Interstellar SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion thread

Jay

Like I said, who has the time? I have to come to terms with the huge fault that is seeing uninformed opinions and feeling the overwhelming need to inform them. I can't keep up the missionary of non-stupidity thing. People think what they think and I can't make it my job to tell them why they're wrong any more than I already have.

If you could correct me you would but you cant.

Correct this, why does it tale a 3 stage rocket to get off the earth but on Miller's planet with 1.3 times our gravity the ship flies off the planet unaided by boosters.

Pub why the insult, what have I done to you?

The grey can't handle the criticisms all which are well aimed.

It's okay that you like a heavily flawed and possibly scientifically inaccurate film.

Like I said, who has the time? I have to come to terms with the huge fault that is seeing uninformed opinions and feeling the overwhelming need to inform them. I can't keep up the missionary of non-stupidity thing. People think what they think and I can't make it my job to tell them why they're wrong any more than I already have.

If you could correct me you would but you cant.

Correct this, why does it tale a 3 stage rocket to get off the earth but on Miller's planet with 1.3 times our gravity the ship flies off the planet unaided by boosters.

Because their craft is far smaller than a rocket and doesn't need such huge force. Think about it. If not for the problem of thinning air, a plane could continue upward into orbit. Presumably their craft, relying on its own small scale rocket engines rather than just aerodynamics, is able to reach the necessary escape velocity. Such "space planes" are perfectly feasible although this sort of ascent has not yet been achieved, but that's an engineering obstacle not a physical one.

You might then ask, why do they use a Saturn V booster in the first place? Could be an issue of conserving fuel, or maybe they have more payload with them. Most likely the first.

I ask you again. Is Interstellar an absolutely perfect film for you?

We've already been over this. Stop asking me the same questions over and over.

That does not compute. The craft was the same size on earth. It needed boosters to escape our planet. Miller's planet has stronger gravity than earth.

still a stupid answer Grey,

remember their craft sat atop a booster on earth. the boosters dropped off and the tiny craft docked with the larger circular craft

and their little craft was cool looking, not the same but it did remind me of the craft in POtA.

Ok Joey. So it's a stupid answer. But don't stop there. Tell me why it's a stupid answer. Observe, collect facts, and report back to me.

I'm really enjoying paraphrasing quotes from the movie into my responses in this thread.

But seriously. You asked for an explanation. I gave it to you. If it's stupid, come up with your own or stop thinking about it and go watch a movie you love.

And the odd thing is that this is so small a detail, something that is so easily filled in with, again, some common sense and imagination, and yet you NEED it explained. Where are the people who are sick of all of the Nolan exposition? How do they feel about this need for more explanations?

The Ranger, The Endurance, and the Lander. The 3 ships in the film.

its a stupid answer because it needed to be boosted into orbit from earth but it was able to achieve orbit from Miller's planet by itself. Again Miller's planet had a much stronger gravitational pull.

Joey, read what I said. It didn't need to be boosted from Earth. It was most likely to save fuel. Why use some of that precious resource to get into orbit when they can use an old booster?

I say again:

And the odd thing is that this is so small a detail, something that is so easily filled in with, again, some common sense and imagination, and yet you NEED it explained. Where are the people who are sick of all of the Nolan exposition? How do they feel about this need for more explanations?

Stefan, the Endurance is designed to emulate the international space station. Maybe it has burlap.

The International Space Station was destroyed by the debris field in Gravity!

Things went from bad to worse after that disaster. Without Internet the human race went into decline. The loss of information led to poor schooling and greater government control over information, like the moon landings being a propaganda stunt. Also the changing climate and plant diseases wreaked havoc with crops.

Interstellar started with Gravity!

Coming soon Interstellar 2, Planets 4, 5, and 6

then Interstellar 3, Planets 7, 8, and 9

Interstellar 4 pt 1 planets 10 and 11
Interstellar 4 pt 2 The last planet.

Lithgow does seem wasted. Caine is really weak. Wes Bentley is wasted. He would have been better cast as Mann. Damon is awful. His character is so stupid. Sorry but a trained astronaut does not make his mistake. The fact the first two planets don't even have breathable atmospheres is something we should all focus on. Sorry but cross them off instantly. The way they chose to pick and choose their science is annoying. The relativity of time was definitely toyed with.

Still the film has garnered many pages here which is something to be said.

Agreed. I think Damon's character, as fine an actor as he is, becomes typical stereotype and dumbs down the effort. I think this results in greater talent than the writing supports. But its still the best I've seen in years.

Joey, does a trained astronaut suffering from obvious psychosis brought on by extreme solitude and worse make the mistakes he makes? Does a person who, in his own words, has the best odds for survival he's had in a decade, act just a bit irrationally in pursuit of those odds?

He says himself "you haven't been tested like I was." And while we still think he's a prick, he's not wrong.

And while I'm at it, the planets. They only have rudimentary information from the probes indicating things like the presence of abundant water. That alone is worth investigating as Brand says: you don't see that every day in the universe. The promise of Mann's planet was of course fabricated, and Edmunds' ends up being the one after all.

Anything else?

In that situation, where life seems pointless, you're stranded in a distant galaxy far away and your one hope for your mission was extinguished, a psychotic episode is hardly unjustified.

I would think not. Obviously you think so. Still the one astronaut who was alone for 23 years didn't suffer the same.

It's the same problem I had with Danny Boyles film Sunshine. For me it was jarring that the film shifted into murder.

its also distracting when half the audience yells MATT DAMON when he appears on screen, defeats the performance before it really begins

Hence turning the notion that Mann was "the best of us" on its head. There was more than solitude as I said. There was hubris faced with defeat. Arrogance faced with failing the species. Romilly had no such evils gnawing at him. Gyasi's wonderful subtle performance makes it clear he's a gentle guy.

he was a kind soul. the most emotional part to me of the whole film was his reaction to their return, Sadly there was no weight to his death.

It made me mad. And eager to see how Mann was going to kick the bucket. And I loved how much feeling there actually seemed to be in TARS' report that he couldn't save him.

At first I thought Doyle's death was weirdly incidental. But there's a sort of honest brutality to it. It made me very uneasy to watch his character the second time knowing what a distant and strange fate he would meet. In that way I think Nolan very expertly captured the more terrifying aspects of nature and space.

Answer this Grey since you will remember was Brand without her helmet in the end? we could not remember

I was thinking she took it off. Either way I think Edmund's planet was the right choice.

Just a reminder - this was a film about personal loss and longing of a father and a daughter. The setting was intersteller. But I don't think that was the point.

“Love is the one thing we are capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space" is an awful line, almost Lucasian. Yo Chris, human beings don't talk like that.

For me the personal 'heart' of the film didn't work at all. Hoary cliche after cliche. Benjamin Button in space.

I thought it was a good movie. Flawed but good. At least Nolan tries to challenge his audience, not always well but he tries. I was surprised at how well done the science was. The facts were all right, just distorted slightly for science fictions sake. Are you listening JJ Abrams?!

The one thing that bugged me: no human, no matter how smart, stands at a book case and suddenly decides "this quantum anomaly is my dad cause he said Stay!"

I was otherwise ok with the Love thing. It is a recurring theme of human nature throughout a lot of our literature. If I were to hate it now I would have to despise a lot of good literature.

That was the whole point of the love thing. Among other helpful nudges to characters it kept her focused on the bookcase and the task that her father gave her to understand what was really happening at the beginning of the film.