video guy.

Neil

I agree with Neil. A couple of years ago Paramount re-released the trilogy on video casette, and the artwork that is supposedly the artwork for the dvd, is almost exactly the same for the most recent releases. I remember when I bought them a few years ago and being a little shocked by the new title of "Raiders." Nevertheless, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the official artwork for the upcoming dvd's given the somewhat recent release of the Digitally Remastered VHS tapes.

Ted

"Be optimistic" can mean a great many things. I wouldn't get my hopes up. He could mean they're in the near future, which to these guys could translate into "within the next three years", or hell, even just simply meaning, "Don't be a pessimist, it's bad for you."

Damn this realism of mine.

1- The Indiana Jones films are not serialized. They are all separate stand-alone adventures. The Evil Dead films or the Alien films are serialized. Each of those films picks up exactly where the last one left off.  

why didn't they name the first movie "indiana jones and the raiders of the lost ark" in the first place?

2- Simply because the title Raiders of the Lost Ark makes much more sense. Indy is one of the raiders, but the new title makes him sound like he's a separate entity.

Neil

1- That's why Indy IV does make sense (although a new trilogy would be better IMO)

2- That's why I keep saying it should be Indiana Jones and the Lost Ark. In every movie (and by the way, book and videogame) the title is Indiana Jones and the 'archeological thing'. Anyways they also could call them Raiders of the Sibalinga stones ( :mrgreen: ) and Raiders of the Holy Grial...

Curiously, it happens the contrary than with SW. Everyone calls SW IV ANH, Star Wars, and Raiders is commonly named Indiana Jones and the Lost Ark, at least here.

Sorry Luke but that was among the weakest arguements I've read on this board, almost as if Morn had written it. No one but you Luke calls it Indiana Jones and the Lost Ark, that isn't a commonality. You are just one person, so to say commonly is false. Also Star Wars was released in the theatre as Star Wars and then later as Star Wars EpIV ANH, Raiders of the Lost Ark has never been released in the theatres as anything but Raiders of the Lost Ark.

What everyone seems to forget is that when Raiders of the Lost Ark came out, no one had ever heard of INDIANA JONES.

It was a unique story and character, remenicent of the old serials but still very unique.

There was no trilogy planned Luke, None, did you even know that.

NO ONE expected Raiders to be the hit that it was. It was just the latest film of the wunderkind Spielberg, and in Hollywood your only as good as your last film, and Spielberg's last film was 1941.

In fact there really isn't a trilogy at all. There are currently 3 films and the is a planned fourth. The films are connected by a main character and a set of secondary characters. The movies are no different than James Bond films. It is a film series. It is not a trilogy in any sense like the first Star Wars Trilogy, which has a common plot thread woven throughout.

Raiders of the Shankara Stones makes no sense because they were stolena and belonged to someone/somegroup. The Ark was lost. Indiana was one of the raiders, in the 1st film, but in TOD he wasn't a raider, he was chosen to rescue the stones. And only in the village they were helping was that stone named sibilinga, the rest were Shankara stones.

And Raiders of the Holy Grail, is a stupid title, since Last Crusade is the most appropriate and dead on title possible

I mean really! Honestly! I don't give a toss if they change the title to Indiana Jones Episode 1.2 : Phantom Raiders Attack of the Lost Cloning Arcade, just give me the DVD already!!!!

Sheesh!

i've always known it as "indiana jones and the raiders of the lost ark" and that's what everyone i know calls it. but, i also don't care what they decide to call it as long as we get it soon.

I have to defend friend-Luke. What he said makes sense :mrgreen:. I have heard (sometimes) Raiders named as "Indiana Jones and the Lost Ark" or even just "The Lost Ark".

So, Joe, it's not a weak argument.

For the covers, it's good they were confirmed to be fake, as they were hideous.

I just call it "Raiders." I don't think ANYONE really calls it that long ass title. But regardless......it IS just a damn title.....not really that big a deal at ALL.

No, Luke, that would be changing the title, not merely the necessity of adding the trilogy title to it. With the episodic nature of Indianna Jones a trilogy title is important or at least some form of consistancy.

What everyone seems to forget is that when Raiders of the Lost Ark came out, no one had ever heard of INDIANA JONES.

So what, now they have.

So what, now they have.

Another typically stupid response from Morn.

Sorry Luke but that was among the weakest arguements I've read on this board, almost as if Morn had written it.  No one but you Luke calls it Indiana Jones and the Lost Ark, that isn't a commonality. You are just one person, so to say commonly is false. Also Star Wars was released in the theatre as Star Wars and then later as Star Wars EpIV ANH, Raiders of the Lost Ark has never been released in the theatres as anything but Raiders of the Lost Ark.

It was a unique story and character, remenicent of the old serials but still very unique.

There was no trilogy planned Luke, None, did you even know that.

NO ONE expected Raiders to be the hit that it was.  It was just the latest film of the wunderkind Spielberg, and in Hollywood your only as good as your last film, and Spielberg's last film was 1941.  

In fact there really isn't a trilogy at all.  There are currently 3 films and the is a planned fourth.  The films are connected by a main character and a set of secondary characters.  The movies are no different than James Bond films.  It is a film series.  It is not a trilogy in any sense like the first Star Wars Trilogy, which has a common plot thread woven throughout.

Raiders of the Shankara Stones makes no sense because they were stolena and belonged to someone/somegroup.  The Ark was lost.  Indiana was one of the raiders, in the 1st film, but in TOD he wasn't a raider, he was chosen to rescue the stones.  And only in the village they were helping was that stone named sibilinga, the rest were Shankara stones.

And Raiders of the Holy Grail, is a stupid title, since Last Crusade is the most appropriate and dead on title possible

Look, Joe, READ BEFORE POSTING. I said in the end: 'at least here' and you can see what scissorhands (thanks :) ) answered.

And about the Raiders of whatever thing i was half-joking. Anyway, you seem to like the Raiders kind title better...

And Raiders of the Lost Ark, as far as i'm concerned, has not been re-released on theaters, so your staement is true but cannot be compared to SW.

PS: And i already know that they are like the James Bond movies. Heck, the two guys cannot stay with a girl more than a movie! But about the title, 66 % of James Bond movies do not have the title in the same way, i think)

I find this whole "the films are serials" argument to be nonsense.

The Indiana Jones series are no more "serials" than the Godfather films are.

Would you like to rename Godfather Part I "Michael Corleone and the Mafia of Doom"?

I don't think so!

I always felt it was dumb putting the character name in the titles. People know its the series is Indy so why does it need to be in the title?

I don't hear people call the 2nd SW film "Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back". Its redundant.

So what, now they have.

Another typically stupid response from Morn.

An answer to a failed attempt to make a point. I mean.... you never said why the circumstances of the original release are important. Quite frankly I think it's stupid to hold on to the idea of the original release as sacred.