Interstellar SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion thread

Jay

Nothing really, except for getting a full account of the Endurance mission and learning that at least two of the three worlds were uninhabitable.

Right, so Coop being found alive is more for cinematic reasons, than story reasons. Therefore the biggest reason is for the audience to get to see him reunite with his daughter, which is of course a very satisfying thing to the audience to see, especially after the dialogue he has with Hathaway about her. Therefore, it's a bit of a shame that we don't see more of their reunion, imho. I personally like very much that she knows him well enough to know that he'll want to be the one to hop back in the wormhole first and go find Hathaway to let her know humanity's on their way to join them, especially after what Mann went through.

Therefore, it's a bit of a shame that we don't see more of their reunion, imho.

I would have personally liked Nolan to linger on this a lot more. Maybe have Cooper stay with her for a while until she passed away, and then go on his heroic mission.

Wait please answer me this.

Since they got separated, will time not have passed at different speeds for Cooper and Brandt? Cooper came a LOT closer to Gargantua then she did

I just posted that on the last page!

Personally, I wasn't confused by the movie at all, and didn't need any charts to explain anything to me.

Since they got separated, will time not have passed at different speeds for Cooper and Brandt? Cooper came a LOT closer to Gargantua then she did

The fifth dimensional beings can place him anywhere (any time) they want. They chose to drop him off as humanity's new space station was nearing Saturn

The last piloting stunt around Gargantua costs both Cooper and Brand the same amount of time. As Cooper falls into Gargantua, he's pulled into the Tesseract rather than towards the singularity, so apparently he doesn't acquire any more time slippage. He and Brand remain on the same timeline. Where he ends up in space is a result of where the wormhole is, and where ends up in time is just based on the amount of time that has gone by. "They" don't really place him anywhere he wouldn't be naturally.

Hmmmm.

The film even states that it's not possible to travel back in time.

Wha? So they can have Coop go back to tap out messages to the past, but not actually end up there? Why? Why would such an advance civilization have such limitations?

Hmmmm.

The film even states that it's not possible to travel back in time.

Wha? So they can have Coop go back to tap out messages to the past, but not actually end up there? Why? Why would such an advance civilization have such limitations?

Because that's the nature of time. Like Brand says, "they" can experience it in a spatial way, maybe, but we can't, because we're stuck in four dimensions. Cooper's timeline continues naturally, but outside of the rest of the universe's. He can interact because gravity can function across spacetime, but even "they" can't actually put him into a different moment.

The fifth dimensional beings can place him anywhere (any time) they want. They chose to drop him off as humanity's new space station was nearing Saturn

Making his mission all the tougher to complete eh? ;)

Well I was wrong when I said that, as TGP later clarified.

He popped up there because that's the other side of the wormhole, at that time because that's where humanity was at now due to him experiencing time differently from being near/in the black hole

I wonder if a second viewing will take care of the "Matt Damon Surprise Effect".

When he suddenly appeared in the film it was all I could see. "WTF! Matt Damon is in this?"

I didnt see his character, I just saw him.

I had learned that Matt Damon was in the film somewhere, and when he hadn't shown up yet and Coop told the other guy that Hathaway was in love with one of the astronauts, I assumed Damon was going to be that guy. I was kinda surprised when by the end of the film we never even saw that guy

Wow, that's a very different film.

I prefer some of the old plot points and prefer some of the changes.

I like the idea of visiting just the one planet. And the idea that the probe takes them to the NASA site, not Coop.

OK I just finished reading the article

Wow, that's a very different film.

No kidding, right? It barely resembles that old script at all!

I prefer some of the old plot points and prefer some of the changes.

Me too. My favorite of the old plot points is the hidden Chinese base on the ice planet.

I like the idea of visiting just the one planet.

See I don't, I loved that in the film they get to explore 3 different worlds.

And the idea that the probe takes them to the NASA site, not Coop.

Me too. Not really a fan of those time travel paradoxes where a character learns something from a time traveler, and that time traveler originally learned it that way, so it's a loop.

And the idea that the probe takes them to the NASA site, not Coop.

Me too. Not really a fan of those time travel paradoxes where a character learns something from a time traveler, and that time traveler originally learned it that way, so it's a loop.

I agree. That was probably the least interesting part, and I saw it coming for miles.

Coop knows the coordinates to tap out because he's been there. He learned how to get there from Murph writing down the coordinates. Murph wrote them down because Coop tapped them out. It's a loop.

Yeah, would have been more plausible if it had happened by chance, or "fate" if you will.

The Chinese base thing is very interesting, as are the aliens. Though I wonder how it would have been pulled off...

I still don't get what the deal is with the Saturn Station. Was that what Cooper was trying to tell Murphy about in the time machine? If so, how exactly did the information he gave her translate to "build a station on Saturn".

I still don't get what the deal is with the Saturn Station. Was that what Cooper was trying to tell Murphy about in the time machine? If so, how exactly did the information he gave her translate to "build a station on Saturn".

No.

As Dr. Brand says early on, the NASA station itself is a space station - one of many. The problem is how to manipulate gravity in order to get them off the planet. The data that Cooper relays back from observations of the black hole allow the gravity equation to be solved, making the big colony stations a viable way of evacuating the planet.

The information Coop gave helped Murph solve professor Brandt gravity problem. The Saturn station didnt have anything directly to do with that. It functioned more as a confirmation that mankind had once again invested in space travel.

Yeah. The equation was necessary to evacuate the planet. And the station floating there proved they made it.

Otherwise the whole tesseract sequence would be rendered a bit useless!

That's a deleted scene from the film of course. He cut it out because he knew people would complain about exposition, but he's going to include it for the director's cut.

The Blu-ray should have a feature where every 5 minutes the film stops and Tyson explains the physics of what has happened in the last 5 minutes. A full theoretical analyses lasting 30 minutes per 5 minutes of film.

... if only Nolan relied more on exposition. Will he ever learn to tell, not show?

Nolan's exposition is only overbearing when the characters are explaining their exact emotional state or the philosophical ramifications of the situation. When it comes to the actual plot mechanics, the movie could have actually used more exposition.

Nolan's exposition is only overbearing when the characters are explaining their exact emotional state or the philosophical ramifications of the situation.

Yup.

When it comes to the actual plot mechanics, the movie could have actually used more exposition.

Nope.

Or more thinking/listening.

The mechanics of the plot shouldn't be what the viewer thinks about afterwards. It should be over less tangible things, like the philosophical questions that Nolan already beat into the ground with his exposition. Despite all of this, the movie still worked for me and is a step forward for Nolan's emotional sensibilities.