DANNY ELFMAN - Concert at the ROYAL Albert Hall December 12th 2014

publicist

Wow..... sounds like a really awesome night!

London sure gets a lot of cool events!

Thats why it needs JW one more time!

If only it would happen.

Great writeup, Publicist! I have very little to add ;)

Overall it was an awesome concert, I really enjoyed the mostly long suites for each score. The one exception being Corpse Bride - the selection of cues was very sparse, I guess owing to the fact that much of the score is songs, and the "Victor's piano" solo was quite unconvincingly played - it sounded quite forced at times and the tempo was all over the place. The extended solo violin cadenza in Edward Scissorhands, on the other hand (no pun intended), was very engaging - very virtuosic and sparkling with energy while incorporating some free variations on the score's themes, even if the acrobatics of the soloist very a bit much for me sometimes *g*.

Since we had choir seats, we didn't really see much of the screen, but that was secondary for me, anyway.

Hilarious moment during the last encore: Mauceri donning a Santa hat and speaking Santa's lines to Elfman in the Oogie Boogie song from Nightmare.

Did anyone get an opportunity for autographs? I forgot to pack anything to sign before the trip, so I didn't even try to see if Elfman appeared anywhere after the concert... (also we were quite tired after walking through London the whole day)

Some impressions:

The Albert Hall was extremely packed:

P1020636.JPG

Applause for the solo boy soprano after the Alice in Wonderland encore:

P1020644.JPG

Elfman getting on stage for the final encore (Oogie Boogie's song):

P1020645.JPG