BloodBoal

I found both options convincing in their own way, which of course does no help you here BB.

If I was pressed (liked here) I would go with the first option, which goes for an operatic death plunge. It has more weight to it and was perhaps removed because it was indeed so grandiose it overpowered the moment.

Then again the second version would conform to the use of the music in the film with score up to the point Smaug dies and then silence until the Company sees the burning town and Smaug's death.

Arrgghhh! This is too difficult.

:lol:

I knew you were going to be indecisive about this, in true Inky fashion!

"Ask not the wizards for advice, because they will tell you both 'yes' and 'no'." ;)

It really depends on what kind of effect they were after and not knowing that it is difficult to say with precision where this particular piece of music should exactly go. Thus I am indecisive. And I am glad I can be.

He was answering more important questions, telling us his favourite pizza and clarifying that unsavoury incident between him and Conrad Pope at Wellington Town Hall.

I have no idea what the correct answer is, but I would guess its probably like in your first video, except there was probably more a pause during Smaug's final breath before the album material starts

I'm only going to say this scene should have been on film 2. It would have been a perfect ending, and the 3rd film could have started with the aftermath of the destruction.

It would also not created the situation that ruined the contonuity of the title card music.

I agree. I find it to the most jarring of the opening scenes. Usually with these Middle-earth films I'm dragged in right away, but with this it took me some time, probably that great shot of the Dwarves journeying to Erebor with that magnificent music over it. It all went much too fast, and it didn't help that certain bits took me out of the film in terms of me finding them disagreeable - Bard ridiculously using his son as a prop, the wretched Kili and Tauriel scene, the beginning of Alfrid's unwelcome intrusions.

We should have gotten either a flashback to the meeting at Ered Luin OR something involving Sauron and the Rings. Both would have worked better IMO.

About that third version: I dunno, I still feel like the album choral music is for the fall, not the rise >shrug<

"The hobbit" having smaugs theme is completely wrong.

I agree. It should have been Thorin's theme, since this is first and foremost Thorin's story.

Well based on these films the movies should have been called Thorin's Tale Part 1-3.

Yes!

This is the tale of Thorin and his confrontation with Smaug. And Azog. And Thranduil. And Bard. And Bilbo.

Damn, the guy doesn't like that many people...

And nobody likes him. For some odd reason.

No joking

Someone in my theater cried out loud when Thorin died

That didnt even happen anywhere in LOTR, and I saw those movies a total of six times in theater

Many manly tears were shed on my end, I'm not ashamed to say. I ensured not to be noisy about it however, if that salvages any dignity I might have had at all.

No joking

Someone in my theater cried out loud when Thorin died

That didnt even happen anywhere in LOTR, and I saw those movies a total of six times in theater

I remember that in one showing there was a cheer when Aragorn beheaded Lurtz at the end of FotR and from a group of teenage boys no less. They were really taken in by that moment. Nothing like that for the Hobbit films. A lot of sniggering at the Forest River chase (I laughed out loud at the absurdity).

Many manly tears were shed on my end, I'm not ashamed to say. I ensured not to be noisy about it however, if that salvages any dignity I might have had at all.

I thought the scene was well done Barny, one the genuinely moving ones in the movie. Not enough to make me tear up though.

I will again say that the only laughter I heard was at moments we were supposed to laugh at

Freeman and Armiatage did act the hell out of that scene

But Thorin is an asshole the whole trilogy but two scenes. In the carrock (and the bastard forgots about it the next time he appears on screen in the next film) And his death.

It would take much more to even like him a little and feel for him, he is really protraited as a very bad person 90% of the time. He is completely unlikable.

Thorin treated Bilbo better at the start of the 2nd movie

but he degraded as soon as he got to the mountain

must be that good old dragon sickness

I cheered in the theater when he died!

Were you the only one?

No. The whole room cheered!

I find it hard to believe this!

anyway I feel like we are being distracted from the issue at hand

which is your topics!

Bloodboal: Have you tried finding the first piece of music after the dialed out choral material on the album that is in the film, and then working backwards from there to see where the dialed out choral music might have started?

Hmmm. I'd think the original intention was for the moment where Smaug reaches the height of his ascent and takes his last breath to be unscored, and the unused choral material to start when he begins his fall. Then, there's probabably a combination of micreodits on the OST and post-scoring film editing that makes the material after that not sync up with the Erebor title card, so you probably have to remove some footage where you think the microedit is at the very least.

I think the obvious answer is that we simply don't have the full piece, and the theatrical cut had the editors shift music around.

Remember that Doug said the version he saw was slightly different, so at this point, I don't think a definite answer is possible.

Yes, I think that one's probably the most accurate

Hopefully Faleel will dig up some stuff when the EE documentaries come out that could help us figure out this puzzle

I must say that Smaug death is more sad for me than Thorin's..

I dunno, they make him so cat like, that it is like seeing a kitty die, you can see his life die out in his eyes.